Beer Braised Pulled Pork

There is nothing new about braising with beer. In fact,  it should be the standard. Beer, as with all alcohol, is a natural meat tenderizer but it’s the flavors of the beer that make for braise meat that has a truly special taste. Micro brews are known for more intense flavor profiles and will always produce a vastly superior product when cooking than a macro brew. Craft beer is truly that, a craft. I have had a soft spot for Rogue brewery for years. Rogue is beer lovers beer, and dedicated to the art of the craft. Actual real life people making really good beer. If you live on the West Coast, this Portland Oregon brewery’s beer is probably at your local grocery store. It’s one of the few great craft beers that I have a fairly easy time getting my hands on.

What does braising mean? What a good question. Braising just means to sear meat at a very high heat and then cook it slowly at a low heat until cooked through. I used another amazing craft beer for this recipe. Rogue’s Chipolte Ale:

Beer Braised Pulled Pork

Rub:

2 tbs kosher salt (yep, kosher salt on pork)

1 tbs sugar

1 tbs onion powder

1 tbs chili powder

1 tbs ground cummin

1 tbs black pepper

2 tsp smoked paprika

2 tsp dry mustard powder

3.5 lb Pork butt (It’s acctually the pigs shoulder, and sometimes called that. The actual butt is called Ham. I grew up on a bit of a pig farms so I know this stuff)

6 cloves of garlic, peeled

1/4 cup olive oil

44 fl ounces (2 bottles) Rogue’s Chipotle Ale beer

Start by mixing the the rub ingredients together in a small bowl until combined, set aside.

Take out your pork and stab 6, 2 inch deep holes fairly evenly spaced through the meat. Push a clove of garlic into each hole until no longer visible.

Rub the entire surface of the meat with the rub you just made, using it all.

In a large enamel, cast iron pot (like a Le Creuset), heat the olive oil until very hot. Sear all surfaces of the meat, even the sides, until browned. The entire process will probably take about 10-15 minutes.Then pour your delicious Rogue Chipotle ale over the meat (have a few sips, it’s really good beer), cover and reduce heat to medium low. Cook for about 2 1/2 to 3 hours, turning the meat over about every 30 minutes, until the meat is tender and falling apart.

Once the meat is finished, remove from the pot and allow to cool. Use two forks to shred into small, stringy pieces. Return to the braising liquid and allow to simmer for about 5 minutes. Remove the meat from the pot and discard the liquid.

I used this meat in three ways, on italian bread as a delicious sandwich, over rice and beans, and in a burrito. Other ideas for pulled pork include:

Pulled pork nachos

Pulled pork sliders

Pulled pork tacos

Pulled pork enchiladas

Pulled pork flatbread pizza

Pulled pork hand pies

Seriously, you could go all Bubba Gump about this and it would be endless. There is no shortage of uses for Pulled Pork.

, , , , , , ,

18 Responses to Beer Braised Pulled Pork

1. Heath Sharber September 26, 2011 at 1:17 am #

I feel that the more you know more about beer than most girls. I like it. It may even get me in the kitchen to actually cook.

2. Jeanene Kues September 26, 2011 at 1:17 am #

Pulled pork is a favorite of mine, but I’ve never seen it this way. Love it.

3. Rich in Richmond September 26, 2011 at 9:21 am #

Beer and pork. I love it.

4. Linda Rhodes September 26, 2011 at 9:02 pm #

YUM! Thanks for that awesome post.

5. Aden RIsch October 5, 2011 at 8:41 am #

I’ve had pulled pork before, but I’m actually going to try it this way. Great recipe.

6. Katie @ Blonde Ambition July 12, 2012 at 11:17 pm #

I have to point out (because I love Rogue, not because I don’t love your blog!) that it’s actually spelled/pronounced Rogue, not Rouge…

That being said, I absolutely love your blog! My boyfriend has introduced me to a lot of craft beers since we started dating, and now I love them. So many of these recipes would win me big points with him!

• The Beeroness July 13, 2012 at 12:04 am #

You are totally right. Spelling has never been one of my talents, I seem to always transpose letters in a way that defies the magic of spell check. Thanks for pointing it out, I fixed it. And since this was my second post (I think) it’s been wrong for a long time! Glad it’s now fixed, and SO glad you like my blog!

7. Rebekah Deans August 3, 2012 at 9:56 am #

What are your suggestions for doing this in the oven? I usually let mine sit at 200 for 6-8 hours in the oven but never tried it with that much liquid. I love your blog by the way! I’d take beer over water any day:)

• Jackie August 3, 2012 at 11:11 am #

Thanks Rebekah! I would cook it uncovered in the oven at about 250 for about 4 hours and check on it every 30 minutes or so, turning it occasionally. But sear it first for sure to seal in the juices while it cooks in the oven.

8. Joy August 24, 2012 at 9:56 am #

I’m excited to try this recipe. How many servings does it yield? Thanks!

• Jackie August 24, 2012 at 5:13 pm #

It depends on what you do with it, but about 6 to 8

9. Kasey April 24, 2013 at 7:54 am #

This recipe looks awesome and I can’t wait to make it thus weekend for my husbands surprise birthday beer tasting party! However, I can’t find the chipotle ale, everyone seems to be out and would love to hear what you would suggest as a substitute!
    Thanks :)

• Jackie April 24, 2013 at 9:21 am #

A porter or a stout should work just fine. Can you find a smoked porter? that’s always my second choice for this.

10. sippitysup June 14, 2013 at 11:19 am #

I’m making this today! Thanks. GREG

• Jackie June 14, 2013 at 4:13 pm #

That makes me nervous! I hope you love it.

11. Bill howes July 1, 2013 at 5:01 pm #

Made this and was a big hit and doing it again for the 4th of July

• Jackie July 1, 2013 at 7:14 pm #

That’s awesome! So glad you liked it.

1. Pulled Pork Braised with Scotch Ale Beer - February 28, 2013

[...] Recipe slightly modified from The Beeroness recipe @ Beer Braised Pulled Pork Recipe. [...]