Drunken Strawberry Tart with Beer Lemon Curd

Being wrapped in a world filled with food people, the lovers, academics and fanatics, I’ve often lost my footing. Forgotten the simple pleasures of small, honest meals for the sake of a journey towards the creation of an epic recipe. While surrounding myself with people who strive to reinvent the world of food as we know,  I’ve been so entranced that I’ve stepped away from the core of who I am and the food I fell in love with.

I am not a moderist cook.

I am not a chef.

I may never create an epic recipe.

I am OK with that.

It was through a process, not of self discovery but of self remembrance, that stumbled upon a memory that I had almost lost within my catalogue of food experiences. Under the thousand dollar dinners, PR events, celebrity chefs, and world renowned restaurants was a small Italian city, and a home cooked meal.

Years ago, on what turned out to be a 16 hour layover, I was stuck in Pescara Italy. A girl about my age, just past 21, took pity on a broke and confused American in her tiny local airport and asked if she could show her town to me. It began with a home cooked meal, from her own mothers hands on a rickety folding table in her living room, the only place in the small apartment that would accommodate us all. Homemade bread, a small green salad, smashed peas and a roasted chicken.

For dessert was a lemon tart. Simple, beautiful and tangy, made by the hands of a woman who didn’t speak a word of English, but who took time to cook for me even though we would never have the ability to have a conversation, and I could never properly thank her. This is the food that I fell in love with, and I am reminding myself to stay true to that.

I’ve done my best to make the beer infused version of the tart that was made for me in Pescara, and chose a beer that is nearly as fascinating to me. Cooney Island Lager has flavors that remind me a great meal made in spring, orange, citrus, bread and apples.

If you can’t find this beer, look for a low hop beer with notes of citrus, tropical fruits and bread.

Drunken Strawberry Tart with Beer Lemon Curd

For the tart crust:
  • 1 1/4 cups of flour
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 stick of unsalted butter, cut into small cubes
  • 3-5 tbs ice cold water
  • For the curd:
  • 1 tbs lemon zest
  • 2 whole eggs plus six yolks
  • 1 1/4 cup white sugar
  • 1 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice (about 6 large lemons)
  • ½ cup beer
  • 2 tbs corn starch
  • 1 stick unsalted butter, cut into cubes
  • For the Strawberries
  • 3 cups strawberries
  • ½ cup beer
  • 1/2 cup powdered sugar
  • For the Whipped Cream
  • 1 cup heavy cream
  • 2 tbs beer
  • 1/2 cup powdered sugar

• In a food processor, combine the flour, sugar, and salt. Pulse to combine. Add the cubes of butter and process until combined, about 1-2 minutes. Your dough should resemble course meal.
  • Start with 3 tbs of water, pulse until combined. If the crust doesn’t hold together add more water, a bit at a time, until it does.
  • Dump the dough into a 4 inch deep, 9 inch wide tart pan with a remove-able bottom (you can also use a pie pan). Starting with the sides, form the crust inside the pan, trying your best to make it all as even as possible. Cover with plastic wrap and chill for a least 3 hours.
  • Preheat oven to 375.
  • Place a sheet of parchment paper inside your tart and fill with pie weights. If you don’t have any, dried beans work great.
  • Bake for 20-25 minutes or until your tart is a light golden brown. Remove from oven, allow to cool slightly. remove pie weights.
  • Add the lemon zest, lemon juice, beer, sugar, corn starch, whole eggs and yolks to a bowl and whisk until well combined. Add the lemon mixture to a pan over medium/low heat along with the butter. Whisk until thickened, about 10 minutes. Allow to cool to room temperature.
  • Add the curd to the crust and chill until set, about 4 hours.
  • Just prior to serving add the berries to a shallow bowl of pie pan and cover with 1/2 cup beer. Allow to stand at room temperature for 15-20 minutes. Drain and return to bowl with the sugar, stir to combine.
  • Add all of the whipped cream ingredients to a stand mixer and mix on high until soft peaks form, about 4 minutes.
  • Top tart with berries and whipped cream just prior to serving.

, , , , , , , , ,

17 Responses to Drunken Strawberry Tart with Beer Lemon Curd

1. gerryspeirs June 12, 2012 at 8:26 pm #

What an awesome experience for you! A real meal with real people :) I’m trying to get to Italy next year and though I probably wouldn’t be as fortunate as you, I would love to experience life in the country with the locals and eat fresh farm food everyday…sigh.

2. Oh My Veggies (@ohmyveggies) June 12, 2012 at 8:28 pm #

This looks perfect! Lemon curd is quite possibly one of my favorite foods–now I really want to try making it with beer…

3. Kammie June 12, 2012 at 9:55 pm #

Sooo freaking cool! xo

4. Lynn @ The Actor's Diet June 13, 2012 at 12:17 am #

just discovered your blog – i don’t drink beer but i love baking/cooking with it! what an interesting recipe!

5. bakingwithbite June 13, 2012 at 7:09 pm #

This is so interesting. You had me at “drunken” lol. Definitely something I would like to attempt!

6. julia June 13, 2012 at 9:01 pm #

Give yourself credit, you do make epic recipes. This one, it’s pretty rad! Who thinks to put beer in lemon curd? You, and that’s epic!

7. Heather Christo June 13, 2012 at 11:00 pm #

Jackie- this recipe is just beautiful! I have a soft spot for Lemon tart, it is one of my very favorite types of dessert, if not food in general. I could have never imagined putting beer in the curd, and I am totally intrigued! Thank you for sharing your story too. XO, H

8. Stephanie June 20, 2012 at 2:20 am #

Oh, this is genius putting beer in the curd! This tart looks heavenly! And I love your story!

9. blogerine June 20, 2012 at 7:52 am #

Great story Jackie and the Tart is definitely on my list of things to cook.

10. Carrie D March 30, 2013 at 11:45 pm #

The one critique I have is that you did not mention the cook time for the short bread crust. I had to find it off another website. Other than that it is a great recipe.

• Jackie March 31, 2013 at 8:16 am #

Thank you! I fixed it.

11. Kim June 25, 2013 at 12:12 pm #

LOVED this! I wasn’t 100% sure how the person who I was making it for would like the beer or if I could find one like the one you chose, but I couldn’t resist making it! I tried using ginger ale and it was PERFECT. Loved the recipe <3

• Jackie June 25, 2013 at 12:21 pm #

Awesome! I’m so glad you liked it :)

1. Lunatic Loves These Links | Cravings of a Lunatic - June 19, 2012

[...] The Beeroness- Drunken Strawberry Tart with Beer Lemon Curd [...]

2. Cooking with Beer (now with 50 recipes!) « Worthy of Love - June 28, 2012

[...] Lagers: Sierra Nevada Summerfest, Stella Artois, Red Stripe, Negra Modelo Lagers are generally a great beer for cooking because of their light taste. It’s good for breads, beer can chicken, and also great for beer batters.  If a recipe just calls for “beer,” you’re best off using this light beer. Beer Battered Fish with Lemon Garlic Aioli Toad in a Hole with Onion and Beer Gravy Drunken Arroz Con Pollo Beer Battered Avocado Wedges Drunken Pinto Beans Beer Braised Pork and Apples Strawberry Tart with Beer Lemon Curd [...]

3. Cooking with Beer (now with 50 recipes!) « Something Savory - October 4, 2012

4. Gulab » Blog Archive » Inspiração na Mesa: Cerveja - March 12, 2013

[...] na cerveja e manteiga 3. Macarrão caseiro de cerveja 4. Biscoitos de batata doce com cerveja 5. Torta de morango com calda de cerveja 6. Picolé de cerveja com limão 7. Ceviche com cerveja 8. Sopa de cerveja com queijo e macarrão [...]