Oven Roasted BBQ Ribs With Stout Barbecue Sauce

I hate to break it to you but you have probably never barbecued in your life. How dare I say such blasphemous things, you toss burgers and steaks on the grill every weekend?!

That’s not Barbecue, it’s grill. And I would never take away from the fantastic results we can get with a backyard grill, and the amazing flavors that can work their way into your food, but it’s not barbecue.

Barbecue is long, slow and low and the temperature is usually between 240 and 270 degrees. Grill is short, fast and hot, a nice char with a juicy middle.

I wanted to see if I could use my oven to get close the flavors of true barbecue, and while I was missing the smokey flavor, these were some of the best homemade ribs I have ever had. The trick is long, slow and low.

Meat choice is important as well, I used Choice ribs. You know that cute little sticker that sits beside the label on your steak packages, baffling you to some degree with the designation of Prime, Choice or Select, as to why they can’t just be honest and say, “Great,” or “Pretty Good,” and, “Not that great, but it’s cheap!”

Here are the Cliffs Notes:

Prime: The best and most expensive

Choice: Still great, not as good or as expensive as Prime

Select: Not good, don’t bother

Unlabeled: Bad, didn’t even earn the lowly title of Select.

Inspected By The USDA: Don’t be fooled, all meat is inspected by the USDA. Some stores use this to distract you from the fact that it is an ungraded piece of meat, and therefore not any good. Prime is obviously the best, but also the most expensive. When I experiment with a recipe, I usually go with Choice because it is a good cut of meat, but if the recipe doesn’t turn out well I didn’t waste $50 on the venture.

Oven Roasted BBQ Ribs With Stout Beer Barbecue Sauce

4 lbs Bone In Baby Back Beef Ribs (Choice or Prime)

1 tsp salt

1 batch Stout & Sriracha BBQ Sauce

Preheat oven to 250.

Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil, place ribs on top. Sprinkle ribs with salt on all sides. Brush with BBQ sauce and roast in the oven at 250, turning ribs and brushing with BBQ sauce every 30-45 minutes until fork tender, about 4 hours.

Join me: Facebook, Twitter

, , , , , , , , , , , ,

13 Responses to Oven Roasted BBQ Ribs With Stout Barbecue Sauce

1. Dan July 10, 2012 at 5:19 pm #

What type of salt do you recommend? Kosher or sea salt or something else?

• The Beeroness July 10, 2012 at 5:31 pm #

Either Kosher or Sea Salt is fine. I’m a bit of a salt snob, I have salt from all over the world. I think I actually used Himalayan Pink Salt for this, but that’s completely unnecessary. I use Kosher salt more often than I use anything else.

2. Denise Wilson July 10, 2012 at 5:20 pm #

I made your sauce with baby back ribs this weekend! You can also do them in the crock pot and they are amazing! We did grill them off but they would have been fine right out of the crock pot. http://www.mylifeasamrs.com/2011/05/crockpot-bbq-ribs.html The sauce is stellar I was a little nervous about the smell of the stout, vinegar and sirachi but it was some of the best sauce I’ve ever tasted!

• The Beeroness July 10, 2012 at 5:32 pm #

That’s awesome! I love hearing that. I loved this BBQ sauce so much, I’m so glad you did too :)

3. Jane July 10, 2012 at 6:11 pm #

I think I’ll make these ribs tonight for the boyfriend’s birthday – although I’m going to switch up the recipe a bit….OK I’m going to switch it up a lot. I’m using pork ribs and my own BBQ sauce. BUT I’ll use the time and temp you used in your recipe!! Awesome info on beef grades as well – I really appreciate when people take the time to teach people about how to pick out good cuts of beef and which ones work best with what cooking techniques. I think I just gave myself a good blog post idea! :)

Love all your recipes, and LOVE cooking with beer :)

4. claire (@realnutritioncg) July 10, 2012 at 7:31 pm #

I just can’t handle this. I want to lick my computer.

5. teacher-chef July 11, 2012 at 1:50 am #

Yes Please – I’ll take delivery :-) when the heat goes down a little bit more, I cannot wait to try this :-)

6. missgrill July 11, 2012 at 4:28 pm #

Those look great! And i love to use the term barbeque incorrectly :D

7. eldie May 13, 2013 at 2:10 pm #

I’m hoping pork baby backs will work just as good or better…I’m trying it for a big group tomorrow.

• Jackie May 13, 2013 at 3:07 pm #

Yes, I’ve made them with both beef and pork ribs, and a lot of people prefer the pork.

1. Oven Roasted BBQ Ribs With Stout Barbecue Sauce | The Beeroness | Mr. Barbeque - July 11, 2012

[…] See the original post: Oven Roasted BBQ Ribs With Stout Barbecue Sauce | The Beeroness […]

2. Barbque roast | Finalpricevehi - July 12, 2012

[…] Oven Roasted BBQ Ribs With Stout Barbecue Sauce | The Beeroness […]

3. Stout Beer BBQ Ribs Recipe - April 28, 2014

[…] Now I’ve moved on to a sport that is a little bit more my speed, NASCAR, and it was time for a new meat. Since NASCAR is traditionally a sport from the southern United States, as is BBQ, I figured I would try out this recipe inspired by the Beeroness’s Oven Roasted Ribs with Stout BBQ Sauce. […]