Jalapeno IPA Hummus

This recipe has been in my brain for a while.

For weeks it’s been taunting me, begging to be flushed out, poured into my food processor and immortalized in internet print.

And this weekend three failed attempts to make IPA lemon bars that never really gave me the results I was hoping for coupled with this tweet:

gave this hummus it’s shot.

And I’m so glad that the stars didn’t align and the beer cooking God’s didn’t smile upon the IPA lemon bars (which have become my culinary nemesis, mocking me with vague imperfections) because this hummus was exactly what I wanted on a hot day. It didn’t last long.

For this recipe, I used one of my favorite IPA’s, Ballast Point’s Sculpin IPA. A beautiful example of an IPA, even if this one was sans Habaneros.

Jalapeno IPA Hummus

Jalapeno IPA Hummus

• 2 fresh jalapenos, stemmed, seeded and chopped (about 1/4 cup)
  • 3 tbs tahini
  • 1 1/2 cups cooked garbanzo beans, drained
  • 1/3 cup chopped cilantro
  • 1 tbs olive oil
  • 1 lime, juiced (about 1 tbs)
  • 1/2 tsp garlic powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/3 cup IPA Beer (plus additional if needed)

• Add all ingredients to a food processor and process until smooth. Add additional IPA for a thinner dip. Serve with pita or chips.
  • *Note: most of the heat from Jalapenos are in the seeds. If you want a hotter hummus, you can leave the seeds in. If the finished dip is too mild, add 1/4 tsp chili powder for a spicier dip

Join me: Facebook, Twitter

, , , , , , , , , ,

27 Responses to Jalapeno IPA Hummus

1. Edmund Lasketer July 20, 2012 at 5:42 am #

Great recipe! I love hummus and beer sounds great. I am not sure if this is truly the best place to ask but do you get paid for this? It’s a great site and you are so talented that I hope so.

2. Melissa July 20, 2012 at 12:59 pm #

On Friday’s I do a Fermented Friday post featuring a recipe using beer, wine or yeast. My post for today was also hummus using IPA. Great minds think alike! Your jalapeno version sounds delicious, I can’t wait to try it!

3. Jessica July 20, 2012 at 2:34 pm #

That looks amazing!

4. Ashleigh July 20, 2012 at 5:36 pm #

Oh my god… I need this. Definitely know what I’m doing tomorrow.

5. Katie July 20, 2012 at 6:51 pm #

Yeah, I could definitely eat that entire bowl.

6. paul July 20, 2012 at 7:27 pm #

Just made it and its fantastic! Came out more the color of guacamole than humus but taste superb. Thanks!

• Jackie July 20, 2012 at 8:00 pm #

Paul, that’s great! So glad
      You liked it :)

7. Rachel (teacher-chef) July 20, 2012 at 7:29 pm #

I LOVE Hummus & my Fiance is just started to get turned on to it… I think when I make him this version there will be no turning back & we’ll have a hummus addict on our hands :-)

8. Jenny @ Savour the Senses July 20, 2012 at 11:07 pm #

Yes! This is such a great idea, I love finding new hummus ideas =)

9. Cassie July 21, 2012 at 7:09 am #

I cannot wait to try this Jackie, fabulous idea!

10. Ed Hamppo July 21, 2012 at 9:41 pm #

I just want to say I am just newbie to blogging and certainly loved your blog. More than likely I’m planning to start cooking with beer and I find your recipes inspiring me to try out more and more beers in my cooking.

11. claire @ the realistic nutritionist July 23, 2012 at 7:29 am #

Ah!!! I love this!! :) My hubby would too!

12. Caralyn @ glutenfreehappytummy July 23, 2012 at 11:46 am #

how creative! this sounds amazing! so glad i found your blog!

13. Jeremiah July 23, 2012 at 11:49 am #

Badass! Making this tonight! Love me some hummus!

14. Katie @ Blonde Ambition July 23, 2012 at 1:25 pm #

Holy crap! This is a perfect combo of my boyfriends love (IPA), my love (hummus) and our shared love (jalapenos!). This is definitely getting made soon!

15. Felia August 1, 2012 at 5:45 am #

Hummus and beer? WOW! need to prepare this for the weekend!!!

16. Sean September 18, 2012 at 10:24 am #

I’m the founder/moderator for Punk Domestics (www.punkdomestics.com), a community site for those of use obsessed with, er, interested in DIY food. It’s sort of like Tastespotting, but specific to the niche. I’d love for you to submit this to the site. Good stuff!

• Jackie September 18, 2012 at 10:31 am #

Sean we’ve met! We had a nice chat at Linda’s (Salty Seattle) place during her Oyster Soirée BlogHer weekend. But I don’t think we exchanged cards.

17. Bob September 23, 2012 at 8:33 am #

Just made this with some rye IPA I brewed, pretty tasty indeed! Thanks. I think I might add some roasted garlic to this next time too.

18. Mrsbremmy March 8, 2013 at 4:21 pm #

I just made this. It is fantastic! Instead of an IPA, I used Billy’s Chilies Beer. Delish!

19. erika April 3, 2014 at 8:21 pm #

Just made this as a late night snack…. Hells Yeah! I used Red Hook’s Longhammer IPA and love how the flavor pops. Of course, I like mine with some heat. So, after processing all of the ingredients and a quick taste test, I added a couple dashes of jalapeno powder. PERFECTO!

Got those Lemon IPA Bars that you worked so hard on in the fridge right now, waiting on them to chill… =)

20. Mike McNally July 15, 2014 at 5:39 pm #

Looks like a great idea. I’ll probably toast the peppers in a dry skillet just to darken the flavor a little. Also pepper seeds aren’t really the spicy part; they’re not spicy at all. It’s the white pithy stuff that the seeds are hooked onto that has a lot of capsaicin. It is good to remove the seeds anyway even if you want to keep the pith because the seeds have almost no flavor and are indigestible.

Thanks for the recipe!!

1. The Gold, Silver, and Bronze of Pinterest « Brussel Sprouts and Beer - August 2, 2012

[...]  Next to try: Jalapeno IPA Hummus [...]

2. Friday Faves « Blonde Ambition - August 17, 2012

[...] at cooking & stuff” so I want to bring something homemade… But which one to choose? I need a food [...]

3. Brown Butter Sage Hummus & And The Web's Top Ten Hummus Recipes - Domestic Fits - October 29, 2012

[...] Jalapeno IPA Hummus – The [...]

4. 25 Awesome Hummus Recipes - What Jew Wanna Eat - July 23, 2013

[...] Jalapeño IPA Hummus from The Beeroness [...]

5. Roasted Garlic Brown Butter Hummus | Bake Your Day - July 29, 2013

[...] Hummus with Pine Nuts by The Lemon Bowl Jalapeno IPA Beer Hummus by The Beeroness Roasted Red Pepper Hummus by Inspired Taste Asparagus Hummus by Cookin’ [...]