Chocolate Stout S’Mores Bars

I have some s’mores trivia for you. I have a fascination with useless mundane trivia, and tend to  collect and expel said facts without provocation. So, here is the s’mores trivia I promised that you are undoubtably eager to get to:

• The recipe for s’mores was first published by the Girl Scouts in 1927. Further proof that those smug little culinary crack dealers have a long history with the creation of addicting sweet treats. (* this last sentence is not actual fact, just observation)
  • National S’Mores day is August 10th. More than enough time for you to whip up a batch of beer soaked s’more bars (*Actual fact).
  • The recipe’s original credit is given to Loretta Scott. But let’s be honest, stolen content predates blogs, no one really knows where the recipe came from. At least she didn’t steal their photo and submit it to Foodgawker. (*combination of fact, conjecture and emotional trauma resulting from web thievery)
If you have any random, little known or otherwise useless s’mores facts, I’d love to hear them.

Chocolate Stout S’Mores Bars

• 1 cup cocoa powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 cup flour
  • 3/4 cup chocolate stout
  • 3 cups standard size marshmallows

• Preheat oven to 350.
  • In a food processor, add the graham crackers and the brown sugar. Process until nothing is left but crumbs. Remove the stopper from the food processor lid. While the food processor is on, slowly add the 3 tbs melted butter and process until it resembles wet sand.
  • Add to a 9 x 13 pan. Distribute evenly along the bottom, pressing firmly into place.
  • In a bowl, beat the eggs and both sugars on high until well combined, about 3 minutes.
  • In a microwave safe bowl, add the chocolate chips and the butter. Microwave on high for 30 seconds, stir and repeat until melted and well combined. Add the chocolate to the egg/sugar mixture and beat until well combined.
  • In a separate bowl, mix the cocoa powder, salt and the flour until well combined. Add to the wet ingredients and stir until just combined. Add the beer and stir until just combined.
  • Pour the batter over the crust.
  • Place marshmallows in even rows across the top, leaving a 1/2 inch boarder along the edge.
  • Bake at 350 for 22 minutes or until the marshmallows are golden brown.
  • You still want the bars to be soft, don't over bake, they will continue to set as they cool.

27 Responses to Chocolate Stout S’Mores Bars

1. Cassie July 26, 2012 at 5:41 pm #

I would really love to have one of these right about now. The local brewery (Boulevard) makes a chocolate ale around Valentine’s day every year using Christopher Elbow (also local) chocolates, everyone goes crazy for it!

2. the fuj. July 27, 2012 at 5:19 am #

Definitely making these with Southern Tier Choklat soon.

3. marla July 27, 2012 at 6:21 am #

LOVE the addition of stout ~ these bars look great!

4. Erin @ The Food Doctors July 27, 2012 at 6:42 am #

Holy cow! Those look delicious. Beer, s’mores, and trivia – my day is seriously looking up.

5. Kiersten @ Oh My Veggies July 27, 2012 at 7:45 am #

I feel your pain on the stolen photo. I recently had someone steal three of my photos and recipes–she claimed one was from her “grandma’s cookbook” and the other two she learned in culinary school. Hilariously, when I did a DMCA takedown notice with her host, she filed a complaint against me saying that I stole the photos and recipes from HER. Crazypants.

Anyway! These look so freaking good. I can never justify the cost of the vegetarian marshmallows that they sell at Whole Foods, but I think I’ve finally found a worthy use for them. :)

• Jackie July 27, 2012 at 3:40 pm #

That is awful! Someone who clearly lacks creativity, morals and talent will never be a threat to someone who has it in abundance. She will sink her own ship

6. LA Beer Guy July 27, 2012 at 9:06 am #

I’m still learning from you, while I’m trying to cook with beer as well as you do, I hardly think I’ll come close. But I am always inspired by your posts.

7. Erin @ The Spiffy Cookie July 27, 2012 at 11:13 am #

How do you make a s’mores better? Add chocolate beer apparently!

8. Brie July 27, 2012 at 1:30 pm #

Here is a s’mores fact: They are delicious!!
    I absolutely love your take on them!
    I have some Young’s in my fridge at home… looks like I know what I’m bringing to the Olympic party this weekend!

9. Rebecca Walker July 27, 2012 at 5:25 pm #

Oh Jackie–I thought no “s’more” twists on S’mores were possible. But this…this is fantastically creative and gives it a grown-up flavor that I love. (Oh–I hope you recover from your Post Web Thievery Trauma. Perhaps there’s a 12-step program somewhere…? )

10. Marie July 30, 2012 at 8:25 am #

Made these bars yesterday for my husband and me…OMG soo rich and delicous. I think decadent is probably the best word I can think to describe them. I’m going to have to give some away just to keep us from eating the WHOLE pan! (not that anyone will object to that of course) I love how creative you are using different beers in all sorts of recipes and I can’t wait to try more! :)

• Jackie July 30, 2012 at 11:59 am #

I’m so glad you liked them! I came pretty close to eating the whole pan myself.

11. Gerry @ Foodness Gracious July 30, 2012 at 9:30 pm #

August 10th huh? My creative juice box is flowing already. I pledge to make something with beer and if I can’t then I’ll just drink it while making the smore’s..it still counts right?
    Awesome recipe!

12. Bald Beer Guy July 31, 2012 at 1:56 pm #

What i don’t realize is what an art cooking with beer is! You’re so intelligent. keep it up.

13. Mike Brown August 1, 2012 at 2:12 pm #

F*ckin’ awesome. I totally made this and it ruled.

14. Holden Tasker August 15, 2012 at 10:20 am #

Made it! I love it and them! So sweet.

15. Silvia September 14, 2012 at 9:07 pm #

how do you think the brownies would taste if you used more beer and it was boiled down to be 3/4 of a cup? would they taste more beer-y???

• Jackie September 14, 2012 at 9:12 pm #

You can do that. Or you can make what I call a “beer extract” and reduce a bottle of beer to about 1 tbs an add that, that will up the beeryness :)

16. Kristi @ Cherry Jasmine April 14, 2013 at 4:34 pm #

My oh my oh my Jackie… you continue to deliver the BEST recipes! I made these today and they are superfabulousfantastalistic. Yes, that’s a word. After trying these, it is definitely a word. Nuf said.

17. Kristy June 15, 2013 at 2:48 pm #

Maybe I’m overthinking this, but does 10 graham crackers mean 10 whole, large rectangles?

• Jackie June 15, 2013 at 3:51 pm #

Yes, the standard size they come in a regular package

18. Andrea September 16, 2014 at 6:57 am #

Have you ever made cupcakes out of these? Would the recipe need to be modified at all?

• Jackie September 16, 2014 at 11:05 am #

I’ve made similar cupcakes, it works pretty well. The only thing you’d need to modify is cooking time. Maybe 20 minutes total?

1. Chocolate Stout & Marshmallow S’mores Bars | Cherry Jasmine - May 9, 2013

[...] Recipe found and adapted from @ The Beeroness recipe Chocolate Stout S’Mores Bars. [...]

2. Grilled Guacamole - Domestic Fits - July 1, 2013

[...] Stout S’Mores Bars [...]

3. Food – S’mores | Everything Cool - July 3, 2013

[...] Source: thebeeroness.com [...]

4. La Fuckin Witch- A Craft Beer Halloween Video | Tasting Nitch - October 31, 2013

[…] meadery collaboration Ghost Stories while sitting around the campfire munching on home made chocolate stout s’mores from The […]