Vanilla Bean Smoked Porter French Toast

It seems so wrong.

This urge I have to continually make breakfast with beer.

Probably reinforcement of the personality test I took in college in which I scored “surprisingly high” on the Inherent rebellion scale, as noted by the test administrator.

Because we, as a society, have decided that we shouldn’t mix alcohol with pre-noon hours. Along with a Sunday brunch mimosa or, well… Vegas in general, this should be your exception.

And while I’m ordering you around, I have to mention how much I adore this beer and demand that you seek it out:

Stone smoked porter with vanilla bean. It’s a porter with the perfect infusion of the flavors of smoke and vanilla bean.  And even though it’s summer and I’ve been told by Beer Store Beer Guy that porters and stouts aren’t “in season,” I’ve driven all over town to stock up on this very porter, twice. More evidence of my inherent rebellion.

Vanilla Bean Smoked Porter French Toast

• 1 cup milk
  • 2/3 cup smoked porter (recommended: Stone Smoked Porter w/ Vanilla Bean)
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 2 tbs butter (plus additional as needed)
  • 1 large loaf of crusty italian bread, cut into 1 inch thick slices

• In a bowl, add milk, beer, sugar, eggs and vanilla, whisk until well combined. Heat a large skillet over medium high heat, melt the butter.
  • One at a time, dip the bread into the milk mixture until well coated. Add to pan and cook until browned on one side, flip and brown on the opposite side (about 2 to 3 minutes per side). Repeat for all slices. Add butter to the pan as needed.

30 Responses to Vanilla Bean Smoked Porter French Toast

1. Maggie August 9, 2012 at 5:35 am #

I know it’s not smoked, but would Breckenridge’s Vanilla Porter be an ok substitution? It’s easier to find here, and likely cheaper! http://www.breckbrew.com/brews/vanilla-porter

• Jackie August 9, 2012 at 6:19 am #

That sounds great!

2. Cassie August 9, 2012 at 8:04 am #

This is too good Jackie. I love how innovative you are with beer. This is for sure a winner!

3. jessica August 9, 2012 at 10:50 am #

Would a beer syrup to go with them be taking things too far? :)

• Jackie August 9, 2012 at 11:23 am #

Never. No such thing as Too Far with the beer syrup ;)

4. Eileen August 9, 2012 at 11:20 am #

Well, you can at least make breakfast-for-dinner with beer, right? This french toast sounds delicious!

5. Allie Brautlauner August 9, 2012 at 11:46 am #

I hope your lifes wonderful. I very much hope, I love you beer blog with cooking. wonderful post.

6. claire @ the realistic nutritionist August 9, 2012 at 11:53 am #

GIRLL. I make breakfast for wine. WE are one in the same :) This looks soooooooooooo good!!

• Jackie August 9, 2012 at 12:07 pm #

Look at us with our boozy breakfasts! We would have quite the pre-luch pot luck :)

7. Meghan August 9, 2012 at 12:06 pm #

Hey Jackie,

Would it be possible to share this one on CraftBeer.com? It looks phenomenal!

Thanks!

Meghan

• Meghan August 16, 2012 at 10:10 am #

Hey Jackie,

Wanted to check back on the possibility of featuring this recipe on CraftBeer.com?

Meghan

• Vern September 11, 2012 at 5:20 pm #

MADE IT! LOVED IT!Best breakfast ever.

8. Kiersten @ Oh My Veggies August 10, 2012 at 11:45 am #

I really know nothing about beer and reading your blog always makes me want to learn more. Because vanilla bean porter? Sounds amazing. And so does this French toast.

9. Katie August 13, 2012 at 6:44 am #

Made these this past weekend, they were a huge hit! Fantastic idea for brunch with friends. Love your blog and recipes.

10. fourstar August 16, 2012 at 6:50 am #

if you and I were single, i’d hope if i ended up in your bed travelling CA this September you’d make me this in the morning. Droolfest x1000!

11. Petardos September 4, 2012 at 4:37 am #

I will have to get my hands on it. A Rickards porter would be iintresentg. I think that, for a macro, even their poor stuff is good-ish. It’s drinkable at least. It’s, like Sleemans, a good introduction to better beers for a newb, and at least a passable drink for those with more refined palettes. I didn’t mind the honey brown. But if the dark is better, then it’s worth it. The white is nice.

12. Bob in SF December 1, 2012 at 11:32 am #

Couldn’t find the porter so I used Wells Banana Bread Beer instead. Also subbed brown sugar for the sugar. Spectacular results; the banana bread flavor of the beer really cam out in some subtle notes. Thank you so much for the inspiration and the site! I’m making your pulled pork recipe next.

• Jackie December 2, 2012 at 8:21 am #

I’m so glad you like it! Thank you so much :)

13. Jennifer February 15, 2013 at 7:37 am #

I’ve followed your blog for about a year, but didn’t make a single one of your very tempting recipes until this week. (i also made your bacon mac and cheese this week – really easy to make and tasty!) I love good beer and happened upon the Stone smoked porter with vanilla bean so I decided I had to make this recipe. It was delicious, and I’m not even a huge fan of most french toasts. The outside of the french toast almost seemed to caramelize. I also might try making this with the Sam Adams maple pecan porter. Tangentially, I’m not a huge Sam fan but this one isn’t half bad. Great recipe, and I won’t lie – I did take a sip of the beer while making the french toast at 8 am.

• Jackie February 15, 2013 at 8:36 am #

Thank you Jennifer! SO glad you like both recipes, and I love that porter. If there is such thing as a breakfast beer, that one gets my vote :)

14. Bob in SF May 12, 2013 at 8:47 am #

My wife liked these so much the first time I made them that she requested them as her Mother’s Day breakfast. :)

• Jackie May 13, 2013 at 9:48 am #

Thank makes me so happy! So glad she liked it :)

15. Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious November 16, 2013 at 8:19 pm #

Can I come over for breakfast? I’ve been craving french toast too!

1. Vanilla Bean Smoked Porter French Toast | Totally Love It - August 10, 2012

[…] no to a french toast with beer, right? This delicious Vanilla Bean Smoked Porter French Toast from The Beeroness is a smoked and full of taste french toast you will be tempted to make every day! This will be my […]

2. Monday Grab Bag of Links … | The Pretense of Knowledge - August 13, 2012

[…] Vanilla Bean Smoked Porter French Toast Caramel Peanut Butter Banana Milkshake Smoothie 10engines: 10E2012: Herbal Potato Salad The Martini […]

3. Event Review: Drunk Football Brunch | Ohio Beer - September 12, 2012

[…] a month ago BubOhioBeer forwarded my wife and I a link to an interesting french toast recipe from the Beeroness that called for the use of Stone Smoked Porter with Vanilla Beans he wanted us […]

4. Daniel Irons Oatmeal Stout French Toast | Bites 'n Brews - February 5, 2013

[…] Irons Oatmeal Stout French Toast (Lightly adapted from The Beeroness) Ingredients: 1 loaf challah bread, left out overnight to slightly stale 1 cup almond milk 1 cup […]

5. Chocolate Stout Waffle Sundae with Chocolate Stout Fudge Sauce - February 20, 2013

[…] put beer in your breakfast on multiple occasions (Like this, and this and don’t forget about this), I would never judge you for eating this pre-noon. BUT, it’s dessert. And it needs to be […]

6. Chocolate Stout Cheesecake Fudgesicle - April 19, 2013

[…] Of course I’ll eat it, although I do tend to prefer it in the winter (probably more of that inherent rebellion I told you about earlier), but there are just so many other desserts I’d rather run five […]

7. Beer for Breakfast: 10 Great Recipes That Let You Open a Beer Before Noon | eHow Food Blog: Healthy Recipes, Cooking Tips & Drinks - July 25, 2014

[…] Vanilla Bean Porter French Toast (large photo above) – The Beeroness […]