IPA Ceviche

As summer nears it’s inevitable end, it’s not the weather that I’ll miss the most. In fact the leather boots and chunky sweaters of colder days are starting to beckon. The produce, back yard grills, the smell of life and food floating on a late afternoon breeze will be lost in the dawning of fall.

This isn’t a recipe about avoiding the oven, or  grumbles of triple digit heat, it’s about enjoying August produce, paired with those Summer release beers and spending as much time as you can in the open air before we’re all forced to head inside, cook with squash, and drink stouts. Which I am already looking forward to.

IPA Ceviche

• 1/2 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
  • 1 1/2 lb raw shrimp, shell & tail removed, chopped
  • 1/2 cup IPA Beer
  • 1 yellow onion diced
  • 3 cups tomatoes, diced
  • 1 large jalapeno, diced, stem and seeds removed
  • 1/2 cup cilantro
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp red pepper sauce (such as Sriracha)

• Add the lemon juice and raw shrimp to a small bowl.
  • Mix all remaining ingredients in a large bowl, allow to marinate in the fridge for at least one hour. Shrimp will "cook" in the juice as it marinates. Once the shrimp have "cooked," add them to the large bowl and toss to combine.
  • Serve cold with corn chips.

, , , , , , , , ,

12 Responses to IPA Ceviche

1. Erin @ The Food Doctors August 21, 2012 at 1:18 pm #

This looks fabulous! I’m clinging to summer for dear life.

Do you think I could substitute a white fish like halibut for the shrimp??

• Jackie August 21, 2012 at 4:03 pm #

I think so! I haven’t done it myself, but it seems quite common.

2. Cassie August 21, 2012 at 2:02 pm #

Oh my goodness, my friend, this is incredible! Bring on the stout and fall weather, and boots! I’m sad to see the produce go, too, but love to watch the leaves fall!

3. Katie @ Blonde Ambition August 21, 2012 at 3:20 pm #

I’ve always been afraid to make ceviche myself, but this sounds so good! Lemon and IPA, perfect combo.

4. Paul August 21, 2012 at 5:14 pm #

I made this with a citrusy IPA that I brewed and it went excellent with this. My wife convinced me to add diced cucumber and I’m so glad I did! Yum! Thanks as always!

• Jackie August 21, 2012 at 5:58 pm #

Your wife has good taste, obviously, cucumbers sounds amazing!

5. Kiersten @ Oh My Veggies August 21, 2012 at 5:15 pm #

I was feeling a little bit bummed about the end of summer, but then over the weekend I picked up my first winter squash of the season from the farmers market and I got over it. I’m ready now!

6. Vicki August 22, 2012 at 12:06 pm #

I’m not a fan of IPA (unless I haven’t tried the right one), would you recommend any other beer?

• Jackie August 22, 2012 at 1:04 pm #

There are a lot of people who don’t like IPA’s, but most of them just haven’t had a good one. I would say to keep trying IPA’s, there is bound to be one that you love. You can also try a pilsner, but I would recommend using this as an opportunity to sample a new beer and see if you like it. There isn’t a strong presence of the IPA here because I call for so little and the beer isn’t reduced (reducing beer causes it’s bitterness to grow exponentially) and it’s balanced by the lemon. Big chain stores like BevMo and Total wine let you buy just one bottle so you don’t have to commit to a 6pack of something you may not like.

7. Kazunari September 5, 2012 at 4:39 am #

I love these guys style with unique flvoar and additives to their beer it’s the different things that work well in a beer that makes this totally free of competition or foul balls so-to-say if it works in a beer then why not use it right on!!

1. Gulab » Blog Archive » Inspiração na Mesa: Cerveja - March 14, 2013

[…] doce com cerveja 5. Torta de morango com calda de cerveja 6. Picolé de cerveja com limão 7. Ceviche com cerveja 8. Sopa de cerveja com queijo e macarrão 9. Creme Brulee de […]

2. Beer and Food Pairing: Stone Enjoy By 9-13-13 and Shrimp Ceviche | BeerIowa - September 11, 2013

[…] I bought a shit load of Enjoy By from Stone so I went with it knowing that IPAs usually pair well with spicier foods. This ceviche had lime and orange juice as well as jalapeno, which went perfectly with the IPA. The malts come out from the IPA and the citrus from the hops really shines through. If you are in the CR/Iowa City area, El Perico does ceviche right, and an IPA goes excellent with it! If you want a great homemade IPA recipe, I’m a big fan of the Beeroness and her blog, check it out here: http://thebeeroness.com/2012/08/21/ipa-ceviche/ […]