Brown Butter Grilled Beer Cheese Sandwich

There are some great elements in this world we live in that we beg the universe to some how bring together.

Like a Yankees vs. Dodgers World Series

Or an episode of The Office directed by Christopher Guest

Or Trey Parker have complete creative control over The White House Holiday Card

Or a reality show hybrid of The Bachelor and Fear Factor

Even though I have to come to terms with the fact that those things will sadly never exist, I can meld brown butter and beer cheese into the greatest of all grilled cheese sandwiches. It won’t have the cultural repercussions of any of the above unions, but it is the best sandwich I’ve had in a long time. Too bad I didn’t have the forethought, or the consumptive restraint, to create a beer tomato soup to go along for the journey.

Brown Butter Grilled Beer Cheese Sandwich

• 6 oz cream cheese
  • 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese
  • 1 tsp cornstarch
  • 1/4 cup Pale Ale
  • 4 oz cheddar
  • 8 slices bread
  • 4 tbs butter

• In a blender or food processor add the cream cheese, mozzarella, cornstarch and beer. Blend until smooth, about 3 minutes. Spread the beer cheese generously onto 4 slices of bread. Top with about 2 tbs of cheddar and then top with a clean slice of bread.
  • In a skillet with a lid melt the butter over medium heat (don't allow the butter to get too hot or it will burn) until just starting to turn a golden brown. Carefully add the sandwiches, and replace the lid allowing the sandwiches to steam in the pan until the underside is golden brown, about 3 minutes. Flip the sandwiches, replace the lid and allow to cook until the other side is a light golden brown and the cheese is melted, about 3 additional minutes.

You can also use the pre-oven beer cheese from my Roasted Garlic & Parmesan Beer Cheese Dip.

, , , , , , , ,

33 Responses to Brown Butter Grilled Beer Cheese Sandwich

1. Julia August 23, 2012 at 9:24 am #

For the love, this looks like the best dang grilled cheese, maybe ever! I mean, you put beer IN THE CHEESE. My hero.

• Jackie August 23, 2012 at 10:20 am #

And can we please make this with your parmesan beer bread?

2. Renee August 23, 2012 at 10:03 am #

This looks incredible! I will definitely be partaking in this very soon ;)

3. Erin @ The Spiffy Cookie August 23, 2012 at 11:04 am #

Oh dear god, this may be the most amazing grilled cheese I have ever heard of.

4. Eileen August 23, 2012 at 12:06 pm #

Zomg, beer grilled cheese! This sounds amazing–thanks for the great idea!

5. amy @ fearless homemaker August 23, 2012 at 1:42 pm #

oh holy moly, this looks absolutely wonderful! i’m currently starving, so i could definitely go for one or two of these sandwiches right now. =)

6. Lauren @ Part Time House Wife August 23, 2012 at 2:02 pm #

This looks crazy good…. like so good I need it now

7. Averie @ Averie Cooks August 23, 2012 at 2:51 pm #

you outdid yourself – great combo ! cheese ‘n beer, pretty much brings me back to my MN roots (or Wisc) where cheese ‘n beer are the state foods I think :)

• Jackie August 23, 2012 at 3:33 pm #

I’m making a trip to St. Paul in a few months! I’ll have to get some recommendations from you as to where to eat and drink :)

8. Kiersten @ Oh My Veggies August 23, 2012 at 5:35 pm #

Holy crap, this is insane. All that cheese oozing out? YES. And then you had to go and add brown butter too!

9. Ralph August 24, 2012 at 2:05 am #

m impressed! Extremely best sandwich ever

10. Tay August 24, 2012 at 6:20 am #

“And the gates of Heaven opened and a choir of angelic singing could be heard across the lands”……BEER. GRILLED CHEESE. 2 staples of my daily diet. And now in one package….I am in love.

• Jackie August 24, 2012 at 5:14 pm #

Aww, I’m blushing :)

11. Carrie @ Bakeaholic Mama August 24, 2012 at 6:37 am #

WOW! This looks seriously amazing. I’m always game for a good grilled cheese!

12. As A Verb August 24, 2012 at 6:39 am #

Holy cheesey goodness this looks like heaven in my mouth. Pretty sure this is goona be lunch tomorrow. Thank you, this looks & sounds utterly incredible.

13. Kare @ Kitchen Treaty August 24, 2012 at 7:29 am #

Um, yum. This looks absolutely amazing.

14. Michelle Collins August 24, 2012 at 10:44 am #

I just discovered your blog, and I immediately fell in love with it. I look forward to reading more of your posts!

• Jackie August 24, 2012 at 5:13 pm #

Thank you so much!

15. Cassie August 27, 2012 at 5:41 pm #

Simply amazing, Jackie! I made a plain ‘ol grilled cheese in brown butter earlier this summer and loved it. I can’t imagine adding beer. Holy cow!

16. Jen @ Savory Simple August 27, 2012 at 5:45 pm #

I would eat this! Like 10 in a row.

17. Sarah | The Cyclist's Wife August 28, 2012 at 8:05 pm #

Oh man. That’s all I can say! Oh. Man.

18. Stephanie @ Eat. Drink. Love. August 28, 2012 at 9:36 pm #

I mean, seriously? I die.

19. kat September 10, 2012 at 5:31 pm #

This is such a wonderful idea! I can totally see this being a favorite for Sunday Football :)

20. Jessica September 11, 2012 at 8:03 am #

I made this and put your beer and bacon jam on it…because…how could that be bad? It was the king at our grilled cheese and beer pairing party!

• Jackie September 11, 2012 at 11:20 am #

oh my GOD, that sounds amazing!

21. Kali September 18, 2012 at 6:47 am #

I made this last night with Steel Toe’s Provider. The only change was I roasted a jalapeno and added that to the beer cheese mixture. It was amazing! Thank you!

1. Tuesday Things. | How Sweet It Is - August 28, 2012

[...] know how I feel about brown butter? You have to by now. So you can imagine how I feel about this brown butter grilled BEER cheese. Stop [...]

2. Beer and Cheese…Grilled Cheese. « jake's 101 in 1001 - August 29, 2012

[...] probably closer to the truth, for why I enjoyed this Pale Ale is that it went into a recipe I found here for beer grilled cheese. I’m a firm believer that adding cheese to anything, even beer, makes [...]

3. 32 Melty, Gooey, Savory, Fruity, and Just Plain Over-the-Top Grilled Cheese Sandwiches | Kitchen Treaty - September 22, 2012

[...] Brown Butter Grilled Beer Cheese Sandwiches from The Beeroness [...]

4. Country Cleaver How-To Tuesday - How To Brown Butter » Country Cleaver - January 15, 2013

[...] Brown Butter Grilled Beer Cheese Sandwich – The Beeroness [...]

5. Shock Top Raspberry Cupcakes, Beer Bellies, Beer Stocks, Grilled Cheese And More Beer News | Worst Beer Blog Ever - July 6, 2013

[...] Since everyone loves a good grilled cheese sandwich, here are 50 awesome options! http://www.buzzfeed.com/mjs538/40-amazing-grilled-cheese-sandwich-recipes Speaking of grilled cheese, The Beeroness (not associated with me other than an interest in beer and a sweet name) has provided an amazing brown butter grilled beer cheese sandwich recipe on here blog. http://thebeeroness.com/2012/08/23/brown-butter-grilled-beer-cheese-sandwich/ [...]

6. Brown Butter Grilled Beer Cheese Sandwich | My Food Inspiration - August 5, 2013

[...] If you are interested in this recipe: Brown Butter Grilled Beer Cheese Sandwich [...]

7. Saturday Sites: Week Seven | - February 15, 2014

[…] brown butter grilled beer cheese sammich! Get in my […]