Beer & Bacon Pecan Bars

Clearly, I’m ready for fall. And in Los Angeles, that just means that Dodgers games are starting to end and I get to wear a light sweater. If I feel like it. Oh, and fall produce. If I haven’t mentioned to you before my favorite part of living in Southern California, its this: Farmers Markets.

This Golden State that I live in grows half of all the produce grown in the United States (that’s a lot) and we get to have Farmers Markets nearly every day of the year. And although mid-rant I realize that this post doesn’t even contain any produce, it does contain those fabulous flavors of fall. With bacon. And beer. And fall farmers markets are my favorite. No matter what day of the week, somewhere in Los Angeles there is a Farmers Market in which I can unnecessarily bundle up and walk from stall to stall with a cup of coffee buying local vegetables in the “chilly” mid 60 degree weather.

Pecan pie will always remind me of fall and for nearly a year I’ve wondered what it would be like to add bacon. And of course, beer.

Turns out, these are the best damn pecan pie bars I’ve ever had.

Beer & Bacon Pecan Bars

• 2 cups brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup light corn syrup
  • 1/4 cup heavy cream
  • 2 eggs
  • 5 strips of bacon, cooked and chopped

• Preheat oven to 350
  • In a food processor add the flour, 1/4 cup brown sugar, and salt, pulse to combine. Cut the butter into cubes and add to the food processor. Process until butter is incorporated into the flour mixture. Add the water and process to combine. Add additional water, 1 tsp at a time if there is flour that still hasn't been dampened.
  • line a 9 x 13 inch baking pan with parchment paper (this will make it easier to remove from the pan) and dump the shortbread into the pan. Press into the bottom of the baking pan in one even layer.
  • Bake at 350 for 12 minutes of until a light golden brown. Allow to cool before adding the filling or the crust and filling will mesh together.
  • In a pot over medium high heat, add the stout, cook until reduced by half. Add the butter and stir until melted, remove from heat. Add the sugar, pecans, cream, corn syrup and stir until melted. Once the mixture has cooled to room temperature, add the eggs and stir until combined.
  • Pour the filling over the crust, sprinkle with cooked bacon and bake at 350 until the filling no longer jiggles when you gently shake the pan, about 25-30 minutes.

, , , , , , , ,

63 Responses to Beer & Bacon Pecan Bars

1. claire @ the realistic nutritionist September 6, 2012 at 9:35 am #

beer. and bacon. LUSSSSST.

2. Jen @ Savory Simple September 6, 2012 at 11:07 am #

I want to marry these bars.

3. Denise Wilson September 6, 2012 at 1:06 pm #

When do you add the heavy cream?

• Jackie September 6, 2012 at 1:23 pm #

Oops! You add it when you add the sugar and the corn syrup, it helps to cool the beer/butter mixture before you add the eggs. I’ll fix it as soon as I get to a computer (on my phone now)
      Thank you!

• Jeff Clough September 6, 2012 at 2:43 pm #

I also don’t see when to add the pecans. Is it at the end, with the bacon, or also with the sugar & corn syrup?
        Btw- These combine 3 of my favorite things: Dark Beer, Bacon & Pecans. Thank you, for inventing this!

• Jackie September 6, 2012 at 2:50 pm #

Ugh. Yes. With the corn syrup and sugar. Will update the post as soon as I get to a computer. Thanks!

• Chelsey September 8, 2012 at 5:30 pm #

The second to last step.

•In a pot over medium high heat, add the stout, cook until reduced by half. Add the butter and stir until melted, remove from heat. Add the sugar, pecans, CREAM, corn syrup and stir until melted. Once the mixture has cooled to room temperature, add the eggs and stir until combined.

4. Denise Wilson September 7, 2012 at 5:40 am #

Thanks! I can’t wait to try these!

5. Lisa @ Snappy Gourmet September 7, 2012 at 5:48 am #

GREAT idea! Can’t go wrong with beer and bacon! :) Love your site! Going to share the site/recipe with my Snappy Gourmet friends/fans! I know they’re going to love it!

6. Beth September 7, 2012 at 8:02 am #

Wow, these look great! I can’t wait to try them.

7. Matt September 7, 2012 at 10:34 am #

Looks awesome! Can’t wait to try this recipe. I’m easing my way into the Autumn with a batch of nut brown ale. Should be ready right when the leaves start changing. Hopefully I’ll get to cook something with it too!

• Jackie September 8, 2012 at 9:38 am #

Nut brown ale sounds perfect for this. I love a brown ale. I’m so excited for the Fall Special Release beers, I think they’re my favorite of all the seasonal beers

8. angela@spinachtiger September 7, 2012 at 11:14 am #

I have a friend who’s bacon crazy. Would these be the thing to bring to her goodbye party? They look amazing!

9. Kiersten @ Oh My Veggies September 7, 2012 at 11:24 am #

Stout is definitely my favorite beer to bake and cook with. I’m sure I won’t even miss the bacon in these, right?!

Thanks for linking to my lambic brownies, BTW!

10. Tina @ More Please Recipes September 8, 2012 at 7:33 am #

These bars are definitely looking heavenly Jackie! What Farmer’s Markets do you like to frequent? I’m always hitting up my Westside ones.

• Jackie September 8, 2012 at 9:36 am #

I’m on the East Side (Eagle Rock/Glassel Park area) so I go to Eagle Rock, Echo Park, Silverlake , Pasadena, Montrose and sometimes La Canada. But I do love the Hollywood one, they have the best mushrooms and raw milk, plus the guy with the goat cheese sometimes brings his goat, and I love that. We should meet up at the Hollywood one sometimes, let me know if you are over that way!

• Tina @ More Please Recipes September 9, 2012 at 2:33 pm #

Absolutely! I actually live in Santa Monica but wouldn’t mind heading over to Hollywood. Also, I want to make my way out to the Eaglerock brewery sometime. I recently tried the Populist IPA that I purchased at WholeFoods, and was sad to say it wasn’t my fave. So, it’s necessary that I get a taste of the real thing on tap. Email me and we can work it out! Looking forward to hearing from you.

11. Kevin (Closet Cooking) September 8, 2012 at 12:49 pm #

You really can’t go wrong with this amazing combo!

12. Audrey September 8, 2012 at 2:18 pm #

Just took them out of the oven… Can’t wait to try it!!!

• Jackie September 8, 2012 at 6:40 pm #

Let me know how it goes!

13. Averie @ Averie Cooks September 9, 2012 at 3:51 pm #

Jackie you are SO CREATIVE!!! Love these! I was just researching pecan pies yesterday in advance of the holidays and you have taken the cake! Or the pie!

14. Annette @LosingYourBelly September 10, 2012 at 10:47 am #

I am going to try your recipe using turkey bacon, hoping it doesn’t change the flavor too much. We don’t eat regular bacon but sure want to try these pecan bars. Will let you know.
    Thanks for the recipe to try.

15. Julia {The Roasted Root} September 10, 2012 at 11:05 pm #

Ohhhh woman, these are some seriously delicious looking treats! I’ve always been a big fan of pecan bars/pecan pie and love the thought of throwinf beer and bacon into the mix! I also didn’t realize you live in L.A.! One of my favorite bars I’ve been to is in Culver City and has awesome food and beer tastings…If I can remember the name of it, I’ll let ya know :)

16. Katie Jo September 12, 2012 at 11:37 am #

JUST found your blog today and have no idea how i have missed it for so long! beer and bacon are staples in my family and i’ve already shared your site with my mother, brother and sister-in-law. pecan pie is one of my family’s all-time favorite desserts … but my sister-in-law has celiac disorder!

what other flour would you suggest to use for the crust, if any? we usually use an almond flour, buckwheat flour or cornstarch to sub for baking, but i didn’t know if you would have a specific one that might work a little better with the all-around flavor of the bars … i can’t wait to make them! i might just have to make them when she’s not around!!

• Jackie September 12, 2012 at 12:58 pm #

Glad you’re here! I don’t have a ton of experience with GF baking, but I think it’s important for everyone to be able to accommodate for their guest food allergies. This looks like a great GF shortbread crust recipe, bake it for about 12 minutes prior to topping it with the pecan mixture:
      then bake again.

But for the beer, which always has gluten unless other wise stated, I haven’t seen any GF stouts. I know that Deschutes Brewery does have a GF pale ale, I believe that may work.

17. Stephanie September 12, 2012 at 2:33 pm #

Do these need to stay refrigerated?

• Jackie September 12, 2012 at 2:56 pm #

It depends. I served them about an hour after I made them and they were gone very quickly. If you are going to have them sit out overnight, I would refrigerate them. But if they are only going to sit for a few hours at a party, I think you can just leave them out. A lot of people just leave pies (including pecan) on the counter for days. I’m kind of weird about it, I never leave food on the counter overnight.

18. Heather Christo September 12, 2012 at 9:18 pm #

OMGGGGGGGG. you just combined all of my favorite things- I am truly so excited to make these!

19. sunidhi September 15, 2012 at 9:54 am #

Hi, This looks very yummy and mouth watering. definitely i will try and let u know. you have described it really good anyone can follow it . thanks for a wonderful recipe.

20. Renata Kanzenbach September 18, 2012 at 11:53 am #

Can I say “thanks” you for your mother and father that they gave you to the planet for the creations with beer?

21. Tanja September 20, 2012 at 10:42 am #

This must be heaven! Thanks for sharing!

22. Dena67212 September 21, 2012 at 8:48 am #

What stout did you use or recommend?

• Jackie September 21, 2012 at 9:11 am #

I like to use a really malty stout with notes of coffee, caramel or chocolate.

23. Dave September 23, 2012 at 1:34 pm #

Just made these and I’m waiting for them to cool down. Can’t wait!

Have you tried subbing the water in the crust with the stout, or would that throw off the bread? I have recently enjoyed cupcakes made with different stouts and the fluffiness of the cake was noticeable between the different beers.

Thanks for all these great recipes!

• Jackie September 23, 2012 at 4:46 pm #

Yes, you can use beer instead of water. Similar to the Foolproof Pie Dough that Cooks Illustrated did in 2007, which was the first use of vodka in a pie dough. Works great.

24. aimee @The Tailgatist October 1, 2012 at 5:49 pm #

My friend brought these to our tailgate this past Saturday and they were phenomenal! Everyone was so excited about the beer, bacon and pecan deliciousness and they were devoured in mere minutes. Love your site and I can’t wait to make these for another tailgate!

• Jackie October 1, 2012 at 5:52 pm #

Yaaaay! That’s awesome, I’m so glad you liked them :)

25. Meggan October 8, 2012 at 2:16 am #

ummmm, this. is. genius.

26. Cristina A October 9, 2012 at 11:42 am #

I made these for a beer tasting party this past weekend. I made a double batch using North Coast Old Rasputin and everyone loved them! I think the next time I’m going to try making this in pie form. I loved how they weren’t too sweet as pecan pie is too sweet for me most of the time.

I’m slowly working my way through your recipes and can’t wait to try another. Your website has been heaven-sent since I stumbled upon it when looking for recipes for this Beer Tasting party.

THANK YOU!

• Jackie October 9, 2012 at 1:46 pm #

Thank you so much Christina! I’m so glad you liked them as much as I did. And great choice on the beer, I love Old Rasputin.

27. blonde guy October 11, 2012 at 1:56 pm #

When I first saw this title Beer & Bacon Pecan Bars I just whent and bookmark it.Hello! Just wanted to say I love reading through your blog and look forward to all your posts! Keep up the excellent work!

28. Holly October 12, 2012 at 4:10 pm #

I like that you used beer and bacon, two of my favorite things!

29. isabel mara October 13, 2012 at 2:08 am #

Made this for my football party and they were gone so fast! everyone loved them, next time a double batch!

30. Rachel @ Bakerita November 5, 2012 at 11:17 pm #

These sounds ridiculous! Definitely getting added to my “must make” list…yum. Pinned!

31. Amber November 13, 2012 at 2:01 pm #

What do you think about making these with Shiner Holiday Cheer? I am looking for a recipe to pair with that beer, and since it is brewed with peaches and pecans I figured a pecan tart or bar would work nicely, and then I stumbled upon this recipe. What do you think? Could I sub the shiner in for the stout?

32. Carrie November 22, 2012 at 11:38 am #

The smell of these in the oven is killing me. I can’t wait until they come out so I can devour them. As good as they smell, I know they will be divine.

33. Carrie November 22, 2012 at 8:28 pm #

These are delicious, but the syrup leaked under the crust and made the crust all gooey. I assume this isn’t supposed to happen. Has anyone else had this problem? Do you know what caused it?

• Jackie November 24, 2012 at 5:42 pm #

Thats to bad. I’ve never had that happen. The only thing I can think is that you maybe didn’t reduce the beer long enough and there was too much liquid.

34. Ashley June 11, 2013 at 8:33 pm #

Mine also leaked and the crust got soggy. But I got crazy with it. When I tasted it, I couldn’t really taste the beer. I like to have a hint of alcohol, so I added brandy. I was short on pecans so I added spiced almonds I had and then I even threw in chocolate-covered cashews. I should have added flour or something, they’re very gooey. But amazing, so amazing. I hope they arrive ok for my dad =) Shipping them for father’s day

35. Craig. February 21, 2014 at 12:04 pm #

Do these need to be refrigerated after baking or can they just be stored a room temperature? Thanks!

• Craig. February 21, 2014 at 12:10 pm #

Also, is the butter in the filling salted or unsalted?

• Jackie February 21, 2014 at 1:08 pm #

Unsalted. I always use unsalted so that I can control the final salt levels.

• Jackie February 21, 2014 at 1:09 pm #

Room temp for a while. But more than 24 hours and I’d put them in the fridge.

1. Tailgating Time - September 7, 2012

[…] Beer and Bacon Pecan Bars (The Beeroness) […]

2. Sunday Roundup: 9/9/12 - Savory Simple: A Recipe Blog - September 8, 2012

[…] The Beeroness: Beer & Bacon Pecan Pie Bars […]

3. bake sale week: maple bacon pecan bars | sophistimom - September 10, 2012

[…] told you about these beer and bacon pecan bars by the Beeroness on facebook last week. Since I don’t drink beer for religious reasons, […]

4. Beeroness’ Beer & Bacon Pecan Bars | Food And Beer - November 14, 2012

[…] Thanksgiving is coming, and I know I will be making this! Thanks, Beeroness! […]

5. Nutty Beer Bars (aka The MAN Bar) | The Alcoholic Baker - December 3, 2012

[…] Adapted from http://thebeeroness.com/2012/09/06/beer-bacon-pecan-bars/ […]

6. Step out of the car: Boozy Bacon Pecan Bars « nomology101 - December 28, 2012

[…] recipe below is based on this one – I love beer and I love food and I LOVE LOVE this blog because it is the intersection of my […]

7. Vegan Chipotle Stout Chili with IPA Cashew Cream - January 16, 2013

[…] I am a meat eater (clearly, I put bacon in desserts), I did spend three years as a vegetarian. Mostly, this was a response to growing up on a farm and […]

8. More To Life Than Bacon – Debby Bent’s Rice Pudding « Steele Park - October 8, 2013

[…] h/t The Beeroness […]

9. WIAW: Superbowl Sunday. | - February 5, 2014

[…] I previously stated, I made two different desserts. First one was the Beer and Bacon Pecan Bars I linked to last […]