Pumpkin Ale Waffles & How To Roast A Pumpkin

Although most of you are in the giddy early stages of fall, here in Los Angeles it’s still over 90 degrees. So what the rest of the country is referring to as “Fall,” I am calling Pumpkin Season. And to curb my near constant urge to shove as much pumpkin into everything I consume, I have elected to only make pumpkin from scratch, no cans.

It’s only really helped a little. It’s pretty easy to roast a pumpkin and turn it into massive quantities of pumpkin treats.

If you haven’t roasted your own, don’t be intimidated, its pretty simple.

Start with a pie pumpkin. They go by various other names, but they are not Jack-o-Lantern pumpkins used for carving. They are small, about the size of a cantaloupe.

Preheat oven to 375.

Remove the stem by running a butter knife around the edges and then prying it off. The most stubborn one I removed by whacking it on the edge of the counter. Popped right off.

Cut the pumpkin in half, right through the hole left by the stem.

Scoop the seeds out with a spoon.

Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil. Place pumpkins on baking sheets, cover tightly with aluminum foil. Roast at 375 for 1 to 1 1/2 hours or until a fork can easily slide into the skin.

Allow to cool and sccop the flesh out.

For a smoother texture, process in a food processor for about 3 minutes.

See, that’s not so hard. You can totally do that.

Pumpkin Ale Waffles

• 2/3 cup pumpkin puree
  • 1 stick melted butter
  • 1 cup Pumpkin Ale
  • (Makes 6 to 8)

• Preheat waffle iron.
  • Get out three bowls.
  • In the largest bowl, add the flour, sugar, baking power, baking soda, salt, ginger, nutmeg, and cinnamon, stir until well combined.
  • Divide the eggs between the last two bowls, egg whites in one, yolks in the other.
  • In the yolks bowl, add the milk and pumpkin puree, stir until well combined. Add the melted butter and stir.
  • Using a hand mixer, beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form, about 4 minutes.
  • Add the pumpkin mixture to the dry mixture and stir until just combined, don't over mix. Add the beer and stir until combined. Gently fold in the egg whites.
  • Spray waffle iron with butter flavored cooking spray. Cook waffles according to manufactures directions.

, , , , , , , , , , ,

43 Responses to Pumpkin Ale Waffles & How To Roast A Pumpkin

1. Kevin (Closet Cooking) September 25, 2012 at 5:05 am #

Nice way to use some pumpkin ale!

2. Tina @ More Please Recipes September 25, 2012 at 7:09 am #

Thanks for the step-by-step on how to roast a pumpkin. I’m up for the non-processed foods challenge, and this will work just perfectly!

• Jackie September 25, 2012 at 9:41 am #

October Unprocessed? Great, me too!

3. claire @ the realistic nutritionist September 25, 2012 at 7:41 am #

I LOVE LOVE LOVE using regular pumpkins in place of puree. I do it all the time.

4. Cassie September 25, 2012 at 7:49 am #

Such a simple thing yet I rarely roast my own pumpkins. I need to get on it, ASAP. Because I desperately need these waffles. Love this!

• Jackie September 25, 2012 at 9:42 am #

It’s really the only way I can make anything that doesn’t have pumpkin in it! If I have to spend the time to roast my own, I use it much more sparingly.

5. Eileen September 25, 2012 at 11:29 am #

It’s definitely pumpkin season and not actual fall up here in the south bay too. :) These waffles sound amazing!

6. Katie @ Blonde Ambition September 25, 2012 at 11:38 am #

When will California get the memo?? It’s supposed to be 97 degrees all weekend up here!

I’m not a huge pumpkin fan, (I think it’s because I never liked pumpkin pie as a kid) but I love the idea of the challenge of roasting one. Plus I can impress my pumpkin loving friends and family!

• Jackie September 25, 2012 at 12:14 pm #

I know, I want to wear boots and sweaters already!
      My “non-pumpkin” friends found that they like savory pumpkin more than sweet. Like pumpkin hummus, or pumpkin ravioli.

• Katie @ Blonde Ambition September 26, 2012 at 2:14 pm #

I’m actually kind of obsessed with hummus — that sounds like a great idea!

• Gary October 2, 2012 at 3:02 pm #

*cough* *cough* Denver, CO is where it’s at! Sweater weather is here…at least this week. And, so much more (and better) beer in one concentrated area than NorCal (moved out from there a little over a year ago). See ya at GABF!?!?

• Jackie October 2, 2012 at 3:34 pm #

I have always wanted to live in Denver. Seems so beautiful, and yes, fantastic beer! May be time for a visit :)

7. Natalie September 25, 2012 at 1:33 pm #

Is that Shipyard’s Smashed Pumpkin Ale that I see in the background?? I love pumpkin, so you think I’d love pumpkin beers, but for some reason they fall short for me. EXCEPT Shipyard’s. That is some damn fine beer right there.

The waffles look amazing!! I’m already anxious enough about fall and Halloween, these waffles just added to it! There are just not enough hours in the day to enjoy it all!!

8. Jen @ Savory Simple September 25, 2012 at 1:38 pm #

I need these in my life.

9. Dawn September 25, 2012 at 2:02 pm #

These look amazing! And living in Texas I have a similar problem, I love Fall and long for it but I love Pumpkin even more and keep telling myself it’s ok that it’s 95 degrees outside right now because I have pumpkin.

Question: When roasting pumpkin, do you cover the pumpkins themselves tightly in foil or just the baking sheet under them?

Thanks!

• Jackie September 25, 2012 at 2:08 pm #

The baking sheet. You want to trap the steam in as much as possible.

10. Gerry @ Foodness Gracious September 25, 2012 at 2:15 pm #

I freaking love pumpkin!! And I want to do this just so I can bang one of the counter to remove the stem ;)

• Jackie September 25, 2012 at 2:51 pm #

HAHA! I was so frustrated. That sucker wasn’t coming off no matter how hard I tried with a butter knife.

11. Averie @ Averie Cooks September 25, 2012 at 2:54 pm #

Your pumpkin waffles look crazy good!

I have only ever tried to roast pumpkin seeds (once) with very meh lackluster results. Need to try all your tips!

12. Jenna@LittleKitchenBigFlavors.com September 25, 2012 at 3:17 pm #

A great reason to pull out the waffle iron! This fall is going to be filled with pumpkin!

13. Erin @ The Food Doctors September 25, 2012 at 4:19 pm #

Yum! These look amazing. I love roasting pumpkins! It’s so easy, and everybody looks at you like you’re a miracle worker when you walk in with a pumpkin pie that is not from a can.

The first time I did it, though, I didn’t know to scoop out the flesh after roasting. I just tossed the whole hot mess into a food processor. Extra fiber?? LOL

• Jackie September 25, 2012 at 6:15 pm #

Haha! I’ve done things like that. When you don’t grow up with someone teaching you to cook, and you’re on your own to figure it out, things like that happen.

14. Julia September 25, 2012 at 5:08 pm #

Love discovering new pumpkin recipes for the Fall season. Your photos look great!

15. Maggie September 26, 2012 at 2:40 pm #

HELLO! Love this. Can’t wait to make it. Looks amazing. Waffles are my favorite!

16. marilynr September 26, 2012 at 2:43 pm #

Have you ever considered taking the seeds out fo the two halves of the pumpkin and filling them with stew? (With beer in the stew, of course). I never roast pumpkins because I never see small ones in the stores. But, now you have me interested. Thanks!

17. Denise September 27, 2012 at 6:03 am #

Just out of curiosity, how long does homemade pumpkin puree last?

• Jackie September 27, 2012 at 9:37 am #

They say about a week. Although it doesn’t seem to last that long in my house!

18. Kiersten @ Oh My Veggies September 27, 2012 at 9:58 am #

I’m planning on making my own pumpkin puree this fall. And now I don’t have to Google for instructions!

19. Amber @ Slim Pickin's Kitchen September 28, 2012 at 3:42 pm #

I’m right there with you on the heat factor, but just on the other side of the country. I’m in Charleston, SC, and we have only seen just a few small sprinkles of fall weather. Surprisingly, I’ve never roasted my own pumpkin. It’s practically blasphemous, but I’m definitely going to have to try it out. It seems like everyone is doing it nowadays!

20. dieta October 2, 2012 at 3:25 pm #

So I have some small pumpkins that I think are pie pumpkins, or at least I hope they are, since I intend to make pies out of them anyways. I’m not really sure the best way to roast them, though, so that they can be made into pie, as I understand that that is the first step.

21. Anne September 6, 2013 at 4:30 pm #

I was looking for a beer waffle recipe and stumbled on this. I currently have half a roasted calabaza pumpkin, so this was a perfect find. Thanks!

22. Anne September 17, 2013 at 1:24 pm #

LOVE these waffles! Made some changes (whole wheat, oats, that sort of thing) and reblogged on my page, crediting you with the original of course :-) http://www.teacheatlove.com/2013/09/pumpkin-ale-waffles-whole-grain.html

1. Wednesday Ramblings | Bake Your Day - September 26, 2012

[…] see also: healthy harvest chicken soup; butternut squash and caramelized onion flatbread and pumpkin-ale waffles. […]

2. Skinny Bitch Tuesdays: Creamy Pumpkin Soup - October 2, 2012

[…] turned this soup from good to absolutely mind-blowing. My friend Jackie did an amazing tutorial on how to roast & puree your own pumpkin, so check it out, do it and make this […]

3. How to Roast a Pumpkin - October 4, 2012

[…] I’m seeing pumpkin recipes everywhere these days (along with sweet potato) so I thought you might enjoy this post from Beeroness.  How to Roast a Pumpkin. […]

4. Autumnal Arrival | Bread & Butter Public Relations - October 8, 2012

[…] ale – in our breakfasts? Hello new Sunday morning tradition. (via […]

5. Roasted Pumpkin Seeds | The Food Doctors - October 11, 2012

[…] all got ‘em. Whether you’re roasting a sugar pumpkin to make these mouth-watering Pumpkin Ale Waffles or just carving a funny face into a giant gourd, you’ve got pumpkin seeds. Don’t waste […]

6. Three for Thursday « the life & adventures of kaydee currie - October 18, 2012

[…] Recipes to Try: Pumpkin Edition Pumpkin Ale Waffles Pumpkin French Toast Bake Baked Pumpkin Fettuccine […]

7. Stout Hot Chocolate {guest post} - December 28, 2012

[…] in everything from entrees to breakfasts and desserts. Check out her fantastic recipes including Pumpkin Ale Waffles, Mac and Beer Cheese Soup, and Homemade Beer Pasta.  Today Jackie brought a recipe perfect for […]

8. Waffle 101: « My "sous-vide" life - January 26, 2013

[…] Pumpkin ale waffle http://thebeeroness.com/2012/09/25/pumpkin-ale-waffles-how-to-roast-a-pumpkin/ […]

9. Chocolate Stout Waffle Sundae with Chocolate Stout Fudge Sauce - February 20, 2013

[…] I put beer in your breakfast on multiple occasions (Like this, and this and don’t forget about this), I would never judge you for eating this pre-noon. BUT, […]

10. Pumpkin Ale Waffles - Simmer & Shoot - November 7, 2013