Chocolate Stout and Bacon Skillet Brownies

I hope you don’t mind my excessive use of stout over the past few weeks, but to be honest I’m really not sorry. I love stouts, I’m  unreasonably excited about stouts being back “in season,” and we are only about 2 weeks away from International Stout Day.

I’m geting you all stocked up on stout recipes, in case you want to celebrate via beer infused baked goods.

Which, of course, I hope you do.

You can use a chocolate stout for this, and that will be perfectly fine. You can also use a smoked porter or stout, or you can use a coffee or espresso stout.

Whatever you choose, this is best served warm, in the middle of a table full of fun people, each with a spoon in one hand and a stout in the other.

Chocolate Stout and Bacon Skillet Brownies

• 2 strips bacon
  • 1 stick unsalted butter
  • 3.5 oz (100g) dark chocolate (60%), broken into pieces
  • 1/2 cup stout (chocolate or coffee stouts work best)
  • 2 eggs
  • 2/3 cup sugar
  • 1 tbs espresso powder
  • 1/2 cup flour
  • 1/3 cup cocoa powder
  • 1/4 tsp baking powder

• Preheat oven to 350.
  • In a 8 or 10 inch cast iron skillet cook the bacon until done. Remove bacon from skillet. Swirl the bacon fat to coat the pan, discard the excess bacon fat.
  • Add the butter to the skillet, return to heat and cook until melted. Add the chocolate and stir until melted. Remove from heat. Add beer and stir.
  • In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs and sugar until very well combined. Sprinkle the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and espresso powder over the eggs, whisk until just combined.
  • Add the egg mixture to the chocolate skillet and stir until just combined. Chop bacon and sprinkle over the top.
  • Cook until the top has set (don't over bake) about 25 to 30 minutes.
  • Remove from oven, top with vanilla ice cream if desired (and I'm pretty sure you should desire) set in the middle of a table full of hungry people. Add spoons.

, , , , , , , ,

32 Responses to Chocolate Stout and Bacon Skillet Brownies

1. Ashley - Baker by Nature October 23, 2012 at 10:06 am #

Seriously… I have to make this.
    I’m home “sick” today and have all of the ingredients on hand. Talk about the perfect situation!

• Jackie October 23, 2012 at 3:03 pm #

Do it :)

2. Averie @ Averie Cooks October 23, 2012 at 10:48 am #

I just baked something savory in my cast iron. It’s feeling very wrong to have just done that, seeing that I woulda coulda shoulda made brownies in it. When it cools down maybe! :)

• Jackie October 23, 2012 at 3:03 pm #

I love making brownies is a skillet that still has a touch of savory elements left behind.

3. Katie @ Blonde Ambition October 23, 2012 at 11:23 am #

I loooove chocolate and bacon together. It’s so weird, but the chocolate salty mixture is just too good!

• Jackie October 23, 2012 at 3:02 pm #

One of my favorite combos. I so need to stop using it all the time!

4. amy @ fearless homemaker October 23, 2012 at 1:24 pm #

Holy mother of all things delicious, that looks AMAZING. I would devour that if it was in front of me right now!

5. Cassie October 23, 2012 at 2:47 pm #

You are amazing. Bacon and stout and chocolate? This is beyond my wildest dreams!

6. Barbara | Creative Culinary October 23, 2012 at 5:39 pm #

I’ve made brownies with stout but WITH bacon and in a skillet…seems the perfect way to serve something so warm and homey and GOOD!

7. Brett October 24, 2012 at 2:03 am #

I understand everybody might hate on stouts, but I love them. This looks so good

8. kita October 24, 2012 at 7:36 am #

Im in love with this skillet brownie a little too much right now… and bacon… and beer…. yeah. I want to snuggle with it.

9. Cynthia October 24, 2012 at 7:59 am #

This sounds strangely surreal yet captivating. I can’t say that I am a stout drinker – cant stand the stuff, but it makes for pairing that leaves me very intrigued. Your shots are beautiful btw! ;)

10. Kiersten @ Oh My Veggies October 24, 2012 at 12:42 pm #

I really need to put my cast iron skillet to use and attempt a giant brownie in it. And now, clearly I will have to use stout in said brownie.

11. Jen @ Savory Simple October 24, 2012 at 12:44 pm #

You make the most beautiful food!

12. Megan {Country Cleaver} October 24, 2012 at 8:03 pm #

I love this recipe, I love that napkin you used in the photo (cause I’ve been using the same one I have like in EVERY photo I take) and…best of all… Ben is officially obsessed with your Beeroness site. Like, giddy excited. As I was trying to fall asleep last night he was listing off all of your rrecipes, like every single one, and was visibly excited. It totally made my day – because I 110% heart you. XO!

• Jackie October 24, 2012 at 9:25 pm #

Ok, that pretty much made my life. Best compliment ever :)

13. cquek October 25, 2012 at 4:44 am #

This sounds like something I would like!

14. addie | culicurious October 26, 2012 at 9:34 am #

I really never knew beer could be so versatile. :) This looks like heaven in a skillet!

15. Amber @ Slim Pickin's Kitchen October 27, 2012 at 7:43 pm #

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I just so happen to have a chocolate stout in my fridge at the moment!!!!! I’m preeeety sure I will be using it to make this!

16. Kristen @ The Endless Meal October 28, 2012 at 10:09 am #

I absolutely love setting down my cast iron pan in the middle of a table full of hungry friends and family, but I’ve never thought of filling it full of something sweet. Brilliant idea! I will definitely be making this one!!

17. maria {La Signorina Chocolates} October 30, 2012 at 5:00 am #

Yum! Sounds and looks absolutely delicious

18. Kevin (Closet Cooking) October 31, 2012 at 8:58 am #

Bacon, chocolate and stout! What an amazing combination of flavours!

19. Cooks_Books November 18, 2012 at 7:29 pm #

Oh my. I have no words. I cannot wait to try this recipe!

20. Chris June 22, 2013 at 1:00 pm #

Made this for my wife last night as part of a three course meal, all paired with craft beers. This was the perfect finish. We changed just one thing and added a little cayenne pepper. So good!

• Jackie June 22, 2013 at 1:41 pm #

I love the idea of a pinch of cayenne, sounds fantastic!

1. Country Cleaver » Breakfast, Lunches, Dinners, Desserts and some fat pants, if you please - November 9, 2012

[...] Chocolate Stout and Bacon Skillet Brownies – The Beeroness [...]

2. chocolate stout skillet brownies | dollyandoatmeal - March 8, 2013

[...] adapted from The Beeroness [...]

3. Spinach Artichoke Dip Grill Pan Pizza - Domestic Fits - April 15, 2013

[...] Without question it’s my favorite, most versatile cooking device. With it I’ve made brownies, bacon fat biscuits, chorizo egg breakfast skillet, countless chicken recipes, the perfect roasted [...]

4. Salty and Sweet Bacon Desserts | Best Friends For Frosting - July 7, 2013

[...] you’re a bacon, beer, and sweets person, try your hand at this Chocolate Stout and Bacon Skillet Brownies [...]

5. Salty and Sweet Bacon Desserts | Best Friends For Frosting - July 7, 2013

6. I don’t mind Mondays | Magpie & Whale - January 13, 2014

[…] (though I have been rediscovering the glories of the slow cooker, as well as the possibility of chocolate stout and bacon brownies; cooking more has also been a goal!). Temperatures are looking a little less surface-of-Martian for […]

7. Bacon Dishes for Game of Thrones Parties Bacon Today - March 31, 2014