Salted Chocolate Stout Truffles

This is totally easy. I promise.

At a beer event a few weeks ago, I had a guy call my recipes, “Foodie but accessible. They sounds hard and impressive, but once you read the recipe it’s actually really easy.”

I like that.

This recipe is the same way. It sounds really hard, making truffles from scratch. And really, that’s the best part. It sounds hard, and impressive, and it has beer in it, which makes you a Christmas Party Superhero, but it’s really easy. And since so few people have ever made truffles from scratch, they won’t even know how easy it was.

I made these for the first time a few years ago to bring to a Thanksgiving party. A friend of mine, an artist from France, ate one. Without even knowing that I was the one who had brought them, he looked at me and said, “It’s like Paris at Christmas time.”

That pretty much made my year.

There are a few things to keep in mind when making these. Although your active time is pretty minimal, it takes about 2 1/2 hours start to finish because of the chilling time.

Also, this is no place to skimp when it comes to chocolate. Use the good stuff. Don’t use chocolate chips, they contain additives that prevent them from melting together in the package and that could be problematic.

For the coating, you can go crazy. Roll them in anything that goes with chocolate, and make a bunch of different flavors and figure out which ones you like the best.

Some ideas:

Cocoa powder (the old standard)

Crushed Pretzels

Coconut shavings

Chopped nuts

Chopped bacon (yep, you should totally do that)

Crushed candy cane

Sprinkles

Crushed graham crackers

Crushed toffee

Seriously, anything that you think might taste good on chocolate, give it a try.

You can also try tempering chocolate to give them a nice, smooth, shinny chocolate shell with a satisfying snap when you bite into them. I would strongly encourage you to do this. It isn’t difficult and it gives you a really professional tasting final product.

For the filling:

1 cup stout beer

8 weight ounces (225 g) good quality chocolate (60% cocoa content)

For the coating:

8oz (225 g) good quality chocolate (from a shiny bar, this means it has previously been tempered) can be milk, dark or white chocolate

and/or

Cocoa powder, coconut shavings, chopped nuts, chopped bacon, etc.

1 tsp good quality coarse sea salt (I used Himalayan Pink Salt)

Add the beer to a pot over high heat. Reduce by half (about 1/2 cup remaining), stirring frequently. Remove from heat, break the 8 wt ounce of chocolate into chunks, stir until smooth and melted.

Allow to cool to room temperature. Cover and refrigerate until set, about 2 hours.

Use a melon baller to scoop out a small amount of chocolate.

Roll into a ball with your hands, add to a plate and chill for 20 minutes to an hour.

To temper chocolate for the coating:

Chop the good quality chocolate into small pieces. Add about half of it to the top of a double boiler over medium heat (If you don’t have a double boiler, place a glass or metal bowl over a pot of water making sure the bottom of the bowl does not touch the water).

Stir until the chocolate reaches 115 for dark chocolate, 110 for milk or white chocolate.

Remove from heat. Stir continuously, adding a bit of the reserved chocolate at a time until the chocolate reaches 90 degrees (88 for milk or white chocolate). Stir, stir, stir like crazy.

Add the chocolate truffle balls, roll around with a fork until coated.

Remove from chocolate and place on parchment paper, sprinkle with a small amount of sea salt. Chill until ready to serve.

If you don’t want to temper chocolate, just place the coating in a small bowl, add the chocolate truffle and turn until coated.

48 Responses to Salted Chocolate Stout Truffles

1. Averie @ Averie Cooks November 1, 2012 at 1:47 am #

Can you come roll and dip all my truffles for me? Seriously, you put Godiva’s to shame. They.are.perfect.!!!

• Jackie November 1, 2012 at 9:41 am #

You’re so sweet! I kept trying to get them completely perfectly round and it wasn’t working. Glad they look good!

• Erin @ The Food Doctors November 1, 2012 at 10:25 am #

Yep, I totally second this one. Maybe that’s your hidden talent?!

2. Ali | Gimme Some Oven November 1, 2012 at 5:02 am #

Oh my heavens – these look amazing! LOVE making truffles. Will totally have to try these!

3. Faith Lorenzo November 1, 2012 at 7:02 am #

OMG! I’ve always wanted to try truffles. These look good. You make it look so easy!

4. amy @ fearless homemaker November 1, 2012 at 10:03 am #

I think that someone calling your recipes ‘foodie yet accessible’ is totally the greatest compliment ever. For real! And these truffles look sooooo good. Can’t wait for Thanksgiving/Christmas to get closer so I have an excuse to make some for parties!

• Jackie November 1, 2012 at 10:12 am #

I know! And he said it timidly, as if it might offend me, in a little bit of an apologetic way. I love it.

5. Katie @ Blonde Ambition November 1, 2012 at 11:38 am #

I’ve been wanting to try making truffles forever! The addition of stout sounds amazing!

6. addie | culicurious November 1, 2012 at 12:31 pm #

oh my these look delicious, Jackie! Simple yet elegant. Always good :)

7. Cassie | Bake Your Day November 1, 2012 at 2:12 pm #

These are incredible and the photographs are completely stunning! Such a great idea here!

8. Joy November 1, 2012 at 10:03 pm #

Beautiful!

9. Kristi@My San Francisco Kitchen November 1, 2012 at 11:11 pm #

Wow these look soo good. I have always wanted to make truffles, but they seem so intimidating! Yours are beautiful!!

10. Natalie D. November 1, 2012 at 11:28 pm #

Ya, you definitely have a talent. I’ve tried to make cake pops, truffles, you name it and the coating part has always been a fiasco. They look amazing!

11. claire @ the realistic nutritionist November 2, 2012 at 8:01 am #

Wow.

12. Kiersten @ Oh My Veggies November 2, 2012 at 1:13 pm #

I just made truffles last weekend! And you’re right, they are incredibly easy. I wish people knew how easy they are to make. Or maybe I don’t, because like you said, it’s easier to impress people this way. I’m totally amazed that you made these with beer instead of heavy cream–this is going onto my must-make list!

13. Willis November 2, 2012 at 2:33 pm #

I am was just looking for a truffles recipe when this came up! Thanks so much, will do it for sure

14. Maggie November 2, 2012 at 4:45 pm #

My husband and I always make truffles at Christmas time. Its a holiday tradition we started while dating and this year we get to make our truffles as newlyweds! These will definitely have to be the truffles we make this year!! Great recipe, you are such an inspiration :)

• Jackie November 2, 2012 at 5:05 pm #

Such a great tradition! Hope you like the stout version :)

15. ashley - baker by nature November 2, 2012 at 5:26 pm #

I’m stunned by the beauty of these truffles! Your blog has been my latest obsession – so happy I found you!

• Jackie November 3, 2012 at 9:39 am #

Your so sweet! Thank you so much :)

16. Neha November 3, 2012 at 3:49 pm #

Oh these are just LOVELY!!! And they look extremely easy to do! Out of curiosity, exactly what kind of stout and chocolate did you use? I would love to know! :)

neha

• Jackie November 3, 2012 at 7:17 pm #

I actually don’t remember. I like Bison Chocolate Stout, so that is a possibility. For the chocolate, I used a mixture of different brands of chocolate I had on hand.

17. Brit November 4, 2012 at 8:52 am #

I’m obsessed with this! I’ll be making these for Christmas presents for sure…

18. Megan {Country Cleaver} November 5, 2012 at 8:46 pm #

I’m really glad I went and worked my ass off gym today – because my ass is yelling at me to eat about 72 of these and all those tasty, chocolately, and stouty calories back into my rear end. #WORTHIT.

Gimme!

19. christina @ oven adventures November 6, 2012 at 10:28 am #

these are totally beautiful. i am planning on making them for Christmas gifts.

20. mandalahi November 8, 2012 at 8:28 am #

I so wanted to try it, it looks delicious and tasty, yummy

21. April November 13, 2012 at 3:15 pm #

When is best to roll the covered truffles in the coconut/nuts/etc.? Immediately? Apologies if I missed this in the instructions!

• Jackie November 13, 2012 at 3:28 pm #

They are usually really soft once they are rolled. Place them in the fridge for a bit (15-30 minutes) to harden up, longer if you are going to coat them in warm chocolate.

• April November 13, 2012 at 4:00 pm #

Oh ok, so chill after rolling, then I can sprinkle or roll them after the chocolate coating. Thanks!

22. kristy @ Gastronomical Sovereignty November 18, 2012 at 4:20 am #

how many truffles does your recipe make? i am going to borrow it but have 3 people and 3 jars i need to fill! haha

thank you!

• Jackie November 18, 2012 at 9:59 am #

It depends on how big you make them. I would lean towards making them smaller, because they are very rich. You can make about 2 dozen small truffles with this recipe.

23. Karen E November 19, 2012 at 8:11 pm #

I am so awestruck by your site. All I keep thinking is “Why didn’t I think of that?” I help run a craft beer store, and I’ve been hunting down recipes to share with our clients. I stumbled across this and I cannot wait to give it a go with some of my favorites (especially considering that the darker and richer the beer, for me, the better). Thank you for turning cooking with beer into such an art form. This is awesome!

• Jackie November 19, 2012 at 8:27 pm #

What an amazing compliment. Thank you so much!

24. luv what you do November 29, 2012 at 7:36 pm #

Those look fantastic! I can’t wait to make them!

25. Denise Browning December 1, 2012 at 1:09 pm #

They look amazing, Jackie!

26. julie December 6, 2012 at 2:30 pm #

Even tho the chocolate you use for the coating was from a bar that was previously tempered you temper it AGAIN before you use it? Just making sure I understand!

• Jackie December 6, 2012 at 2:43 pm #

Yes. That’s how you get it to have that nice snap after you re-melt it. If you heat it too much you can damage it in a way that it won’t have the great shine and texture.

27. Brooke December 21, 2012 at 10:27 am #

If I wanted to make mint truffles, when would you suggest I add mint flavoring? With the beer at the start or after it is reduced?

• Jackie December 21, 2012 at 10:44 am #

There are a few things you can do. If you want to go the extract route, I would definitely do that when you add the chocolate, reducing it with the beer is really unpredictable. Also, Green & Blacks makes a really great dark chocolate and mint bar that would work great and you could skip the extract all together. Stone also makes a Mint Chocolate Stout that’s really lovely.

• Brooke Russell December 23, 2012 at 3:07 pm #

I used Lindt intense mint dark chocolate for the coating. While they aren’t as pretty as yours, they turned out not too shabby for a first try. Definitely will make them again. Perhaps for Valentine’s gifts. And tempering the chocolate was easy and definitely worth the extra time. Thanks for another fabulous recipe!

• Jackie December 23, 2012 at 3:08 pm #

Awesome! I’m so glad they worked out for you :)

28. Lianne June 16, 2013 at 10:38 pm #

Hi,
    I was extremely excited when I found this recipe, and attempted to make this for father’s day, but was very disappointed. I didn’t even finish making them because after boiling the stout down to 1/2 cup, and then adding the 8oz of cocoa, the mixture turned into a clumpy mess. It did not stir smoothly at all, and tasted disgusting. I did however use regular nestle cocoa instead of “good quality 60% cocoa”, and a chocolate stout. Do you think that could be the reason of this mishap, or am I just missing something?

• Jackie June 17, 2013 at 8:27 am #

It looks like you got the directions wrong, I’m so sorry. You were supposed to use 8 wt ounces of Chocolate with 60% cocoa content. Good quality bars of chocolate list the cocoa content in a percentage, “60%” bar of chocolate was what what you needed, not cocoa mix or chocolate powder.

29. Katie K. December 14, 2013 at 10:39 am #

Tried these out last week. The truffle mixture is delicious, but mine wouldn’t set completely. I dished them out and stuck them in the freezer, but when attempting to coat them, they almost instantly melted. It might have been the chocolate….(60% ghiradelli) or the stout (Southern Tier Chokolat Stout) but I won’t know until I try again. The filling was also grainy for me, so I’m thinking it will take a little practice. Thanks for a yummy recipe!

• Aprilrae January 30, 2014 at 9:03 am #

Katie K, I’m wondering if you had success when you tried again? Want to make these with my boyfriend’s favorite chocolate stout for Valentine’s Day…

30. Jazz February 7, 2014 at 11:45 am #

Would any type of IPA work as well as the stout beer in this truffle recipe of your? :)

• Jackie February 7, 2014 at 12:22 pm #

Probably be a little too bitter. But if you really like the bitter beer taste, give it a try. I’d pick something with a strong malt backbone.

1. The Great Food Blogger Cookie Swap Reveal: Salted Chocolate Stout Truffles | She Eats | Kristy Gardner - December 12, 2013

[…] Running on Healthy and Eri @ It All Tastes Greek to Me: Salted Chocolate Stout Truffles, recipe c/o The Beeroness.  She said they were easy. She didn’t lie. What she didn’t say was how undoubtedly […]