Beer Pizza Dough

Before we continue with my Beer Pizza Dough post, you have to forgive me for the overly moody dough photos. I was trying franticly to get them taken before I lost all of the light (damn daylight saving).

But it could be worse, see:

That pizza dough looks like it should be listening to Radiohead and popping Xanax like Pez.

Anyway, that’s what happens when you try to cram way too much into one day, things tend to get away from you.

Back to the pizza dough.

I’ve been making pizza dough for years, and have yet to publicly put my name on a pizza dough recipe. This one is the best so far. I love crust, it’s the best part. If you make your way to my great little city, the best crusts can be found at Folliero’s, Mozza, Casa Bianca, and Milo & Olive. I have also learned that if you come early in the day, when there is no rush, most pizza places will sell you some of their dough. Which is great to have on hand.

I also learned a few things in my quest to make kick ass pizza at home:

The secrets of freezing pizza dough from The Kitchn

How esential it is to own and opperate a pizza stone and a pizza peel (completely worth the money)

Milk, beer and oil give dough a depth and complexity that water doesn’t touch.

Bread flour is essential to getting a chewy crust.

Use good ingredients, grate your own cheese, add uncooked toppings (prosciutto, arugula, fresh tomatoes, herbs) after the pizza comes out of the oven to create depth and balance.

Beer Pizza Dough

• 3 cups bread flour
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 2 tsp sugar
  • 1 cup wheat beer
  • 1 packet dry active yeast
  • 3 tbs whole milk
  • 1 tbs olive oil, plus 2 tbs, divided
  • Yield: One large pizza crust, or two small pizza crusts

• In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a dough hook, add the bread flour, salt and sugar, stir until well combined. In a microwave safe bowl, add the beer. Heat until 110 degrees. Add the yeast and wait 5 minutes or until the yeast foams.
  • Add the beer to the flour and stir until incorporated. Add the milk and 1tbs oil, stir with the dough hook until it forms a sticky ball.
  • On a lightly floured surface, knead until smooth and no longer sticky.
  • Coat a large bowl with the remaining oil. Add the dough, cover and refrigerate for 12 hours or until doubles in size.
  • Punch down the dough and reform into a tight ball. Cover and refrigerate for another 8 to 12 hours and up to 3 days.
  • To bake, place a pizza stone in the oven and preheat to 425 for at least a half an hour prior to baking pizza.
  • Roll out the pizza dough to about the size of your pizza stone. Sprinkle a pizza peel with corn meal. Transfer the dough to the pizza peel. Top with your desired toppings, lots of them.
  • Open the oven and carefully transfer the pizza to the pizza stone. Bake for 8-12 minutes or until golden brown.

47 Responses to Beer Pizza Dough

1. Averie @ Averie Cooks November 29, 2012 at 2:24 am #

I just told my husband tonite that the next bread I want to make is pizza dough. And I think adding beer would be perfect!

• Jackie November 29, 2012 at 11:25 am #

Can’t wait to see your version!

2. Erin @ The Spiffy Cookie November 29, 2012 at 7:01 am #

Oh I definitely need to make this for my next pizza!

3. claire @ the realistic nutritionist November 29, 2012 at 7:39 am #

I make my own dough all the time. It’s so much better than store bought. GREAT idea with the beer!! :)

4. Katie @ Blonde Ambition November 29, 2012 at 9:44 am #

I love making my own pizza dough! It is so worth the time. I bet beer would make it even better too! Ah!

5. Bev @ Bev Cooks November 29, 2012 at 10:17 am #

I can’t wait for you to invite me to pizza night!

I am invited, right?

• Jackie November 29, 2012 at 11:24 am #

Always. Especially if you bring that Spicy Mocha Pound Cake.

6. Michelle Collins November 29, 2012 at 10:32 am #

I’ve been looking for a good pizza dough recipe – and one with beer in it seems like the best way to go. ;)

• Jackie November 29, 2012 at 11:21 am #

Well, I think so :)

7. addie | culicurious November 29, 2012 at 11:52 am #

I’ve been looking for a good pizza crust and this appears to be it!! :) Love the idea of beer in pizza dough…… or beer in just about anything. You’ve proven that’s always a good way to go! ;)

8. Cassie | Bake Your Day November 29, 2012 at 5:58 pm #

I actually like how moody these look…and that marble…oh, and the beer in the pizza dough! Amazing, girl.

9. Warren November 29, 2012 at 8:12 pm #

I like whatever see i! Gonna make this and listen to Radio head, but skip the xanax

10. Katie (The Muffin Myth) November 30, 2012 at 4:52 am #

I’ve tried using beer in my pizza crust before and loved it, but this recipe is slightly different than mine, so I’ll have to try it in. Milk in the crust? Sounds interesting! I totally agree about the stone and peel. My stone shattered after the last time I used it (actually, it cracked in half ages ago and I continued to use it with the bits pushed together, but now its well and truly bit the dust), so as soon as I pick up a new one I’ll be trying this out! Thanks for the recipe!

• Jackie November 30, 2012 at 2:55 pm #

That should go on your Christmas list!

11. Anna @ Crunchy Creamy Sweet November 30, 2012 at 8:04 am #

Wow! Need to try this! My Hubs makes amazing pizza from scratch. I will have to forward this recipe to him :)

12. sippitysup November 30, 2012 at 1:26 pm #

I was afraid you were implying there was Xanax in the dough. Beer is much better. GREG

• Jackie November 30, 2012 at 2:51 pm #

The dough is the Xanax. Pizza is pretty much the best mood stabilizer ever ;)

13. cathy @ Noble Pig November 30, 2012 at 3:22 pm #

Loving the sound of this!

14. Ashley - Baker by Nature November 30, 2012 at 6:20 pm #

Pizza and beer is my go-to plan when I need a chill out night; beer in the pizza is just brilliant!

15. dervla @ The Curator November 30, 2012 at 10:21 pm #

Yesss, i usually drink my beer when making my pizza. I guess I can part with it if it makes the dough better. Sounds YUM

16. Amber @ Slim Pickin's Kitchen December 1, 2012 at 1:03 pm #

Ugh…running out of light is the worst! I can’t tell you how many times that has happened to me since daylight savings has come upon us. I’ve never really been great at time management! I love making my own pizza dough, but I’ve never used beer! I’m definitely doing it next time it’s pizza night!

17. Nicole @ Lapetitebaker December 2, 2012 at 11:37 am #

Beer and pizza go hand in hand. And I can imagine how good this dough would bake up.

18. Julia {The Roasted Root} December 3, 2012 at 12:01 am #

You’re such a crack up – your photos look great! we are our own worst critics, but I truly think your dough looks very nice and not moody at all….although I do enjoy picturing it listening to radiohead ;) I’ve never tried a beer bread or beer pizza crust and love the idea of it. Next time we do pizza, beer dough it is!

19. Kiersten @ Oh My Veggies December 3, 2012 at 7:51 am #

I happen to like your moody dough! I never make my own pizza dough, but I should really start. I just need a good go-to recipe. Perhaps this one?

20. Bree December 3, 2012 at 12:07 pm #

Beer in pizza dough? Love it! I am always scrambling for my pics so I hear ya!

21. Maggie December 4, 2012 at 7:01 pm #

Made your dough on Sunday and pizza tonight – it was outstanding! I’ve been using either America’s test kitchen or Jim Lahey’s no-knead bread book for dough recipes, but this one might have them beat. I topped the pizza with sautĂ©ed mushrooms + sage and fontina cheese, and the dough stood up great, with the perfect balance of crispiness and chewiness!

• Jackie December 4, 2012 at 7:14 pm #

Awesome! I’m so glad you liked it :)

22. kris March 10, 2013 at 5:18 pm #

substitute honey for sugar :)

23. Kristen March 31, 2013 at 4:01 pm #

I’ve been a fan of your blog for awhile, and the minute I saw this recipe I knew I had to try it. And let me tell you, I am SO glad I did! It was absolutely delicious. Never have I made pizza dough that came together so perfectly in the KitchenAid with minimal effort. I made minor changes – used whole wheat flour and a lager instead of wheat beer (what I had on hand), but this is by far the best dough I have ever made. I also bake mine a little hotter – heat the pizza stone to 475 and bake for 9 minutes. Perfect!

This actually made enough for two thin crust pies. My hubby and I used half to make a garlic, broccoli, and ricotta pie – even with the oil directly on the crust, this stayed thin and super crispy. The other half of the dough is in the freezer!

Thanks for your great recipes and keep them coming! :-)

• Jackie March 31, 2013 at 4:32 pm #

Thank you so much! So glad you like it :)

24. Jen April 2, 2013 at 8:45 pm #

I have used homemade veggie broth for my pizza crust many times, but never considered trying beer! Something I will certainly do next time (already on my meal plan for the week). I normally load my crust with various spices, and use half whole wheat flour. Any suggestions on what spices would work best with this/what to avoid? My normal tends to be some onion powder, garlic powder, oregano, basil, and salt. The spices work remarkably well with our new favorite of using muenster for the cheese (I only do 8oz cheese for a batch of dough, a good homemade pizza has no need to be loaded).

25. Lori April 12, 2013 at 6:29 pm #

Friday nights are pizza nights at our house. If I am too exhausted from our week we have frozen which I don’t really like doing but sometimes ya gotta do what ya gotta do. Most of the time I make our pizza from scratch though. I have my tried and true recipes that I use but like to try new ones so I would say I have tried a lot of pizza crust recipes because I’ve been making pizza for many years. I found your recipe this week and pinned it on pinterst with the intent of making it for tonight. Last evening I almost didn’t make it because of being tired. So glad I did. Hands down this is the best pizza crust I’ve ever made. My family voted it to be the best too. I did use some freshly ground white wheat and spelt flours along with the bread flour. The other recipe I make the most I do the day before too because I soak the flour. So excited about this recipe! Thank you!

• Jackie April 12, 2013 at 8:00 pm #

Yay! SO excited to hear that :)

26. Lori April 12, 2013 at 6:44 pm #

PS So excited to try a bunch of your other recipes! You have a new follower!

27. sara July 25, 2013 at 10:26 am #

Okay, so it will be more like a 8 hour dough, but I am giving this a shot. Used Leavenworth Biers Whistling Pig hef. General beer question: Does alcohol level matter? My fave new (to me) beer is called Irish Death and its at least 7%- its sooooo yummy…Would that matter in a recipe? Irish Death is by Iron Horse in Ellensburg. Psh…Ell-ay-schmell-ay- you should totally come back to the PNW ;)

• Jackie July 25, 2013 at 10:42 am #

There are two rises that each take 8 to 12 hours, so it’s 16 to 24 hours total.

I don’t think that ABV should be an issue, sounds fine to me :)

I’m actually trying to move to Seattle but its a slow process!

28. Michael August 7, 2013 at 7:02 am #

I really want to try this!
    Umm…. for those of us living abroad, what exactly is the weight content of “1 packet dry active yeast”?

• Jackie August 7, 2013 at 8:42 am #

1/4 ounce, or about 2 1/4 teaspoons. Sorry!

• Michael August 7, 2013 at 8:51 am #

Thanks!

29. Chrissy Obenberger October 25, 2013 at 9:43 am #

I’ve made several pizza dough recipes. This is far the BEST recipe ever! I found that the local Sprecher Brewery, brews pizza beer for a Chicago pizzeria. I was able to buy some of beer and use that in the dough. Gives it an incredible flavor, that I didn’t find with other beers.

I’m done trying other recipes. Thank you!!

• Jackie October 25, 2013 at 10:14 am #

great! I love this recipe too, I make it all the time. Glad you like it as well :)

30. Jessica January 19, 2014 at 7:30 pm #

Can I make extra and freeze it? I want to be able to make pizza whenever I get the craving!

31. Megan January 27, 2014 at 10:09 pm #

Hi Jackie — is this recipe adaptable to a bread maker? Looks like maybe not but I don’t have a stand alone mixer.

• Jackie January 27, 2014 at 10:15 pm #

I’ve never used a bread maker, but if you have you probably know more about how to adapt recipe to those. Here is a video on how to knead dough by hand:

(and next Christmas, ask for a stand mixer!)

• Megan January 29, 2014 at 5:48 am #

whipped up a batch with a hand mixer … yeah I need to put the stand mixer on my Christmas list!!

1. One Hour Rosemary Beer Pizza Dough - May 31, 2013