Chipotle Stout and Chorizo Chili Topped with Pork Rinds

I’m so glad I can share this recipe with you. I’ve been working like a crazy person to develop and test recipes that I fall in love with but I can’t share them with you because I need to save them for the cookbook.

And, of course, I’m putting a tremendous amount of pressure on myself to make each recipe a home run.

Because once you buy the book, and actually pay for the recipes, I want them all to be amazing. This, my friend, is a huge amount of pressure on me and the limits of my culinary creativity.

But then I get these crazy ideas, like putting crushed Chicharrones on top of chili and I can’t even wait to share it. I have to post it as soon as possible, even pushing back a more “seasonally appropriate” post because I want to show you this.

And Chorizo, with it’s spice and fatty goodness, is perfect in chili. In fact, I pretty much raided the “C” section of my local mexican food market (there isn’t a “C” section, by the way, but there should be) to bring you a dish with chipotle, chorizo, chicharrones, cilantro, cheddar and cumin.

And then I ate three bowls before I could even share it with anyone.

If I was planning on tailgating anytime soon, I would make this in huge vats. But I live in LA, a great city with a tremendous amount of things to do, but without a local football team, tailgating isn’t one of those things.

And if you are a “beans in your chili” kind of guy, go ahead and throw some in, I won’t mind.

Or add some sour cream, if that’s your thing.

Chipotle Stout and Chorizo Chili Topped with Pork Rinds

• 2 tbs olive oil
  • ½ white onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
  • 1 red bell pepper, chopped, stem and seeds removed
  • 6 oz chorizo, raw, removed from casing
  • 1 lb ground beef chuck (80/20 lean to fat)
  • 4 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 cup Chipotle Stout
  • 14 oz stewed diced tomatoes (canned is fine)
  • 1 chipotle pepper in adobo (from can), minced plus more if desired
  • 1 tsp adobo sauce
  • ½ tsp smoked paprika
  • 1 tsp black pepper
  • 1 tsp cumin
  • 2 tbs Worcestershire sauce
  • Toppings:
  • 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
  • ½ cup cilantro, chopped
  • 2 cups Chicharrones (pork rinds), lightly crushed
  • (Makes 4-6 servings)

• In a large pot or Dutch oven, heat the olive oil. Add the onion and bell pepper and cook until onion softens but isn’t browned, about 5 minutes.
  • Add the chorizo and beef, cook until meat starts to brown. Add the garlic and stir.
  • Add the beer, diced tomatoes, one chipotle pepper, adobo sauce, smoked paprika, pepper, cumin and Worcestershire sauce. Allow to simmer for about 30 minutes, until thickened. Add additional chipotle peppers as desired to raise heat level.
  • Pour into bowls, top with cilantro, cheddar and Chicharrones.

, , , , , , , , , , , ,

28 Responses to Chipotle Stout and Chorizo Chili Topped with Pork Rinds

1. Herbert December 4, 2012 at 3:31 am #

Hey may I swim in this? It looks so good. And pork rinds on a chili is brilliant

2. claire @ the realistic nutritionist December 4, 2012 at 7:19 am #

I just love those lion bowls. And this chili.

3. jessica December 4, 2012 at 10:13 am #

Can you recommend a chipotle stout?

• Jackie December 4, 2012 at 11:27 am #

Stone makes a great smoked porter with chipotle peppers. Bootleggers makes a coffee and chipotle stout called Black Phoenix, but I don’t think they distribute out of Southern California. Mikkeller makes a great one called Texas Ranger. Rogue makes a Chipotle Ale, but it isn’t a stout.

4. Max Hamano December 4, 2012 at 10:52 am #

Hello! Football food this sunday. Done.

5. Katie @ Blonde Ambition December 4, 2012 at 11:03 am #

I wouldn’t be able to keep this one a secret either! Holy crap. I’ve been dying to find a Chipotle Stout since you first posted a recipe using one. I would love to make this once I do! (especially since I have a bean-hating boyfriend who won’t eat my regular beer-filled chili!)

6. Jen @ Savory Simple December 4, 2012 at 1:50 pm #

OMG girl. I am so making this for dinner. You are a mad genius.

7. Cassie | Bake Your Day December 4, 2012 at 2:01 pm #

I do love the alliteration here. This is phenomenal.

8. Bree December 4, 2012 at 7:29 pm #

Great flavor combination here! Can’t wait to hear about your book!

9. Chica December 4, 2012 at 7:39 pm #

Heyah! Gonna make it this weekend.

10. Tiana December 4, 2012 at 8:11 pm #

Genius idea.

11. Tiana December 4, 2012 at 8:12 pm #

Genius idea. Thanks for sharing!

12. Jay December 4, 2012 at 8:20 pm #

I going to try it with this Stone Vertical Epic I found today, http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/147/75086, I’ll make sure to save some to drink too!

• Jackie December 4, 2012 at 8:36 pm #

The 12.12.12 comes out this weekend, I believe. I can’t wait to get my hands on the last version in the series.

13. nw beer girl December 5, 2012 at 6:31 am #

Wow , thank you! I will be making this

14. Ashley - Baker by Nature December 5, 2012 at 10:19 am #

Wowza, this is like my dream chili!!! I’m amazed at how much you are doing right now!

15. Megan {Country Cleaver} December 5, 2012 at 6:49 pm #

I’ll take an obnoxiously large spoon and a full pot of this.

16. Amber @ Slim Pickin's Kitchen December 6, 2012 at 8:46 am #

Ok, first off…you had this southern girl at pork rinds. And 2nd? Holy crap chorizo in chili, how have I never thought of this before?!? And for your cookcook, hurry up! I can’t wait to have it in hand ;)

17. addie | culicurious December 10, 2012 at 6:45 pm #

Wow, this looks great!! I’m sure your cookbook will be a smash hit :) Can’t wait to see it. Definitely want to participate in your testing “cook alongs” if you need any help :)

18. Katie January 2, 2013 at 3:13 pm #

I can’t find anyone in my area who sells a Chipotle Stout….Can your recommend another type of Stout that might be a good substitute?

• Jackie January 2, 2013 at 4:04 pm #

What area are you in?

• Katie January 3, 2013 at 3:34 pm #

Milwaukee, WI

19. Kerry Krassner January 11, 2013 at 8:33 am #

Chipotle Stout? I’m in Montville, Connecticut Thanks!

• Jackie January 11, 2013 at 8:49 am #

The easiest to get, if you can’t find anything from a local brewery, are the ones from Rogue and Stone. The Rogue Chipotle Ale isn’t a stout, but it will work well. And the Stone Smoked Porter with Chipotle Peppers is fabulous. If you can’t find either a stout with coffee notes will work as well.

20. Ashley February 25, 2013 at 9:26 am #

Hi there! This recipe sounds amazing – do you think this could be adapted for a slow cooker? I’d love to try this out for an upcoming potluck at my office. Thanks!

• Jackie February 25, 2013 at 10:04 am #

I really don’t know. To be honest, I think slow cookers tend to muddy flavors a bit. If you try it, let me know how it goes!

1. Link Love: 12 Links We Just Had to Share! | Host The Toast Blog - December 4, 2012

[...] 1. Chipotle Stout and Chorizo Chili Topped with Pork Rinds from The Beeroness Everything the Beeroness makes is mouth-watering, but Chipotle Stout and Chorizo Chili Topped with Pork Rinds?  It’s like a gift sent from comfort food heaven.  Beer, chili, cheese, and chicharrones… what more could you ask for? [...]

2. chipotle chorizo chili | Pink Tiger in the Kitchen - February 7, 2013

[...] recipe from: the beeroness [...]