Chorizo Egg Breakfast Skillet

There is something about lingering over a long breakfast with those I love that just makes me feel like I did something right. Everyone eats dinner, most of us have a few minutes for lunch, but it’s when we take time to sit and spend “valuable, productive” hours of the day actually tasting our food, chatting with those people whose company often gets taken for granted, that the day really become special.

This may be a habit I picked up while traveling in those countries that wouldn’t think of letting a hotel guest check out without being fed, even if you only spent $5 on a bed in a shared room. I think maybe a hotel owner and his wife insisting that the 19 year old American who spoke no Italian MUST sit for a cup of espresso and a some bread before departing had a huge impact on me, especially given that I was broke and had paid less for the room than I would have paid for the breakfast in the States. Some how breakfast and hospitality have since been linked in my brain. I feed my guests. A lot.

This is a great Family style breakfast that takes very little skill to throw together. Tons of flavor, little effort.

Chorizo Egg Breakfast Skillet

• 2 tbs olive oil
  • 1 cup red potatoes peeled and diced (small dice)
  • ½ tsp salt
  • ½ tsp pepper
  • 1 large shallot, chopped
  • 1 bell pepper, sliced julienne, stem and seeds removed
  • 6oz chorizo sausage, removed from casing
  • ½ cup pale ale beer (I used Scrimshaw)
  • 14oz crushed stewed tomates, in juices
  • 4 eggs
  • ¼ cup fresh grated parmesan cheese
  • 1 large avocado, sliced
  • ¼ cup cilantro

• preheat oven to 350.
  • In a cast iron skillet, heat the olive oil. Sprinkle the potatoes with salt and pepper, cook over medium high heat until potatoes are fork tender, remove potatoes from skillet.
  • Return skillet to heat, adding additional olive oil if the pan is dry and cook the shallots and red peppers until soft. Add the chorizo, stir and break up while cooking. Once the chorizo is mostly cooked, add the beer, scraping to deglaze the pan.
  • Add the tomatoes and cook until slightly reduced, about 5 minutes. Return potatoes to the pan.
  • Crack the eggs on the skillet, evenly spaced.
  • Cook in a 350 oven until the whites have set, about 10 minutes.
  • Top with cilantro, parmesan and avocado prior to serving.

24 Responses to Chorizo Egg Breakfast Skillet

1. dervla @ The Curator December 11, 2012 at 9:34 am #

sitting around the table is definitely my favorite time – sip, savor, and enjoy the faces that i too quickly rush past the rest of the day. Eager to try this recipe!

2. Alicia December 11, 2012 at 11:03 am #

oh my goodness this looks amazing. aaaand now I’m starving…

3. Ahu December 11, 2012 at 12:27 pm #

Beautiful! Looks delicious – reminds me a lot of an Israeli breakfast dish called Shakshuka.

• Jackie December 11, 2012 at 6:12 pm #

Totally! It’s like the Mexican version of that.

4. Cassie | Bake Your Day December 11, 2012 at 2:06 pm #

I am drooling over this! Such a hearty breakfast.

5. claire @ the realistic nutritionist December 11, 2012 at 2:11 pm #

Looks fabulous Jackie! I make egg bakes like that all the time.

6. Katie @ Blonde Ambition December 11, 2012 at 2:13 pm #

This breakfast sounds amazing, and I love the imagery you evoked with the travel stories. I have a lot of great memories of traveling through Europe and chatting with strangers in hostels over the free breakfast of baguette, coffee, and jam.

Also, deglazing the pan with beer is genius! :)

7. Bree December 11, 2012 at 2:43 pm #

Que delicioso!

8. Cathy @ Noble Pig December 11, 2012 at 4:22 pm #

Love that story, and isn’t it amazing that those people have no idea how they influenced you. Love this breakfast!!

• Jackie December 11, 2012 at 6:18 pm #

I know! So many people in the world that I have never had the opportunity to tell how much they impacted me. Traveling is one of the best things I have ever done.

9. Jen @ Savory Simple December 11, 2012 at 4:27 pm #

Chorizo and eggs are pretty much my favorite breakfast ever.

• Jackie December 11, 2012 at 6:19 pm #

I love it too. Even since I was a kid.

10. Vespa Woolf December 12, 2012 at 3:53 am #

We have company coming tomorrow, so I have marked this to try. We all love Mexican food and I want to do a nice brunch Friday morning, so this is just the thing! I enjoyed your opening story about Italian hospitality. Thanks!

11. brandi December 12, 2012 at 7:45 am #

This is basically my dream morning in a skillet. We may be making this on Saturday.

12. Kiersten @ Oh My Veggies December 12, 2012 at 10:17 am #

I love a savory, filling breakfast like this. Beautiful!

• Jackie December 13, 2012 at 11:13 am #

This would be really easy to make vegetarian, you would just need to sub soyriso.

13. addie | culicurious December 12, 2012 at 3:42 pm #

Looks delicious – eggs, chorizo, avocado, beer – I’m in love! :) I like hearty breakfasts like this too.

14. Ashley - Baker by Nature December 13, 2012 at 7:39 pm #

This is the kind of breakfast I could just sit at the table and eat all day long!

15. Anna @ Crunchy Creamy Sweet December 19, 2012 at 7:47 am #

My Hubby’s favorite! Can’t wait to try it with beer!

16. a farmer in the dell January 20, 2013 at 3:38 pm #

My in-laws are coming to town (yikes)! but this breakfast will be the perfect thing to make for them!!!! yum

1. Stumbling Over Chaos :: Look away, linkity land - January 25, 2013

[…] Chorizo egg breakfast skillet. (via The Kitchn) […]

2. Chocolate Stout Waffle Sundae with Chocolate Stout Fudge Sauce - February 20, 2013

[…] I put beer in your breakfast on multiple occasions (Like this, and this and don’t forget about this), I would never judge you for eating this pre-noon. […]

3. Spinach Artichoke Dip Grill Pan Pizza - Domestic Fits - April 11, 2013

[…] my favorite, most versatile cooking device. With it I’ve made brownies, bacon fat biscuits, chorizo egg breakfast skillet, countless chicken recipes, the perfect roasted potatoes, queso dip, bread, and now here we are […]

4. Boursin Deviled Eggs - Low Carb - Savory Simple - January 8, 2014

[…] Baked Eggs and Chorizo Pineapple and Coconut – Lobster Scrambled Eggs with Wasabi Hollandaise The Beeroness – Chorizo Egg Breakfast Skillet Damn Delicious – Breakfast […]