Stout Hot Chocolate with Stout Whipped Cream

Stout-Hot-Chocolate_2

I was interviewed by a baking magazine a few weeks ago, because apparently I am the foremost expert on cooking with beer. This was the second interview I’ve done on the subject for a print magazine. One question always gets asked, so I figure some of you might have this same question:

“Does the alcohol cook off? Is it safe for kids?”

The short answer is: yes. The long answer, it depends.

Stout Hot Chocolate 4

Let me explain. No matter how much you cook beer, or any alcohol for that matter, some trace amounts remain. So trace, that their effects will never be felt, nor will the alcohol enter your blood stream. The USDA deems the consumption of cooked alcohol safe for all ages as well as pregnant women, you can see evidence of this when you are able to order steak in a red wine sauce or a rum raisin cake without being carded.

In order for the beer to be cooked enough to remove the alcohol it must be cooked at 170 (or above) for at least 10 minutes. This isn’t much. Everything that is baked will meet these requirements. Pan fried items generally will also meet the requirements, and although beer battered items aren’t cooked for ten minutes, the heat is so high and the amount of alcohol so small (about 1tbs per serving) the amount of alcohol actually left behind is minimal.

Because of this, I see no health concerns with the consumption of cooked beer. The only concerns that I do have are moral. I cook often, and have a diverse group of friends, among them are people who have moral conflicts with alcohol, such as Mormons and people in recovery. I would strongly suggest that if you are cooking for others, let people who may be morally opposed to consuming alcohol know what they are about to be served. Someone in AA might be triggered by the taste of beer, and some religions condemn the consumption of alcohol in all forms, even trace amounts.

Wow, not that thats out of the way, I have a Stout Hot Chocolate for you. And with your newly acquired beer cooking knowledge you have full control over how boozy you make it.

Head over to Rachel Cooks for the recipe.

Stout Hot Chocolate 5

19 Responses to Stout Hot Chocolate with Stout Whipped Cream

1. Cassie | Bake Your Day December 28, 2012 at 9:02 am #

This is such good information. I always assume that the alcohol cooks out but I love knowing the ins-and-outs of it!

2. Ahu December 28, 2012 at 9:16 am #

Congrats on the interview and love your explanations! That hot chocolate looks delicious.

3. amy @ fearless homemaker December 28, 2012 at 9:43 am #

I love your explanation – so many people say, yes, every last bit of it cooks out, while some say, no, it doesn’t all cook out – it’s good to finally hear a definitive answer. And by the way, this hot cocoa looks SOOO delicious. I drink hot cocoa almost every single morning in the cold weather, so this is right up my alley. Cheers!

4. dixya @ food, pleasure, and health December 28, 2012 at 11:21 am #

what a simple but helpful explanation. I always wondered about that. This hot cocoa looks so good. I am not much of a beer person but I occasionally like a good craft beer. thanks for sharing and now i am headed to more recipes in your blog.

5. Rachel Cooks December 28, 2012 at 12:00 pm #

Great info! Thanks again for helping me out with a guest post! Now hurry up and finish that book so I can get my hands on it. :)

6. Averie Cooks December 28, 2012 at 3:01 pm #

Congrats on the interview and those pesky ‘on the record’ questions are so hard to deal with because there can be shades of gray and like you said all kinds of implications and I think your answer (and the recipe!) are brilliant!

7. Katie @ Blonde Ambition December 28, 2012 at 4:37 pm #

My boyfriend and I were recently debating about this while making Hot Toddy’s…though I’ll admit the research we did trying to figure out how much alcohol burns off was done with the intent of *minimizing* alcohol loss ;P

Anywho, stout hot chocolate makes so much sense… and the addition of stout to the whipped cream is just brilliant!

8. Sue/the view from great island December 28, 2012 at 6:25 pm #

Great information, thanks. I love to cook with spirits and I’ve often wondered about how much cooking it takes to remove the alcohol content. Although sometimes I want to retain the alcohol and its effects!

9. JulieD December 28, 2012 at 9:54 pm #

OOoh looks awesome and perfect for the holiday season too!

10. claire @ the realistic nutritionist December 29, 2012 at 9:27 am #

oH HELLO. Stout? In a hot cocoa? Mamma.

11. Ashley - Baker by Nature December 29, 2012 at 9:37 am #

It’s currently snowing here… that means I have to make this, right?! I think the answer is YES.

Happy New Year, Jackie! I hope you and your family have a wonderful time ringing in 2013! xx

12. Erin @ The Spiffy Cookie December 29, 2012 at 1:29 pm #

This is outstanding!! I’ve had a chocolate stout ice cream float before so I know this has to be good.

13. Michelle Collins December 31, 2012 at 11:39 am #

I am literally drooling at my desk. This looks like the perfect winter treat!

14. Amber @ Slim Pickin's Kitchen January 1, 2013 at 10:21 am #

I’ve had hot chocolate two nights in a row now…maybe this will make it the third!

15. monica jacken January 2, 2013 at 6:25 am #

Thank you very much! I’ve always wondered about the cooking and the alcohol

16. Greta January 2, 2013 at 8:24 am #

Oh my goodness! I’m going to make this!

17. moncler jacken January 2, 2013 at 8:40 am #

Best wishes!Your blog is very good!

18. a farmer in the dell January 15, 2013 at 7:27 pm #

This is the hot chocolate recipe that will for sure win my husband over! yum

1. ~ Paying It Forward ~ « My Imperfect Kitchen - January 9, 2013

[…] for an autograph. I mean… ask politely if she’d sign it! How about a little grown up Hot Chocolate and Bacon Pecan […]