Beer Brined Corned Beef Sliders with Pickled Cabbage Slaw

Beer Brined Corned Beer Sliders with Pickled Cabbage Slaw

Conred Beef Sliders with Pickled Cabbage Slaw3

I just turned my completed book into my publisher.

One hundred recipes, along with sixty-five photos, are now out of my hands. You’d think I’d be relieved, so did I, but I’m worried. I just let go of the summation of 90 percent of my waking hours from the past 4 months. It’s in someone else’s care, and that scares the crap out of me.

I have these momentary panics:

Did I make the pavlovas enough, do the directions make sense?

I say jackass in the book, will people hate that?!

Was I clear about how grateful I am for this, or will I come off as smug?!

I even worry about whether or not you’ll like it, as if I’m just an insecure school girl. I thought I would be relieved and elated, but I’m more anxious than I’ve been during this entire process. I want people to love it, to leave me glowing reviews on Amazon and tell their friends about how much they love it. I hope that happens, but for now, I’m still losing sleep.

For the time being, I have a St. Patricks Day recipe for you. I posted my veggie lovers St Patricks Day offering last week, but this one is about that corned beef we all associate with that Irish Holiday.

So if you will, drink a pint and say an Irish prayer for me and my forthcoming book.

Conred Beef Sliders with Pickled Cabbage Slaw

• 2 cups water
  • 3 (12 ounces) bottles of stout
  • 8 cups ice
  • Pickled slaw:
  • 2 cup red cabbage, shredded
  • 2 cup savoy cabbage, shredded
  • ½ red onion, thinly sliced
  • 1/3 cup lemon juice
  • 2 cups apple cider vinegar
  • 1 tbs kosher salt
  • 3 tbsp sugar
  • ¼ tsp groung ginger
  • 2 tbs whole dried allspice berries
  • 2 tsp whole cloves
  • 2 tsp black peppercorns
  • _
  • 12 soft potato dinner rolls, split to resemble hamburger buns

• In a large pot or Dutch oven, add brown sugar, 3 tbs kosher salt, 3 tbs allspice berries, 1 tbs cloves, ginger, mustard seeds, 2 tbs peppercorns, along with 2 cups of water.
  • Cook on high just until the salt and sugar dissolve, remove from heat. Add 2 bottles of stout (reserve the last bottle for cooking) and 8 cups of ice, stir until ice has melted and brine is cool.
  • Add the brisket, cover with lid and refrigerate for 3 days and up to 10.
  • Remove from brine and rinse well. Discard the brine and clean the Dutch oven well.
  • Place the brisket back in the cleaned pot, along with the onion, pour the remaining bottle of stout and then cover with cold water until the brisket is fully cover with one to two inches of water above the beef.
  • Bring to a low boil, cover and reduce heat to maintain a gentle simmer. Simmer for 3 hours or until the meat if fork tender. Move to a carving board, thinly slice against the grain.
  • While the brisket cooks, make the pickled slaw. In a sauce pan over medium heat, add the lemon juice, vinegar, salt, sugar, ginger, allspice, cloves and peppercorns in a pot. Bring to simmer just until the salt and sugar dissolve, remove from heat. Allow to cool to room temperature. In a large bowl, add the cabbage and onion. Pour the cooled pickling liquid over the cabbage and onion, refrigerate for one hour.
  • Slightly warm the buns, fill with corned beef and slaw before serving.

, , , , , , , , , , , , ,

31 Responses to Beer Brined Corned Beef Sliders with Pickled Cabbage Slaw

1. Bev @ Bev Cooks March 5, 2013 at 6:53 am #

I’m so freaking proud and excited for you. Big time. Cheers, baby!

Also, slider me.

• Jackie March 5, 2013 at 6:37 pm #

Thank you Bev!

2. GingerMae March 5, 2013 at 8:06 am #

An entire cookbook dedicated to cooking with beer? – How could you go wrong?! I’m super excited to get your cookbook!

3. Kristi @ Cherry Jasmine March 5, 2013 at 8:30 am #

Congratulations on the cookbook! You have NO worries. I’ve tried several of your recipes, and they are absolutely spot-on fabulous. You’ve got this. Girl ~ you’ve GOT this!

• Jackie March 5, 2013 at 6:38 pm #

You’re so sweet Krisit, thank you sooooo much for testing some out for me :)

4. claire @ the realistic nutritionist March 5, 2013 at 8:55 am #

WAHOO!!!! And trust me, I totally understand. But I know it’s amazing :)

5. addie | culicurious March 5, 2013 at 9:05 am #

I am sure your cookbook will be awesome! :) Your personality is sure to shine through. I can’t wait to see it.

BTW, this recipe looks delicious too! I’ve never actually made corned beef but this makes it look rather easy :)

6. Denise March 5, 2013 at 10:37 am #

Once again, this looks amazing. I’m all for DIY foodstuffs, why buy packaged corned beef when you can make it yourself. And who knew it would be so easy?! This is going on my table this weekend.

And, add my name to the list of people counting down days until your book hits the shelves. Thank YOU for sharing your love of cooking with beer!

7. Cassie | Bake Your Day March 5, 2013 at 1:54 pm #

I am drooling for one of these right now. So amazing! And YAY on the book being turned in. I am sure it will be amazing!

8. Natalie @ The Devil Wears Parsley March 5, 2013 at 1:55 pm #

I KNOW it’s going to be a hit!! Ya done good, girrrrl. I can’t wait for it to come out. These sliders look badass!!

9. Bree {Skinny Mommy} March 5, 2013 at 2:52 pm #

I can totally relate to how you are feeling, but I know people will love it–and you!

10. Katie @ Blonde Ambition March 5, 2013 at 2:54 pm #

Corned beef is one of my favorite meals, my part Irish mom makes it every year! The addition of beer sounds great, and it’s totally appropriate given the nature of the holiday :)

I’m so looking forward to your book, and since I always enjoy your blog I doubt there’s anything you could say in the book that would deter me!

• Jackie March 5, 2013 at 6:38 pm #

Katie, you’re the sweetest :)

11. Belinda @themoonblushbaker March 6, 2013 at 7:01 am #

i raise my glass to you jackie, i wish you all the best with your book and future with publishing. I am sure to make this for my feast this st Patrick’s, even though i live in Australia ( any excuse to drink).
    What would you suggest (drink) to go with this?

12. ashley - baker by nature March 6, 2013 at 8:28 am #

Jackie!!!! GO YOU! I am so excited for you, darling!!! And um, really?! These slider look ridiculously amazing! Ridic!

13. Kelly Senyei | Just a Taste March 6, 2013 at 4:17 pm #

Call me crazy, but I don’t drink beer, and yet I will eat anything and everything cooked/soaked/braised/bathed in brew. These look like a great way to tickle the taste buds.

• Jackie March 6, 2013 at 7:04 pm #

It’s a pretty great way to consume beer!Especially meat. And chocolate cake, of course :)

14. Danielle @ The Growing Foodie March 6, 2013 at 5:44 pm #

Congrats on the book!!! That is so amazing and I, for one, can’t wait to read it :)

• Jackie March 6, 2013 at 7:05 pm #

Thank you!

15. Jenna March 6, 2013 at 6:53 pm #

I’ve been wanting to make a sandwich with corned beef lately. I have been going back and forth between grilled or a slider. Leeks or slaw. This looks wonderful, I will definitely give it a try.

16. Nicole @ youngbrokeandhungry March 7, 2013 at 12:37 am #

I know how you feel. I pour my heart and soul in my novels but the hard part is letting them out of my grasp into somebody else’s. But if your cookbook is anything like your blog, full of tasty recipes which I am sure it is, then don’t worry. You have enough loyal readers to guarantee a hit.

17. Jen @ Savory Simple March 7, 2013 at 5:45 am #

Congratulations on the book! Such an amazing accomplishment :) These look crazy good.

18. Tori Biggs April 3, 2013 at 3:15 pm #

You must get hundreds of breweries asking this… But… Would you like some samples sent to you. We are a family run business in the heart of the wye valley, brewing near Tintern Abbey! We brew 8 very traditional ales, they are amazing!!! All very individual and great for different flavours… Perfect for you to try different recipes! We really enjoy this site., and would love to contribute! Let us know if you’d like us to send samples!

Warm wishes
    Tori

• Jackie April 5, 2013 at 9:20 am #

Thank you so much for the offer! Your beer looks fantastic. I generally only blog about US based beer, since that’s where I live. But I look forward to making over to the UK soon and stopping in for a pint!

19. G March 12, 2014 at 10:56 pm #

Not sure if you knew this, but your photos are being used by a store on facebook:

• Jackie March 13, 2014 at 12:44 pm #

thank you!

1. Beer Brined Corned Beer Sliders from the Beeroness « Northern California World Class Beer NoCal San Francisco Sacramento Oakland - March 6, 2013

[...] Click here to read the rest of the article at the TheBeeroness.com website… [...]

2. Beer Brined Corned Beef Sliders with Pickled Cabbage Slaw « Northern California World Class Beer NoCal San Francisco Sacramento Oakland - March 6, 2013

[...] Click here to get the recipe and the full scoop on Beer Brined Corned Beef Sliders from TheBeeroness… [...]

3. Green Beer Cheese Soup (Broccoli Cheddar) with Pesto Croutons - March 7, 2013

[...] I promise you that this is the last St. Patricks day post. Until next year when I will further assault you with recipes for celebrating my love ‘o the Irish, and forcing you to read more stories of my visit to Dublin. [...]

4. 6 Ways to Cook Corned Beef | Today's Every Mom - March 13, 2013