Smoky Chocolate Porter Ice Cream with Beer Candied Bacon

Smoky Porter Ice Cream with Beer Candied Bacon4

Yesterday I was a guest on KCRW’s St. Patricks day episode of Good Food. The host was Evan Kleiman, a chef, author and Los Angeles food scene legend. She called my recipes, “smart,” which if you are a home cook, sitting in front of an accomplished chef, is the best word you can hear.

Smoky Porter Ice Cream with Beer Candied Bacon3

We chatted about stouts, one of my favorite beer topics. Forget about pale lagers and green food dye, stouts are the life blood of St. Patrick’s day. In preparation for our stout conversation, I asked my Facebook readers what their favorite stouts are, and the response was amazing. My non-scientific poll concluded the most popular stouts among those who have clicked “like” on The Beeroness Facebook page are: Old Rasputin, Souther Tier Choklat, Lagunitas Cappuccino Stout and Founders Breakfast Stout. All of which would be amazing in this recipes, but I used Alaskan Brewing Smoked Porter. Just goes to show how many amazing dark craft beers there are in this nation. If you have a stout or porter that you love, let me know about it. I’m always up for a tall glass of dark beer.

Whatever you use, don’t forget to make it a chocolate bacon beer float.

Smoky Porter Ice Cream with Beer Candied Bacon5

Smoky Chocolate Porter Ice Cream with Beer Candied Bacon

• 2 cups whole milk
  • 1 ½ cups semi-sweet chocolate chips (40% to 45% coca)
  • 1 cup cream
  • 1 cup smoked porter (or chocolate porter)
  • 4 egg yolks
  • 1 2/3 cups sugar
  • 1/4 tsp smoked paprika
  • Beer Candied Bacon (recipe below)

• In the top of a double boiler over gently simmering water, add the milk and chocolate. Stir until chocolate has melted, remove from heat, allow to cool for about 5 minutes.
  • In a large bowl, add the porter, sugar, cream, smoked paprika and egg yolk, whisk until well combined.
  • While continuing to whisk, slowly pour the hot chocolate over the egg yolks.
  • Add mixture to a saucepan, stir over medium high heat until mixture starts to thicken, about 5 minutes. If the mixture is lumpy, pour through a mesh strainer to remove lumps.
  • Transfer to a storage container, cover and refrigerate until very cold, about 6 hours and up to 12.
  • Churn in ice cream maker according to manufactures specifications. The mixture will probably only reach a soft serve consistency.
  • Transfer to a freezer safe container; freeze until firm, about 2 hours.
  • Sprinkle with crumbled candied bacon (recipe below).

Beer Candied Bacon

• 1 cup brown sugar, packed
  • 3 tbs stout
  • pinch cayenne
  • 12 thick cut strips of bacon

• Combine the brown sugar, stout and cayenne until thick and syrupy.
  • Lay bacon on a wire rack over a rimmed baking sheet.
  • Brush bacon with beer syrup on both sides.
  • Cook at 350 for ten minutes, flip and re-brush with beer syrup.
  • Cook for 8 to 10 more minutes or until the bacon is an amber color.
  • Remove from oven and allow to cool. Bacon will harden as it cools.

Beer Candied Bacon Adapted from Oskar Blues via Tide and Thyme.

Smoky Porter Ice Cream with Beer Candied Bacon2

, , , , , , , ,

20 Responses to Smoky Chocolate Porter Ice Cream with Beer Candied Bacon

1. Todd March 14, 2013 at 1:04 pm #

Will you merry me.

2. Laura March 14, 2013 at 1:25 pm #

Killer. I like the addition of cayenne – going to try that next time! :)

3. Kelly March 14, 2013 at 2:18 pm #

Ok so you had me at bacon….this looks amazing! :)

4. Kristi @ Cherry Jasmine March 15, 2013 at 5:37 am #

This looks absolutely amazing. It makes me want to go out and buy and ice cream maker, just so I can make it and have that delicious looking float! Nicely done!

5. Gourmantine March 15, 2013 at 6:19 am #

Congratulations on your feature, how wonderful to hear such compliments from an accomplished chef!
    When it comes to beer based recipes, I’ll just say: you’re brilliant! Smoky chocolate porter ice cream is one of the best ideas I’ve heard in while!

6. Bev @ Bev Cooks March 15, 2013 at 6:50 am #

o.
    m.
    g.

7. Samantha March 15, 2013 at 9:28 am #

I’m at a loss of words for how stunning this recipe looks! Minneapolis is BURSTING with smoked stouts and porters right now: Surly smoke, Indeed’s Hot Box and Northbound Smokehouse’s smoked porter are the three most popular…and now all are BEGGING for this ice cream to be made. I wonder how the Hot Box with its pepper burn on the back end would fair? Sadly for the rest of the country none of the breweries distribute outside of Minnesota. Yet,

8. a farmer in the dell March 15, 2013 at 11:13 am #

Bacon, ice cream, porter. I think I just died and went to heaven!

9. ashley - baker by nature March 15, 2013 at 3:58 pm #

Go you, Jackie!!! Seriously, you’re genius, lady! And this post has me dreaming of beer, chocolate, and bacon right now.

10. ashley - baker by nature March 15, 2013 at 3:59 pm #

11. Neeli March 15, 2013 at 6:19 pm #

Aaaaamazing! I have got this bookmarked. I want to try it with Southern Tier’s Creme Brûlée Stout!

12. Valerie @ From Valerie's Kitchen March 16, 2013 at 2:19 pm #

I’m loving the idea of that bacon in so many different recipes. Stouts have always been my favorite type of beer and we’ll definitely be drinking a couple on St. Patrick’s Day!

13. Shadley March 16, 2013 at 2:43 pm #

huh…. are you single? lol

14. Adrian A June 21, 2013 at 1:35 pm #

this recipe looks amazing / contest ready!
    I will most definitely use elements of this recipe for my contest entry…
    let’s see how it turns out!

15. Liz @ FloatingKitchen November 12, 2013 at 5:42 pm #

I made this a few months ago and it was a BIG hit with everyone…..especially the boys :-). Thanks for the recipe!

16. Kim March 6, 2014 at 9:39 pm #

I’m excited to try this recipe out with a coffee porter from a local brewery! I’m just wondering about one of the directions. “In a large bowl, add the porter, sugar, cream, smoked paprika and egg yolk, whisk until well combined. Allow to cool slightly.” I’m just wondering what needs to cool slightly? Thanks!

• Jackie March 7, 2014 at 7:24 am #

Sorry! That was a completely unnecessary direction, I took it out.

1. Recipe: Stout Truffles Rolled in Pretzels or Bacon | Good Food - March 14, 2013

[…] can find more beer soaked recipes (Smoky Chocolate Porter Ice Cream with Beer Candied Bacon anyone???) on Jackie’s blog. Keep an eye out for her cookbook which is due out this […]

2. Crème glacée à la bière or Beer Ice Cream! | Tasting Nitch - June 19, 2013

[…] come from the Beeroness and she fails not in the least with his devilishly decadent number with smokey chocolate porter and candied beer bacon. […]

3. Ice Cream Round-Up | Cravings of a Lunatic - July 7, 2013

[…] Smoky Chocolate Porter Ice Cream with Beer Candied Bacon by The Beeroness […]