Beer Candied Pecans

last September I was able to visit Bear Republic. I was able to jump behind the bar, chat with brewers and sample everything from the Peter Brown Tribute to the Grand Am, right from the source.  Solid beers that are becoming easier to find across the US as their distribution expands.

Bear Republic2

Maybe it was the gorgeous Northern California setting, or the charming bar managers, or the fantastically solid beer, but I became a fan of what this growing team is doing up North. And then they go and make a Black IPA, one of my favorite new styles.

Black IPA’s are becoming more common, a great trend that craft breweries are embracing all over the US. Maybe as a way to satisfy people like me, stout lovers who also adore an IPA. A hoppy beer, with a roasted malt that adds a smooth, balanced, nearly stout like flavor. The Black Racer IPA is a great example of this growing beer phenomenon.

Black Racer IPA

Black Racer is just as hoppy as you want an IPA to be, but with a smoother, rounded malty finish. It has a leaning towards a traditional IPA, with high notes like citrus and pine as well as a fairly high carbonation, but with some dark beer flavors of malt and coffee.

Black IPA’s are both a great example of how the creativity of brewers are blurring the lines of beer styles, as well as another great, endless craft beer debate we all love to partake in from time to time. How do you differentiate between a hoppy stout and a dark IPA? Brewers discretion?

When it’s this good, they can call it what they want and the brewers will always have my full support.

Beer Candied Pecans3

Beer Candied Pecans

• 1/2 cup black IPA
  • 1 cup golden brown sugar, packed
  • ½ tsp salt
  • 1 tbs butter
  • 2 cups pecan halves

• Preheat oven to 250.
  • In a pot over high heat add the beer and brown sugar. Stir until the sugar has dissolved.
  • Clip a candy thermometer on the side of the pan. Bring liquid to 235 degrees, remove from heat.
  • Add the butter, stir until combined.
  • Add salt and pecans; stir until the pecans have all been coated.
  • Pour pecans on to a baking sheet that has been covered with a silicon baking mat (or parchment paper that has been sprayed with cooking spray).
  • Spread pecans evenly over the sheet.
  • Bake at 250 for 15 minutes, stir and bake for an additional 15 minutes (if the pecans look foamy, stir until the bubbles have dissolved).
  • Allow to cool to room temperature, break apart.

Notes

To increase the beer flavor, reduce 1 cup of beer down to 1/2 cup needed for this recipe.

Beer Candied Pecans4

, , , ,

31 Responses to Beer Candied Pecans

1. Averie @ Averie Cooks March 27, 2013 at 2:39 am #

Keep me away from candied nuts. I love them a little bit too much!

• Jackie March 27, 2013 at 8:49 am #

I know, I’m the same way. I can’t even think about anything else if I have some in the house!

2. Ali | Gimme Some Oven March 27, 2013 at 6:54 am #

Oooh – now I want to try a black IPA.

These candied pecans look absolutely incredible! Beautiful photo too!!

• Jackie March 27, 2013 at 8:50 am #

You should! I love Black IPA’s because you get those roasted malty flavors that I love so much in a stout.

3. Bev @ Bev Cooks March 27, 2013 at 7:31 am #

Beer pecan me.

4. claire @ the realistic nutritionist March 27, 2013 at 7:55 am #

beer and nuts, what’s not to love?

5. Dana @ Conscious Kitchen Blog March 27, 2013 at 8:21 am #

This beer sounds amazing! I’ll have to be on the lookout for it here in the Chicago area. Can’t wait to try the recipe.

6. addie | culicurious March 27, 2013 at 9:31 am #

Yum, yum. I love pecans AND IPA. #Winner :)

7. Eileen March 27, 2013 at 11:05 am #

Ooh, Bear Republic is one of my favorite local breweries! Racer 5 makes a pretty constant appearance at our house, is what I’m saying. These candied pecans sound so amazing and rich with the depth of black IPA. :)

8. Cassie | Bake Your Day March 27, 2013 at 2:42 pm #

I’m afraid that I’d eat the whole pan of these. We do love a good IPA!

9. marla March 27, 2013 at 3:46 pm #

Oh girl ~ these are genius. I am all ready a BIG fan of pecans. These are a total win.

10. Katie @ Blonde Ambition March 27, 2013 at 3:51 pm #

Thank you for explaining Black IPA so eloquently :) I have been seeing it around lately and was quite curious!

I made candied pecans as a Christmas gift to give out to family and friends this past year…how cool would I be if next year I gave out BEER candied pecans? Genius!

11. Kiersten @ Oh My Veggies March 27, 2013 at 4:22 pm #

Once I start eating these, I don’t think I’ll be able to stop until they’re all gone. They look absolutely perfect!

12. ashley - baker by nature March 27, 2013 at 4:32 pm #

I’m NUTS for these. Yep… went there.

13. Elise March 27, 2013 at 5:09 pm #

Awesome recipe! Boyfriend’s birthday present add-on, I think!
    Any suggestions for using cashews instead? Assuming this method would essentially work for any nut/ beer combo, would another beer pair better with cashews? (Those are his favored nut.) Thanks for the recipe, can’t wait to tinker around with it, using one of his favorite Dark Horse Brewing beers.

• Jackie March 28, 2013 at 9:07 pm #

I’ve never candied cashews but it sounds great! let me know how it goes.

• Elise May 2, 2013 at 4:31 pm #

Jackie- I made them with cashews and used Dark Horse Brewing Crooked Tree IPA. Turned out well, except next time I definitely need to invest in a candy thermometer! They were a hit though, very addictive. Thanks for the recipe.

14. Kristi @ Cherry Jasmine March 27, 2013 at 5:27 pm #

Yum! I need me some of these right now as I’m enjoying my micro brew!

15. Kristy March 27, 2013 at 7:32 pm #

1/2 of what? — for the salt. Looks delicious!

• Jackie March 27, 2013 at 9:39 pm #

Teaspoon :)

16. Bree {Skinny Mommy} March 28, 2013 at 8:24 pm #

Beer + candied pecans? I am SOLD!

17. Austin March 30, 2013 at 1:51 pm #

How about almonds, and a regular IPA…

• Jackie March 31, 2013 at 8:10 am #

Worth a try! I also like a stout or porter for this recipe, the malty roasted notes would be great.

18. Jenni March 31, 2013 at 11:18 am #

Made these today with our home brewed black double IPA . I didn’t have a candy thermometer so I think I may not have gotten to the correct temperature, but they still taste good.

19. Jenni March 31, 2013 at 5:28 pm #

Took these to Easter dinner and they were a hit with everyone. Not even crumbs were left.

• Jackie March 31, 2013 at 7:33 pm #

Great! So glad you liked them :)

20. Lynn September 15, 2013 at 4:04 pm #

I made these today with Vertigo Brewing Arctic Blast Vanilla Porter….omg….the vanilla and the smoothness of the porter makes them incredible!

21. veggy October 29, 2013 at 5:07 pm #

Tagged ‘vegan’, but butter in the nuts. Oh noooo!

• Jackie October 29, 2013 at 5:44 pm #

Thank you so much for telling me! I’ll change it .

1. create your own: poker party birthday bash | painted posies - February 21, 2014

[…] here for the red velvet cheese ball, here for the bacon, here for the jello shots and here for the […]

2. Beer-Candied Pralines & Planning my Brew-Day! | Attempts in Domesticity - February 26, 2014

[…] a lot of research, my first project was these beer-candied pecans from The Beeroness. They were a dream — easy to make, required few ingredients, and were […]