Avocado Risotto with Beer Butter Shrimp

Avocado Risotto with Beer Butter Shrimp5

Avocado season in California is pretty fantastic, avocados are so easy to come by. Of course, they’re great for you. Lots of minerals, antioxidants, healthy fat, but to be honest this is a food I’d eat even if it was bad for me. It’s flavor, texture and even gorgeous color has me hooked. It’s also my go-to when I want to add creaminess to a vegan meal.

I’ve told you before that Risotto is one of my favorite meals and adding one of my favorite members of the produce family just makes it better. Top it with some beer butter shrimp and you have yourself a dinnertime winner.

For this I used Allagash White, one of my staples of my beer cellar (I wish I had an actual beer cellar, until I figure out how to make that happen my beer selection takes up residence in the bottom shelf of my fridge). Allagash White is clean, bright, and has great spice and citrus flavor. It does not have the typical strong banana notes that most Witbiers have, which puts it over the top in my book, I hate bananas. It has an accessible complexity that makes it great beer to use when introducing people to craft beer.  It’s a great example of the genera, and of craft beer in general.

Allagash White

Avocado Risotto with Beer Butter Shrimp

For The Risotto:
  • 4 cups chicken broth
  • ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
  • 3 tbs heavy cream
  • 1 large avocado, chopped (skin and seed discarded)
  • 6 tbsp unsalted butter
  • ½ tsp chili powder
  • ¼ tsp smoked paprika
  • ½ tsp garlic powder
  • ½ tsp salt
  • ½ tsp pepper
  • 1lb raw shrimp, peeled and deveined

• Place the chicken broth in a saucepan and bring to a mild simmer, keeping to warm, but not boiling.
  • In a food processor or blender add the cream, parmesan and avocado, process until smooth, set aside.
  • In a separate pot, add the butter and allow to melt over medium heat. Add the shallots and oil, cook until transparent, but don’t allow to brown. Add the garlic and cook until you can smell it, about 20 seconds
  • Stir in the rice, cooking until the rice is completely coated with butter and it smells slightly nutty, don’t allow to brown. About 2 minutes.
  • Add 1 cup of the beer and cook until the pan begins to dry, stirring frequently. About 6 minutes.
  • Add about ½ cup of broth into the rice. Stir frequently until the rice is almost dry, and then add another ½ cup and repeat. This process should take about 20 minutes. Don’t leave the risotto while it’s cooking, the rice on the bottom of the pan burns easily. (if you run out of broth, just use hot water the same way you would broth)
  • Once your risotto is cooked through (taste it to verify that the rice is cooked and not crunchy), turn heat to low and add the avocado mixture, 2 tbs beer and salt and pepper to taste. Risotto should be soft and wet, not dry like typical rice. It should be firm enough to be served as a side on a plate, but soft enough to jiggle when the plate is shaken.
  • To make the shrimp, add 1 cup beer to a sauce pan over medium high heat, reduce by about half, add the butter and stir until melted. Whisk in the chili powder, smoked paprika, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Add the shrimp and cook until shrimp have turned opaque in the center, about 3 to 5 minutes. Use a slotted spoon to remove shrimp from the cooking liquid.
  • Plate risotto, top with shrimp and sprinkle with chopped chives.

Avocado Risotto with Beer Butter Shrimp

21 Responses to Avocado Risotto with Beer Butter Shrimp

1. Bev @ Bev Cooks March 29, 2013 at 5:01 am #

This makes me shiver. The sexy kind.

2. Cassie | Bake Your Day March 29, 2013 at 6:15 am #

I love risotto and beer and avocados. Pretty sure I could eat this for breakfast!

3. claire @ the realistic nutritionist March 29, 2013 at 6:47 am #

JUST RUB IT IN THAT YOU LIVE IN THE BEST PLACE EVER. I want avocado season. wah.

in other news, i want to dive into that risotto and never come out.

4. Dana @ Conscious Kitchen Blog March 29, 2013 at 8:18 am #

Allagash White is one of my favorite beers – though I do like the banana flavors of other witbiers. I find myself ordering one pretty frequently in the warmer months. It’s the perfect beer to drink outside in the sunshine. And avocados? You hit the nail on the head. One of the best foods ever.

5. Nicole @ Young, Broke and Hungry March 29, 2013 at 10:31 am #

Oh how I miss avocado season! Produce just isn’t the same here in Seattle. This risotto looks easy enough for a week day meal but fancy enough to serve to guest. Love it!

6. Ellie March 29, 2013 at 11:34 am #

Beer, avocado, and risotto just so happen to be 3 of my favorite things too! I can’t wait to try this recipe!

7. Katie @ Blonde Ambition March 29, 2013 at 12:18 pm #

I am totally looking forward to avocado season. I know we get avocados for much cheaper year round than most people, but I am stoked for them to be <$1 again!

One of the first risottos I ever made was with beer and it was a huge hit. And I love the idea of avocado stirred in! How unique for a risotto.

8. Julie @ Table for Two March 29, 2013 at 1:16 pm #

simply gorgeous photos. i love that you put avocado within risotto. i bet this is seriously so creamy and delicious. wow, what a great creation!!

9. Bree {Skinny Mommy} March 29, 2013 at 1:57 pm #

It’s one of my favorites too-love a good risotto! I have yet to perfect mine, however. Yours on the otherhand looks fabulous!

10. addie | culicurious March 31, 2013 at 3:52 pm #

Fantastic idea! Love avocado and shrimp together. :)

11. a farmer in the dell April 1, 2013 at 2:54 pm #

I’m drooling. I would give anything to be able to grow avocados up here in Oregon. Major bummer that we can’t. However, that will not stop me from buying some at the store and whipping up this meal. yum!!!

12. Kiersten @ Oh My Veggies April 1, 2013 at 4:49 pm #

I always put wine in my risotto and now I’m going to have to give it a try with beer. This is awesome!

13. ashley - baker by nature April 1, 2013 at 5:58 pm #

You’re constantly making me swoon, Jackie! This dish is just beautiful… (and I want to eat it ALL).

14. Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious April 3, 2013 at 10:38 pm #

Oh man Jason would totally be over the moon when I make this for him!

15. Prez_ups April 4, 2013 at 3:45 am #

Just checking, is the second mention in ingredients of ‘3 tbs heavy cream’ a duplicate/typo, or missing from the instruction?

• Jackie April 5, 2013 at 9:17 am #

Thank you! I fixed it.

16. Peggy April 4, 2013 at 9:04 am #

This looks downright tasty!

17. Alma Gaeta May 20, 2013 at 1:34 pm #

This was unbelievable! I shared this recipe with a few friends and have inspired them to make it for their families on birthdays and other celebrations!! It is a great hit for avocado lovers !! Thank you for sharing this

• Jackie May 20, 2013 at 7:51 pm #

Thank you so much! So glad you liked it :)

18. Cathy September 6, 2013 at 11:48 pm #

Stumbled across your blog via Facebook. Having lived in Maine for many years, I love Allagash. It’s hard to find where I am now, but I think I’ll have to search and save some for this recipe. Shared this with some friends who would feel the same. Thanks for the recipes!

1. Avocado Risotto with Beer Butter Shrimp | Jack of all Trades - April 10, 2013

[…] A little late posting this… But I had an interview on Monday. One with actual potential, which scares me. I’ve been at my current job for almost 6 years, and I’m always afraid of change. So, to help clear my mind I decided to try a new recipe. Something a little time consuming and complicated, that I could get absorbed in. I went through my favorites on Foodgawker.com and decided on Avocado Risotto with Beer Butter Shrimp. […]