Beerscotti: Chocolate Beer Biscotti, Made with Beer for Beer

Beerscotti: Chocolate Beer Biscotti, Made with Beer for Beer

Something about this just isn’t right, it’s a cookie made to dunk in your beer. Who does that? Maybe I’m trying to start a beer cookie revolution that ends with crumbs at the bottom of your pint glass. Maybe I just liked the alliteration, or maybe this just ends up working. You’ll have to judge for yourself.

Beerscotti: Chocolate Beer Biscotti, Made with Beer for Beer

For this I wanted a big beer, with lots of roasted chocolate malt. Drakes Drakonic Imperial Stout works great, it’s a malty beast, as they say, and has those dry cocoa notes that work with the cocoa nibs and hazelnuts in the Beerscotti. It’s a sippin’ stout, made for lingering and conversation, it’s not a beer that wants to be ignored.

But who can ignore the guy dunking a cookie in his beer? Not me.

Beerscotti: Chocolate Beer Biscotti, Made with Beer for Beer

• 1 tsp cornstarch
  • 1 tsp espresso powder
  • ¼ tsp salt
  • ½ cup hazelnuts
  • 1/3 cup coca nibs

• Preheat oven to 350.
  • In the bowl of a stand mixer, add the sugar and butter. Beat on medium high speed until well creamed.
  • Add the eggs and yolk, mix until mixture is pale and fluffy.
  • Add the stout, vanilla and almond, mix until well combined.
  • In a separate bowl whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, corn starch, espresso powder and salt.
  • Sprinkle the dry ingredients over the butter mixture, mix on low until just incorporated. Stir in the hazelnuts and cocoa nibs.
  • Scoop half of the dough onto a baking sheet that has been covered with a Silpat or parchment paper that has been sprayed with cooking spray.
  • Shape into a log that is about 8 inches long and 2 inches wide. Repeat with the other half of the dough.
  • Bake at 350 for 30 minutes or until slightly firm to the touch. Cool for about 5 minutes. Cut diagonally into ¾ inch slices. Return to the baking sheet, cut side up.
  • Bake until slightly crispy, about ten minutes.
  • Cool on a wire rack.
  • Biscotti can be made up to three days ahead of time and taste the best 24 hours after baking. Store in an air tight container.

Beerscotti: Chocolate Beer Biscotti, Made with Beer for Beer

, , , , , , ,

25 Responses to Beerscotti: Chocolate Beer Biscotti, Made with Beer for Beer

1. Averie @ Averie Cooks April 3, 2013 at 1:51 am #

Normally biscotti is not my thing. But with beer, and how you made it, I’m all about it!

2. Kelly @ Hidden Fruits and Veggies April 3, 2013 at 5:03 am #

Biscotti might be one of those things you love or you hate — and I definitely love it! I think the idea of dunking a cookie in beer is a great (and hillarious) one, any way to get more beer into me is a good way;-)

3. Alayna @ Thyme Bombe April 3, 2013 at 6:51 am #

What a great idea to dunk a cookie in beer! Makes perfect sense to me.

4. Bev @ Bev Cooks April 3, 2013 at 6:52 am #

Soooooooo in.

5. Kaitlyn April 3, 2013 at 7:51 am #

This. Is. Brilliant.

6. claire @ the realistic nutritionist April 3, 2013 at 8:31 am #

There’s everything right about this. You should dip everything in beer.

7. sippitysup April 3, 2013 at 2:14 pm #

Dunking as we speak (at least metaphorically). GREG

8. Kelly Senyei | Just a Taste April 3, 2013 at 3:34 pm #

Oh my heavens! Yes, yes, and 10 more yes’s for this bad boy!

9. ashley - baker by nature April 3, 2013 at 8:06 pm #

I’m all over this! At least, I want to be…!

10. MadSCAR April 4, 2013 at 1:52 am #

Love it! :)

11. Laurie {SimplyScratch} April 4, 2013 at 7:54 am #

Beerscotti! Ohhhh Jackie you are so clever!! I’ve never imagined dunking anything into my beer… but you make me want to do these things! {and that’s why I love you!}

12. Nicole @ Young, Broke and Hungry April 4, 2013 at 8:49 am #

I think you should market this idea! I am not a huge fan of beer but dunking cookies in them would make me drink it everyday.

13. Maggie April 4, 2013 at 1:34 pm #

Say What! This is crazy talk and I like it.

14. Kiersten @ Oh My Veggies April 4, 2013 at 5:23 pm #

Somehow you’ve managed to make cookies and beer look like a classy combination. This is why you are awesome.

15. dishing up the dirt April 5, 2013 at 1:27 pm #

YES!!! love this recipe. You are brilliant lady. Totally brilliant!

16. Ari @ Ari's Menu April 5, 2013 at 9:07 pm #

OMG omg omg omg–YOU DIPPED COOKIES IN BEER!!! You’re my hero.

17. Jen @ Savory Simple April 6, 2013 at 12:50 pm #

I can’t believe how far behind I am on blog posts. I’m JUST getting to this. I want these in my life immediately.

18. Katie @ Blonde Ambition April 8, 2013 at 3:37 pm #

The name “beerscotti” is so clever! I think it sounds like you’re on to something!

19. IngTing August 4, 2013 at 2:24 pm #

I made these! The idea itself is absolutely genious, and the flavour is delicious. But they cracked up too much during the first bake! Which made them fall apart and crumble when I cet them. I’ve barely made biscotti before – any ideas about why this happens, and what I can change to make it work?

• Jackie August 5, 2013 at 10:06 am #

It sounds like it was too dry. Do you sift your flour? Compacted flour can actually be twice as dense as sifted flour, giving you twice as much as called for. Try at least shaking your flour container or stirring it up with a fork to aerate it before spooning it into a measuring cup to get a more accurate measurement.

20. Paula November 3, 2014 at 12:40 pm #

I made this biscotti this past weekend. The taste was great but the texture was off. What do you think happened?

1. A Few Random Morning Links … | The Pretense of Knowledge - April 4, 2013

[…] some food: Chocolate pound cake Beerscotti: Chocolate Beer Biscotti, Made with Beer for Beer Dine & Dash: choclate […]

2. 18 Ways To Get Chocolate Wasted… Literally | Celebrity Gossip and Photos - June 21, 2013

[…] These are best dunked in more beer. Drink your beer and eat it too. Recipe here. […]

3. 18 Ways To Get Chocolate Wasted… Literally | シ最愛遲到.! - June 21, 2013