Classic Glazed Beer Doughnuts

Classic Glazed Beer Doughnuts

We need to chat, you and I. About the Cooking With Beer odyssey I’ve firmly placed myself on and the reasons, both practical and provocative, that I’ve remained such a Craft Beer Cooking Devotee. While I know that the reason you’re drawn to these brew-infused foods may just be the ability to lay down a tray of treats and proudly proclaim, “I put beer in this!” there is in fact, a very functional side to beer baking.

Leavening is the hallmark reason to use beer in your breads. And cakes, and doughnuts for that matter. It gives your baked goods a light and tender texture that just can’t be touched by the water or milk. Making that beer in your grubby paws a great addition to anything that needs a lightness to it. These doughnuts are a great example, the dough turned out extremely light and tender, giving you the impression that it was completely acceptable, nay…imperative, that you eat four. Ok, five. Doughnuts, those deep fried little vixens, can often be dense and tough, but just wait until beers has it’s way with that dough and it’ll never be the same.

Although that isn’t to prevent you from placing a large plate of homemade Classic Glazed Beer Doughnuts in front of a table full of friends and saying, “I put beer in this!”

Classic Glazed Beer Doughnuts

Classic Glazed Beer Doughnuts

Doughnuts
  • 2 ½ cups bread flour
  • ¼ cup granulated sugar
  • 1 packet rapid rise yeast (2 ¼ tsp)
  • ¾ cup wheat beer
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
  • 3 large egg yolk (room temperature)
  • ¼ cup heavy cream (room temperature)
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 4 tbs butter, softened
  • oil for frying
  • Glaze
  • 1 ½ cups confectioners sugar
  • 1/4 cup IPA beer

• In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a dough hook add the flour, sugar and yeast.
  • Add the beer to a microwave safe bowl, microwave on high for 20 seconds, test temperate and repeat until beer reaches between 120 and 130 degrees F.
  • Add the beer to the stand mixer, mix until most of the flour has been moistened.
  • Add the vanilla then the yolks, one at a time. Add the cream, salt and softened butter.
  • Building up speed, beat on high until the dough comes together and gathers around the blade.
  • The dough will be very soft.
  • Add dough to a lightly oiled bowl, cover and allow to sit at room temperature for 1 hour or until doubles in size.
  • Punch down the dough and knead lightly to remove any air bubbles. Place dough in the fridge and allow to rest for 1 hour.
  • Roll dough out on a lightly floured surface to 1 inch thickness. Cut doughnuts out with a 3 ½ inch biscuit cutter with 1 inch circle holes.
  • Place doughnuts on a baking sheet that has been covered with parchment paper. Loosly cover with a towel.
  • Allow to rise at room temperature until doubled in size, about 30 minutes.
  • Fill a large heavy bottomed saucepan with canola oil until about 4 inches deep. Add a deep fry thermometer and bring oil to about 360 degrees, adjusting heat to maintain temperature.
  • Working in batches, fry the doughnuts on each side until golden brown, about 1-2 minutes per side. Remove from oil and allow to cool on a wire rack.
  • To make the glaze, whisk together the powdered sugar and the IPA beer until well combined. One at a time dip the doughnuts in the glaze.
  • Allow glaze to set before servings.

Adapted from: Classic Glazed Doughnuts, Epicurious

Classic Glazed Beer Doughnuts

, , ,

28 Responses to Classic Glazed Beer Doughnuts

1. Sarah | The Sugar Hit August 27, 2013 at 1:33 am #

These doughnuts look fantastic I could crush about 50 of these.

2. Averie @ Averie Cooks August 27, 2013 at 3:45 am #

Omg I want these. They seriously look better than a Krispy Kreme, and I mean that as the HIGHEST donut compliment possible. They are actually the prettiest, most amazing looking homemade donuts I’ve ever seen. WOW. Pinned!

3. Sandi Graham August 27, 2013 at 5:08 am #

Donuts made with beer! Love it

4. Tieghan August 27, 2013 at 5:14 am #

Wow, these look perfect!! Like so perfect! Why have I never thought to use beer in doughnuts?!? It has seriously never crossed my mind, but I have a feeling it will be all I can think about now. I need to make these!

5. Bree (Skinny Mommy) August 27, 2013 at 7:41 am #

How awesome is that concept-Beer + donuts? Love it

6. Katie @ Blonde Ambition August 27, 2013 at 2:14 pm #

These look incredible! And the IPA glaze sounds very interesting. And you’re right, it does feel nice to be able to exclaim, “I put beer in this!”

7. Ashley - Baker by Nature August 28, 2013 at 8:57 am #

I love your food photos so much! And beer doughnuts?! You’re a woman after my own heart!

8. Aimee / Wallflower Girl August 28, 2013 at 1:26 pm #

*Homer Simpson-esque drool*

9. cassie August 28, 2013 at 2:36 pm #

Seriously, what will you come up with next? This is amazing and these look even better than any doughnut shop doughnuts I see around here!

10. dishing up the dirt August 28, 2013 at 3:52 pm #

These look gorgeous! I can’t wait to give these a try on my birthday (saturday) and proclaim to my friends “I put beer in these!” Yum

11. Valerie August 29, 2013 at 9:43 am #

Another excuse to stock up on beer. Thank you. :D These doughnuts look epic!!

12. Maria G. August 29, 2013 at 1:44 pm #

Doughnuts are so tasty but they contain a lot of calories that is why they can be eaten very rarely. But still, kids adore them and it is a great snack for them when they are at school. This recipe seems to be easier than those that I usually use so I`ll try it for sure!

13. addie | culicurious August 31, 2013 at 6:17 am #

Wow these are beautiful, Jackie! :) Probably the prettiest and most bakery-like homemade donuts I’ve ever seen.

14. Amanda @ Once Upon a Recipe September 6, 2013 at 2:52 pm #

Nothing like a homemade doughnut (or 3). I love the addition of beer here! I’m kind of dreaming of using my favorite pumpkin beer in this glaze for a little Fall twist.

15. broma bakery October 6, 2013 at 9:51 am #

You are officially my hero. I am in love with this blog.

16. Sophia @ NY Foodgasm December 27, 2013 at 8:43 am #

YUMMMMO! I need to try this one- I know beer would make these DAMN fluffy!

17. tammy January 16, 2014 at 4:55 pm #

I don’t have a stand mixer. How do I make this recipe without it?

18. Lilly Sue February 7, 2014 at 3:42 pm #

I still have never made doughnuts but these look awesome! And I am a big fan of putting beer in everything :) I agree that they make things light and fluffy. I am going to do this easy version of glaze to top on my Raspberry Wheat Pound Cake! Thanks!

19. Mary Frances @ The Sweet {Tooth} Life May 1, 2014 at 3:01 pm #

Oh my gosh, these are absolutely gorgeous donuts! I agree with Averie, they look better than Krispy Kreme. I’m trying these tomorrow and was wondering how many it yielded?

20. Tony August 18, 2014 at 9:08 am #

how many does this make? Thanks!

• Jackie August 18, 2014 at 12:41 pm #

About one dozen

1. Things I Am Going Crazy For This Week - Half Baked Harvest - August 31, 2013

[...] These classic beer glazed doughnuts. Yeah, I am pretty excited about these. [...]

2. Currently Crushing On. | How Sweet It Is - August 31, 2013

[...] classic beer glazed donuts. [...]

3. Mexican Beer Spiked Churros with Chocolate Dulce De Leche. - Half Baked Harvest - December 28, 2013

[…] learned this from the queen of beer herself when she posted some glazed beer doughnuts that are probably some of the best doughnuts you will eat. I mean jeez, just look at how light and […]

4. For Yours Truly: Twisted Raspberry Wheat Pound Cake | Lilly Sue's Bites and Brews - February 10, 2014

[…] ~Adapted from Beeroness 1 cup powdered sugar 1/4 cup Raspberry […]

5. {GOOD EATS: 12 sweet & savoury beer recipes} | The Sweet Escape - March 14, 2014

[…] 1 / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 6 / 7 / 8 / 9 / 10 / 11 […]

6. Doughnuts and Craft Beer: A Hole-y Pairing | Craft Beer and Brewing Magazine - May 22, 2014

[…] bring this hole-y pairing into your own home, try out the Beeroness’s recipe for Glazed-Beer Doughnuts: there’s wheat beer in the dough and IPA in the […]