Salted Beer Caramel Sauce plus 5 More Edible Homemade Beer Gifts

Beer Caramel Sauce3

‘Tis the Season.

To drink too much, eat too much and blame it all on seasonally appropriate Holiday Cheer.  I can get behind that, excess seems to agree with me. And while we’re at it, DIY’ing a few holiday gifts infused with beer is another great excuse to break into that beer stash. After all it’s better to give, right? Especially if a byproduct of that giving is figuring out what to do with that “leftover” beer. It can’t go to waste, that just doesn’t make economical sense.

6 Homemade Beer Infused Edible Gifts

1. Chocolate Pretzel Beer Toffee

A surprisingly easy to make candy that’s always a big hit. It also makes a great addition to a cookie tray, but be careful it’s hard to stop eating this stuff, it has a crack like presence.

beer toffee FG

2. Stout & Sriracha Beer BBQ Sauce

A little break from all the sweet treats, this is a great sauce to pass along to friends and family. Don’t forget to print out a few recipe ideas to go along with, like these Oven Roasted BBQ Beer Ribs or these  Oven Baked BBQ Chicken Wings.

Sriracha & Stout BBQ Sauce 2

3. Chocolate Stout Truffles

These are pure decadence. A beerified version of a traditional holiday favorite.

Chocolate Stout Truffles11

4. Beer Caramel Corn

A little treat reminiscent of childhood, with a grown up flavor of craft beer.

Salted Beer Caramel Corn 4

5. Beer Candied Pecans

Bring Beer Nuts to entirely new level.

Beer Candied Pecans4

6. Salted Beer Caramel Sauce (recipe below)

Ice cream socials will never be the same.

Beer Caramel Sauce2

Salted Beer Caramel Sauce

• 2 cups sugar
  • ½ cup beer (see note)
  • 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened, cut into cubes
  • 1 cup heavy cream, room temperature
  • 1 tsp flakey sea salt

• Add the sugar and beer to a heavy bottom saucepan over high heat. Stir just until the sugar has melted then stop stirring.
  • Allow to boil untouched (you can swirl the pan a few times to evenly distribute caramel but stirring will cause crystallization) until the caramel reaches a deep amber, almost reddish color and hits 350 F on a candy thermometer.
  • As soon as the caramel hits 350 F add the butter, stirring continuously until all the butter has melted. Remove from heat.
  • Slowly whisk in the cream until well combined.
  • Stir in the salt.
  • Allow to cool for ten minutes before transferring to a glass jar.
  • Keep refrigerated until ready to use, heat the caramel to thin, if desired.

Notes

You want a beer with some maltyness. Look for a brown, red or amber ale that has a strong malt backbone.

18 Responses to Salted Beer Caramel Sauce plus 5 More Edible Homemade Beer Gifts

1. Bev @ Bev Cooks December 3, 2013 at 5:13 am #

Fabeerlous! (sorry)

I want all of it. Just a few more weeks and I can actually drink an entire beer again. Aahhhhhh.

2. Sophia @ NY Foodgasm December 3, 2013 at 12:56 pm #

I LOVE and must make ALLLLL of these! Yummmm! Pinning!

3. Anna @ Crunchy Creamy Sweet December 3, 2013 at 6:11 pm #

Where should I leave my address so I can get all of these? ‘Cause I need them! ALL! Pinning!

4. Laurie {SimplyScratch} December 4, 2013 at 5:29 am #

ohhhhmyyyywoooorrrd. Seriously I want to GET all these as gifts! That beer caramel sauce is amazing!

5. Maria G. December 4, 2013 at 5:45 am #

I have heard a lot about usage of beer in bakery and in preparation of different sauces. I guess that this sauce should be great in combination with beef steaks. Am I right?

• Jackie December 4, 2013 at 9:46 am #

Not really. This is a very sweet sauce. It’s a basic caramel sauce recipe with a hint of beer flavor, it’s not savory at all

6. dishing up the dirt December 4, 2013 at 2:42 pm #

I’ll drink in excess to all of these goodies!

7. Cassie December 4, 2013 at 3:33 pm #

I am dying for a taste of this!!

8. DessertForTwo December 4, 2013 at 6:41 pm #

I’m so with you–bring on the excess! We have January for diets and salads :)

9. lynn @ the actor's diet December 4, 2013 at 10:46 pm #

Beer and pretzels and chocolate? Ho ho ho.

10. allie @ the apothecary bee December 5, 2013 at 7:19 am #

these look amazing!!! i love the simplicity of each recipe idea, how they highlight the beer instead of adding it as an afterthought. i suppose i should expect nothing less from the beeroness!

i cannot wait to try the stout + sriracha bbq sauce. what other beery bbq combinations work well, if you’ve tried them?

11. Meredith in sock monkey slippers December 5, 2013 at 9:55 am #

I’m just…wow…there are no words to describe the happiness in my heart right now!

12. Emmash December 22, 2013 at 10:14 am #

Hot darn. I’m in the middle of making the caramel sauce, and having major issues. The beer and sugar mixture is bubbling so much, it’s threatening to spill over. I can’t make it past 250 F. And I’m using a 4.5 L pot for a double recipe… :/

• Jackie December 22, 2013 at 7:42 pm #

It does bubble up quite a bit, caramel always does. Use a very large pot to make sure that doesn’t happen

• Patti December 28, 2013 at 8:57 am #

It bubbles up much more than standard caramel sauce. Use a HUGE pan.

1. Book Club: Melt + The Craft Beer Cookbook | Katie at the Kitchen Door - December 8, 2013

[…] after about two months, but her three most recent recipes – Chocolate Stout Candy Cane Cake, Salted Beer Caramel Sauce, and Beer-Brined Paprika Chicken – prove that creativity is not a problem for Jackie. […]

2. 37 DIY Food Gifts You Can Make This Weekend | Savvy Eats - December 20, 2013

[…] Stout and sriracha beer BBQ sauce from The Beeroness […]

3. Beers Ahoy! It's National Beer Day! - - April 7, 2014

[…] a little kick to your ice cream scoop with Salted Beer Caramel Sauce from The Beeroness. Your friends will thank […]