Chocolate Stout Pudding with Beer Whipped Cream

Chocolate Stout Pudding2

So I have this problem with comfort food.

Or more, the problem is with me. I find comfort in odd foods. For most people it’s warm food, or crispy carby foods, or cheesy foods. For me, it’s cold food. Sushi is my comfort food. And cereal (don’t judge). And to make this even more strange, ice cream is not on my list of cold comfort foods (you can now judge me). Maybe it’s because I live in a land that is 80 degrees on Christmas, or maybe because I’ve just never been all that normal.

Pudding is a comfort food for me. It has that Summer Visit to Grandmas House feeling, and this version is full of beer and chocolate. It’s cold, but oddly comforting, for those of us that take our comfort that way.

But then again, it’s chocolate and beer, maybe I’m more normal than I thought.

Chocolate Stout Pudding3

• ½ tsp vanilla extract
  • For the whipped cream
  • 1 cup heavy cream
  • ½ cup powdered sugar
  • 3 tbs stout
  • ½ tsp vanilla extract

• In a large saucepan off heat whisk together the sugar and cornstarch. Add the cream, beer, and egg yolk, whisk until well combined. Add the chocolate.
  • Bring to a boil, stirring continually over medium heat. Whisk continually for 1 minute, remove from heat.
  • Add the butter and vanilla, stir until well combined.
  • Pour into serving containers, chill until set, about 2 hours.
  • To make the whipped cream, add the cream and powdered sugar to a stand mixer. Beat on high until soft peaks form. While mixer is running add the stout and vanilla, beat until soft peaks return.
  • Top pudding with whipped cream prior to serving.

Chocolate Stout Pudding6

20 Responses to Chocolate Stout Pudding with Beer Whipped Cream

1. addie | culicurious January 21, 2014 at 5:47 am #

Wow, this looks like the best pudding recipe ever. I like chocolate pudding alot but don’t have it often. Maybe it’s time to change that. :)

2. Tieghan January 21, 2014 at 6:16 am #

I love pudding, but pudding with beer just sounds too good! Love this!

3. Happy Valley Chow January 21, 2014 at 7:03 am #

That looks ridiculously amazing….fantastic job as usual!

Happy Blogging!
    Happy Valley Chow

4. Sophia @ NY Foodgasm January 21, 2014 at 7:06 am #

Pudding was one of my favorite things growing up, especially the skin that forms on the pudding when you put it in the fridge!! I loved pudding so much, that is the name I chose for my first pet, no joke! Now you added chocolate stout, yeah this HAS to happen soon! LOVE it! Great idea!

But one idea I would totally use Bourbon County for the whipped cream, had it recently at a beer pairing dinner I planned and it was amazeballs!

That is all! Love it Jackie!

5. Michelle Lahey January 21, 2014 at 10:23 am #

I literally thought about chocolate pudding for the first time in, um, 5+ years at an ungodly hour this morning…so this post is pretty much perfect right now.

6. Katrina @ WVS January 21, 2014 at 11:07 am #

I totally understand cereal as a comfort food. One of mine is salad rolls…you know the rice paper ones with vermicelli? I could eat a million with my tears. On a happier note, I am in absolute love with this recipe! It looks so great!

7. Jen @ Savory Simple January 21, 2014 at 2:02 pm #

mind blown.

8. Paula - bell'alimento January 21, 2014 at 4:29 pm #

I’m finding my head hit the screen A LOT when I come to visit you. Swoon. Want. Stat.

9. Sophia Purvis January 23, 2014 at 2:26 am #

Wow that was something different Love your Photo’s
    They look so good

10. dina January 23, 2014 at 6:24 am #

these look so delicious!

11. Yead January 23, 2014 at 8:19 am #

Wow………This looking so YUM. I love this. Great idea.

12. Donna January 23, 2014 at 5:37 pm #

I’m confused by the butter. 1 tsp butter and 1 tsp unsalted butter?

• Jackie January 23, 2014 at 7:06 pm #

Sorry! Typo. It’s just one tablespoon unsalted butter (but I’m sure salted would be fine as well).

13. Liz @ FloatingKitchen January 23, 2014 at 6:12 pm #

Cereal is definitely comfort food for me too! I have a bowl when I can’t sleep at night or when I’m snuggled on the couch watching trashy TV!

14. Meredith In sock monkey slippersdith January 28, 2014 at 1:06 pm #

I love this pairing! Like, I want to dive in head first and eat my way out.

15. Heidi February 10, 2014 at 4:40 pm #

This looks delicious! Can you tell me what size glasses you served this in/how many ounces of pudding per serving?

• Jackie February 10, 2014 at 10:09 pm #

I used 1/2 pint glasses, but didn’t fill them all the way. About 6 ounces per serving.

16. Marie-Anne February 16, 2014 at 9:41 am #

I turned this recipe into a cake for friend’s birthday.
    Honey cookies – stout pudding – honey cookies – stout whipped cream – honey cookies – royal icing – bacon bits.
    Delicious!

1. Pi Day (and Chocolate Porter Pudding Pie with Porter Whipped Cream) | Gainfully Something - March 15, 2014

[…] from The Beeroness (she has AMAZING recipes–try her Mirin Stout-Glazed Roast […]

2. Day 55 (It Challenge) Beer-thday Menu and Meal | Naamjai - April 6, 2014

[…] Beer bread, Dancing Beer Can Chicken Salad, with an Orange and Ale Vinaigrette and we even had Beer Whipped Cream on our Birthday Lemon Bisque.  […]