Molasses Stout Glazed Salmon with Herb IPA Mashed Potatoes

Molasses Stout Glazed Salmon with Herb IPA Mashed Potatoes2

No matter how often you move, there are things that you forget. Every time. You forget that you won’t know which drawer to put Sharpie markers and batteries in (they always end up in the same drawer), you’ll turn to grab the knife from where is “used to be,” you won’t know where the Target is, or where to take your dry cleaning, or where to buy the best prosciutto and you can forget about that guy who offered to sharpen your knives for free if you bring him cookies THAT guy doesn’t exist in your new land.

I have a gypsy soul, I’ve never missed my own bed, I don’t have the home sick gene, I’m never nervous about new roads or new words or new food. I look forward to building a new database of people and place. But there is a learning curve with a new place. Things I didn’t know that I didn’t know. I’ve had to adapt to a new climate, one that was not 80 degrees on Christmas, and involves a near wardrobe change when I need to run out to the car to grab the beer I left in the back.

But the upside is that beer would have been overly warm in my old land, in this place, it was the perfect 43 degrees and ready to drink.

Now I just need to find a guy to trade knife sharpening for baked goods and I’ll be half way there.

Molasses Stout Glazed Salmon with Herb IPA Mashed Potatoes

• 3 tbs IPA beer
  • For the Salmon
  • 1 tbs olive oil
  • ¼ cup shallots
  • 2 tbs soy sauce
  • 1/3 cup stout
  • 2 tbs molasses (not blackstrap)
  • ¼ tsp smoked paprika
  • ¼ tsp chili powder
  • ¼ tsp onion powder
  • 4 (4-6 ounce) Salmon fillets

To Make the Potatoes:
  • Add the potatoes to a pot of lightly salted boiling water. Allow to boil until fork tender. Drain and return to pot.
  • Add the remaining potato ingredients, stir and mash with a potato masher until well combined.
  • To Make The Salmon:
  • Preheat oven broiler.
  • Add the oil to a pot over medium high heat until hot but not smoking.
  • Add the shallots, cook until softened and slightly browned, about 3 minutes.
  • Add the soy, stout, molasses, smoked paprika,onion powder and chili powder. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally until slightly thickened, about 6 minutes.
  • Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil. Spray lightly with cooking spray (or drizzle with vegetable oil.
  • Place salmon on the foil, skin side down.
  • Brush liberally with glaze.
  • Broil for 3 minutes, re-brush with glaze, and place under the broiler for 3 more minutes. Repeat (re-brushing and broiling) until the salmon is cooked through and flakes easily with a fork.
  • Serve over potatoes.

Molasses Stout Glazed Salmon with Herb IPA Mashed Potatoes_

, , , , , , ,

14 Responses to Molasses Stout Glazed Salmon with Herb IPA Mashed Potatoes

1. Emily March 5, 2014 at 4:28 am #

I cannot get the thought of these potatoes out of my head. We are absolutely having them with beer brined roast chicken this weekend.

2. Kristi @ Inspiration Kitchen March 5, 2014 at 5:40 am #

I envy your gypsy soul Jackie. I’ve always needed to be grounded. Yes…welcome to Seattle and our ‘weather’. :-) It may not be perfect, but I think this Molasses Stout Glazed Salmon looks delish and perfect – despite the weather! Pinned!

3. Cassie March 5, 2014 at 8:13 am #

I hope you are enjoying Seattle! I love this salmon!

4. Sophia @ NY Foodgasm March 5, 2014 at 8:24 am #

WOAH! I was thinking of adding fish into my diet and this looks GREAT! Sweet and tangy and dayum more craft beer! YUM!

5. Sarah @ Sarah Cooks the Books March 5, 2014 at 10:21 am #

I just moved into a new apartment, and in the new kitchen, I keep reaching for where the knives USED to be. Frustrating.

Also, those potatoes sound like the most amazing potatoes ever.

6. Sara March 5, 2014 at 1:43 pm #

hmm… I think Redmond Town center is your best bet for Target :) Yay for needing hoodies!

7. addie | culicurious March 5, 2014 at 1:56 pm #

What a lovely meal. :)

8. Happy Valley Chow March 5, 2014 at 7:34 pm #

Gosh your posts are always so flippin amazing….another winner that I am bookmarking and trying!

Happy Blogging!
    Happy Valley Chow

9. Tieghan March 5, 2014 at 8:48 pm #

Moving is so hard, but you are way better at it than me! LOL!

This salmon is gorgeous! Love that glaze!

10. janelle March 10, 2014 at 7:29 pm #

I just discovered your blog and I am so glad you moved to what I think is the best place in the world. I know where all of the Targets are as well as the majority of great breweries. A new fave is Peddler Brewery in Ballard or Machine House in Georgetown. Happy cooking and drinking!

• Jackie March 10, 2014 at 10:47 pm #

Thank you! I’ll have to go visit Peddlers and Machine House.

11. darren holmes March 30, 2014 at 1:22 am #

omg I am now so hungry ,love the idea ipa in mashed spud! and going to buy some salmon in the morning!
    have started all grain beer brewing so will now be doing more than just drinking it .
    cheers.

12. Meredith April 5, 2014 at 5:15 am #

This was a wonderful dinner. I think I have found my new favorite mashed potato recipe. The mashed potatoes were out of this world…so flavorful!

1. Blog love | The Salted Peach - March 18, 2014

[…] Beeroness-beer, in everything.  And done really well. Molasses stout glazed salmon with IPA mashed potatoes?  OK SURE. I have a love/hate relationship with this blog because I wish I would have done it […]