Beer Battered Shrimp Tacos with Chipotle Lime Crema

Beer Battered Shrimp Tacos with Cipotle Lime Crema4

There are a few things you don’t realize you’re giving up when you leave LA. You know you’ll miss the weather, the sunny winter days spent sun bathing on the beach, the fact that every band always has a tour stop in your town, and the unlimited Girls Night Out options.

But no one tells you you’re giving up tacos as you know them. And Horchata, for that matter. The brilliance of living in a town so chocked full of authentic Mexican food is really manifested in two ways: toppings and tortillas. Whether it’s a taco truck (the real kind), taqueria, or a back yard party thrown by the family of the girl you work with, real tacos come on homemade corn tortillas. No self respecting Mexican grandma would have it any other way (think of asking an Italian grandmother to serve her pasta with Prego). Homemade corn tortillas are a thing of beauty, soft, warm, and so easy to make. Once you start making them from scratch, you’ll have drank the Kool-aid too, there is no going back.

Which brings us to taco toppings: no one outside the USA puts ice berg lettuce and shredded cheese on their tacos. It’s not a hamburger, it’s a taco. If you like them that way, you should do it. It’s a Tex-Mex part of our National culinary identity, but it’s not authentic. In LA, you get onions and cilantro and the option to add a few dashes of hot sauce if you choose.

Crema is a Mexican staple, but not as often used on tacos. It’s more of a mole or enchilada accessory. But in LA we have these surfers who open taco restaurants after surfing their way up the West Coast of South and Central America. They make fish tacos and serve them with a creamy sauce. Which may not be completely  authentic, but it’s still very LA.

So, what I’m trying to tell you is that these tacos are equal parts authentic and hypocritical. Which, let’s be honest, that’s pretty LA.

Beer Battered Shrimp Tacos with Cipotle Lime Crema2

Beer Battered Shrimp Tacos with Chipotle Lime Crema

• 1 large egg
  • 1 cup flour
  • pinch cayenne
  • ¼ tsp garlic powder
  • ¼ tsp salt
  • 1 cup pale ale
  • Oil for frying
  • 1 lb raw shrimp, deveined, shell and tail removed
  • 1 cup Mexican crema
  • 1 chipotle chili in adobo, minced (plus additional to taste)
  • 1 tbs fresh lime juice
  • ½ cup diced onions
  • ½ cup chopped cilantro
  • 12 beer tortillas

• In a large bowl stir together the flour, cayenne, garlic powder and salt.
  • Add the egg and the beer, stir with a fork until well combined.
  • Add about 2 inches of oil to a skillet over medium high heat (ideally you want to oil to stay around 350 degrees).
  • A few at a time, dip the shrimp into the batter, let the excess batter slide off, then add to the oil. Allow the shrimp to cook until golden brown, about 2 minutes on each side. Remove from pan and add to a stack of paper towels.
  • In a small bowl stir together the crema, chipotle chili and lime juice.
  • Add the shrimp to the tortillas, top with diced onions, cilantro and chipotle crema.

Notes

Chipotle chilies vary wildly when it comes to heat level and it's impossible to tell by looking at them how hot an individual chili will be. Start with the smallest one, then add more to increase the heat level.

My recipe for beer corn tortillas.

Beer Battered Shrimp Tacos with Cipotle Lime Crema

22 Responses to Beer Battered Shrimp Tacos with Chipotle Lime Crema

1. Rebekah {aCricketSang} March 21, 2014 at 5:09 am #

I’m not a huge fan of seafood, but the lime crema looks like something I might have to incorporate into some other recipes!

2. Maura March 21, 2014 at 8:19 am #

Oh my goodness these look delicious. I’m going to CA for the first time this year and I have to admit, I’m mostly looking forward to trying the tacos I’ve heard so much about.

3. Kristin C March 21, 2014 at 8:40 am #

Seattle transplant from CA here. Can’t really help you with the fish tacos. BUT…El Quetzal in Beacon Hill has delicious Horchata, and good Mexican food. My favorite in the area is Senor Moose in Ballard.

• Jackie March 21, 2014 at 8:45 am #

Thank you! I’ll definitely seek those out. The seafood is amazing here, but I have yet to find great Mexican food. But nowhere is perfect ;)

• SIlvatone March 21, 2014 at 12:35 pm #

I’m an LA transplant as well and really miss those So. Cal tacos! If you ever find a place that measures up please let us know.

4. Sarah @ Sarah Cooks the Books March 21, 2014 at 9:05 am #

These hypocritical tacos look amazing! :0)

I recently moved from NC to CA, and I’ve been AMAZED at h ow amazing tacos here are.

5. Eileen March 21, 2014 at 11:36 am #

Leaving tacos behind was one of the worst things about moving from the SF bay to NYC a few years ago. Fortunately, we are back! But in the meantime we got really good at making our own tacos at home. These sound amazing, especially with some home-pickled red onions. NOM.

6. Tieghan March 21, 2014 at 8:48 pm #

I was only in LA for 3 months, but In those 3 months I had the BEST tacos ever!

These look simply amazing. Must make, must eat! :)

7. Maria G. March 22, 2014 at 1:33 pm #

Battered shrimp is an amazing dish. Tacos with shrimps are really delicious. The flavor is very tender and exquisite. Once I have tried the similar dish and I liked it a lot.

8. Paula - bell'alimento March 22, 2014 at 9:41 pm #

Oh me oh my must have stat with extra chipotle lime crema please!

9. Megan {Country Cleaver} March 23, 2014 at 9:11 am #

I approve whole heartedly of your taco toppings GF!! And I need to have a boat load of these beauties! For real. And an unholy amount of crema on top. It is my life blood.

10. addie | culicurious March 26, 2014 at 7:59 am #

I love this idea and I love shrimp tacos. :) Heck, I love ANY taco – from the wee American cheese/iceberg thing you mentioned to the real deal from Mexico – and everything in between. I’ll take ‘em all!!

11. Kim Porter March 30, 2014 at 8:05 pm #

We moved up to WA from SoCal almost two years ago and have been on the hunt for some good Mexican food since we got here. There are a few places that are decent, but we have yet to find comparable tacos. I saw your post for these a few days ago and made them tonight. I added a pinch of cotija cheese and a little habanero salsa, and my husband swears these are the best tacos he’s had since we’ve moved. Thank you!!!

• Jackie March 30, 2014 at 8:12 pm #

That’s great! I love cotija, in the summer I put it on grilled watermelon

12. Mary April 4, 2014 at 6:33 pm #

Looks wonderful! What kind of oil do you use? Do you use peanut or just go with some vegetable oil?

• Jackie April 4, 2014 at 8:05 pm #

Peanut oil is great for frying. I used canola oil because I had it on hand.

13. lululetti July 16, 2014 at 11:44 am #

Hello from your biggest fan in Brazil? Maybe? lol :D

One more adaptation from your recipes (in Portuguese) for the Brazilian beer lovers: http://cafofodalu.blog.br/fogao/tacos-de-camarao-a-milanesa-na-pale-ale/

Thanks for another wonderful recipe.. This is absolutely delicious! :D

1. Sifted: Snickerdoodle Ice Cream Sandwiches, Strawberry-Rhubarb Pie + More - Funky Recipe - Meals - Holidays - Special Occasions - March 25, 2014

[…] keeping it simple, says The Beeroness. She fills corn tortillas with just a handful of ingredients: beer-battered shrimp, diced onions, chopped cilantro and cooling chipotle-lime […]

2. 10 Ways to Cook with BEER! | Love Beer, Love Food - April 21, 2014

[…] these beer battered shrimp tacos from The Beeroness, or Alton Brown’s fish and chips. What about onion rings, or asparagus, […]

3. Fun with Food | Raising Chaos - April 21, 2014

[…] with beer. It adds a flavor to food that cannot be replicated by anything else. These tacos..I want them. […]

4. Taco taste-sensations for Cinco de Mayo - KarryOn - KarryOn - May 1, 2014

[…] the Beer Battered Shrimp Tacos with Chipotle Lime Crema recipe from The […]

5. July 4th Recipes 2014 | Apples to Ziti - June 29, 2014

[…] Beer Battered Shrimp Tacos ;  Ricotta & Sausage Calzones ;  Grilled Zucchini with Lemon Salt ;  Summer Chickpea Salad […]