Porter Black Bean Dip

Porter Black Bean Dip

I’ve been told that a writer is no greater than the sum of their experiences.

Experiences, those I’ve got, more than most. More than I’ll ever admit to. But are the ones I’ve accumulated the right inlay for the foundation of the life I want? I was never anyones high school sweetheart, but I was the mysterious girl at an Italian hotel. I’m not sure I’ve been anyone’s best friend, but I was the girl drinking beer at Elton Johns birthday party.  I’ve never made cookies with my grandmother but I did learn to make a noodle kugel from a 90-year-old Holocaust survivor. I’ve never been to Disney World, but I’ve taken a taxi ride to feed monkeys in Middle Atlas. I’ll never be the person who works at the same company for 20 years, but I have taught anger management skills to gang members in South Central Los Angeles.

Are these the experiences that I’ll be glad I’ve accumulated? Are they the right ones because they’re more rare? Am I missing out on the beauty of a more traditional life? I’m not sure.

But I know that I have a gypsy soul that likes to wander, and doesn’t gravitate towards convention.

Porter Black Bean Dip2

Porter Black Bean Dip

• 2 (15 wt oz) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
  • ½ cup (4 wt oz) cream cheese
  • 2/3 cup smoked porter beer
  • ½ cup cilantro (plus additional for garnish)
  • 3 jalapenos, chopped
  • 1 tsp onion powder
  • 1 tsp garlic powder
  • ½ tsp cumin
  • ½ tsp smoked paprika
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • ¼ cup cotija cheese

• In a food processor add the beans, cream cheese, porter, cilantro, jalapenos, onion powder, garlic powder, and cumin. Process until smooth.
  • Salt and pepper to taste.
  • Pour into a serving bowl, top with cotija cheese and cilantro.
  • Can be served warm or at room temperature.

, , , , ,

12 Responses to Porter Black Bean Dip

1. Taylor @ Food Faith Fitness June 2, 2014 at 3:43 am #

Two things I want:
    1. your life experiences WHOA.
    2. This black bean dip. Beans and beer in a dippable form? I’m in! Pinned!

2. My Kitchen Stories June 2, 2014 at 4:07 am #

Although I totally understand your thoughts, cause I’ve been on that path too, There is no reason or need to want a more conventional life or to conform to anything you have the perfect Gypsy soul.
    Love this dip

3. abigail June 2, 2014 at 4:16 am #

life s short be wild.

this dip looks amazing!

4. Samantha June 2, 2014 at 1:09 pm #

Your gypsy soul certainly doesn’t seem to have led you astray yet!

And Thank you for this recipe. I love adding new dips and spreads to my arsenal.

5. claire @ the realistic nutritionist June 2, 2014 at 1:17 pm #

That’s okay because neither am I :) I crave a life that isn’t conventional :)

6. Filip for Food June 2, 2014 at 11:19 pm #

Thanks for sharin this wonderful post. I love how you write. It makes me want to be like you.

7. addie | culicurious June 3, 2014 at 4:01 pm #

You’re so cool, Jackie. Just cuz you’re you! :) thanks for the great recipes and continued inspiration. This dip looks a-mazing! Making this for my next party for sure.

8. Will June 4, 2014 at 2:46 am #

Not true. I think you were lots of guys high school sweetheart.
    All of my friends and I were in love with you in high school, but we were all just intimidate of you.

9. Elizabeth June 7, 2014 at 11:15 pm #

You’re so cool! I’ve had all those “normal” experiences and they’re overrated. I’d trade em all for your rare ones in a heartbeat.

10. Luisa July 2, 2014 at 6:47 am #

Hi Beeroness!
    Just stopping by to let you know that I became in LOVE with this dip, and have used your recipe (once again lol) on my blog in Portuguese! :D

It’s linked back here and I’m always telling my Brazilian ‘beer people’ about you. We love your recipes! :D

Btw, gypsies are a lot more fun than traditional lives! I’ve lived in 6 different countries but I’m not sure I’m done yet ;)

11. Maggie September 23, 2014 at 7:09 am #

Can’t wait to make this! You may not have been anyone’s best friend but I can testify that you are a GOOD friend.

1. Cooking with Craft Beer: 4 Summer Recipe Ideas | Stouts and Stilettos - July 2, 2014

[…] Fourth of July is right around the corner and you know you’re going to have to take a side dish to that barbecue. Keep is simple and delicious by taking porter black bean dip. For a bean dip, you’ll want to select a robust porter with nutty and roasted flavors. Think Kona Pipeline Porter, Great Lakes Brewing Edmund Fitzgerald, Deschutes Black Butte Porter, or Yards General Washington’s Tavern Porter. My girl The Beeroness is the queen of craft beer cooking and has created the perfect side for a hot day. Just add veggies, pita chips, or a spoon. Find her full recipe here. […]