Blueberry Muffin Beer Loaf Cake
I’ve always been curious.
Probably a bit too curious for my own good, but I’ll take it over safe, and timid. Lately, It’s been gluten-free beer that’s had me wondering (wait, don’t go! Let’s talk about gluten-free beer just for a second!).
It’s not so much the “gluten” part that I’m curious about, as far as me (and my guts) are concerned, gluten is awesome. It’s more of a curiosity about a growing segment of the market that is focused on brewing with different grains. Barley is the only ingredient in beer that has gluten, and brewers are experimental and curious by nature, so what does beer taste like if you brew it with millet instead of barley? What about brown rice? It’s not so much the gluten part that has me interested, it’s the beer being brewed in a different way. It’s one grain being swapped for another. What does that do? The brewing process is the same, what does the end result look like?
To satisfy my curiosity I’ve teamed up with Heather Christo and Allrecipes and we’ve decided to do a LIVE Facebook taste test. This means I have never sampled any gluten-free beer and I will do so live, for the first time, on camera. Also, it bears mentioning that I have a complete inability to hide my feelings. So if a beer isn’t good, you’ll be able to tell right away.
So join me on the Allrecipces Facebook page on Thursday, August 11th at 2PM PDT to watch me sample all the gluten-free beer I can get my hands on. It should be fun. Then, maybe, we can eat this gluten-filled cake to celebrate?
The video is live here: Gluten Free Beer Taste Test with The Beeroness & Heather Christo
And in case you were wondering, this post has nothing to do with this delicious, gluten-laden blueberry cake.
- ¾ cup (195g) granulated sugar
- ½ cup (113g) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon (2g) vanilla extract
- ¼ cup (55g) buttermilk
- 2/3 cup (166mL) wheat beer
- 2 cups (256g) cake flour
- 1 teaspoon (4g) baking powder
- 1 teaspoon (6g) baking soda
- 1 teaspoon (6g) salt
- 1 cup (150g) fresh blueberries (for frozen, see note)
- 1 cup (125g) powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons (16g) lemon juice (or beer for a larger beer flavor)
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Add the sugar and butter to the bowl of a stand mixer. Beat on high until light, fluffy and well combined.
- Add the egg and vanilla, beat until well combined.
- Stir in the buttermilk and beer.
- Stop the mixer, sprinkle with flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Stir until combined.
- Stir in the blueberries.
- Pour into a greased loaf pan. Bake until top springs back when lightly touched, about 55 minutes. Allow to cool completely before icing.
- Stir together the powdered sugar and lemon juice (or beer). Pour over the cake, slice and serve.
For frozen blueberries, rinse well until the water runs clear. Add to paper towels to dry, do not stir into batter. Layer loaf pan with 1/4 of the batter, sprinkle with berries, top with more batter, then blueberries, repeat until all the berries and batter have been used. This will avoid smashed berries and a purple cake.