Summer is almost here. Barbecues, lazy afternoons on the porch swing, long days at the beach, music and card games on the patio until dawn. I realize that a fridge full of craft beer doesn’t always please the masses, but I do want to impart those flavors that are so beautiful anyone can enjoy them, into nearly everything that comes out of my kitchen.
This is my version of an adult punch, a tasty crowd pleaser that will likely introduce your non-beer loving friends to the beverage that you have come to adore.
For this recipe, I used Beautiful Blonde by Knee Deep. With flavors ranging from citrus to grass, it gave this punch a textured tartness with unexpected flavor notes.
I really enjoyed the way the berries and citrus were complimented by the earthier tones of this beer, bringing it together as a well-composed beverage with only a few simple ingredients.
Take some care in selecting a beer for this recipe, looking for a Blonde Ale, or an American Pale Ale with low hops and notes of citrus.
Strawberry Beer Lemonade
- 2 cups strawberries, hulled and chopped
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup fresh squeeszed lemon juice
- 1 large bottle blonde or pale ale (1 pint, 6 oz)
- Add the berries, sugar and lemon juice to a pitcher. Allow to stand at room temperature for 10 minutes for the sugar to dissolve and the berries to begin to break down.
- Add the beer and ice, stir to combine.
- Adjust the lemon and sugar to taste.
*Tip: If you don't want the punch to become watered down by the ice, use frozen strawberries in place of ice cubes.