Huli Huli Beer Chicken, the best chicken marinade!
This is the front runner in my quest to grill all the things. Meaning, it is my current absolute-without-question-totally-serious favorite grilled thing. And I have grilled ALL THE THINGS, as in, I’ve grilled cake and garlic. Not at the same time, that would just be mean to the cake consumption person.
When I say this is the best grilled chicken recipe, I’m putting it up against a huge crowd of great chicken. I’m not saying it’s the prettiest girl in the room, I’m saying it’s the prettiest girl in the state. I could say WORLD, but I’m trying to be realistic, I haven’t actually had ALL the chicken in the world, just a lot of it.
Grilling is keeping me sane this month. It’s my favorite summer activity that’s not canceled, its how I trick myself into thinking the world is normal, even if just for a second. Try it, open a beer, grill some things, and for a few minutes, you’ll feel normal. Even if you don’t, you’ll still have beer and chicken so things could be way worse.
Huli Huli Beer Chicken
- ½ cup (118g) soy sauce
- ¼ cup (50g) packed brown sugar
- ¼ cup (57g) IPA beer
- ½ cup (114g) pineapple juice
- ¼ cup (65g) tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger grated with a Microplane
- 3 large garlic cloves grated with a Microplane
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 medium pineapple peeled cored and sliced
- ¼ cup green onions
- In a large mixing bowl stir together the soy sauce, brown sugar, beer, pineapple juice, tomato paste, vinegar, ginger, and garlic. Remove 1/3 cup of the mixture, cover, and set aside.
- Sprinkle the chicken on all sides with salt.
- Add the chicken to the mixing bowl with the marinade (or add it all to a large ziplock bag), cover, and refrigerate for at least 1 hour and up to 6.
- Preheat the grill to medium-high.
- Add the chicken and pineapple.
- Brush the chicken with the reserved 1/3 cup marinade and turn every few minutes until cooked through about 8 minutes.
- Remove the chicken and pineapple from the grill, add to a serving platter.
- Sprinkle with green onions.