Beery Berry Skillet Cake, super quick and easy! One bowl and ten minutes and it’s ready to bake.
You guys, I’m moving again. I know. I KNOW. In case you’re scoring at home, that will be 6 houses I’ve lived in since I started this weird “let’s see if I can cook all the things with beer” journey. I’m only moving a few miles away, which is much easier than the time I moved from LA to Seattle and tore my entire life apart. This is just moving stuff from one place to another so it’s fine. IT’S FINE EVERYTHING IS FINE.
I am living out of a box-filled house which looks slightly like an organized hoarding situation. I also have packed most of my kitchen stuff so I am limited in my ability to cook the things. Which means I made a cake in a skillet like a weirdo. This is also fine because it tasted amazing and it only looks like 7.5 minutes to get it in the oven. So if you have a limited kitchen situation or just a limited desire for long cooking projects situation, but still want a yummy cake you can eat out of the pan with a fork in one hand and a beer in the other, do I have a recipe for you my friend!
Beery Berry Skillet Cake
- 6 tablespoons (85g) unsalted butter plus 2 tablespoons (29g), divided
- 1/3 cup (80g) beer Pilsner, wheat beer, pale lager
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup (200g) sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 ¼ cup (160g) AP flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups (335g) frozen berries
- Whipped cream for serving
- Preheat oven to 400°F
- Melt 6 tablespoons of butter and allow to cool slightly. Add to a mixing bowl, stir in the beer.
- Whisk in the egg, sugar, and vanilla.
- Add the flour, baking powder, and salt, stir until just combined.
- Add the remaining 2 tablespoons butter to a 9-inch cast iron skillet. Add to the oven until the butter is melted.
- Remove the skillet and swirl to distribute the butter.
- Pour the batter into the pan in an even layer. Top with the frozen berries.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes, or until the center has set and the edges are a dark golden brown.
- Remove from oven allow to cool.
- Top with whipped cream for serving.